Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

The Shetland West councillor said the nine opponents would meet over the next fortnight to decide on a strategy, but were looking at the development committee meeting of 21 August as the place to deal the death blow by refusing to commit a further £965,000 from the Shetland Development Trust

How very professional of them :roll: The "9" need to get over themselves, grow up and move on! I could say more... but not on a family forum :twisted:

Spot on, Twerto! This is not Zimbabwe.

All this talk of "death blows" and similar nonsense is, as has been stated elsewhere on this thread,sour grapes.And insulting to the democratic process. Interesting to note that it is mainly newboy councillors making this fuss, possibly in the vain hope that they can "stamp their mark" on the council. The debate seems to be starting to take an immature turn,reeking of personal pride.

The absent councillors knew when the meeting was, and should have been there if it was so important to them.

If the vote had gone the other way, what options would have been available to the supporters of the project? None.What makes the antis think it should be any different for them, just because they're council members? Shocking.

I imagine one of the reasons for ... I imagine the press would have ....

Subjective.

Personally I feel that if ...

Subjective.

Eh? I don't understand this is at all. This is a forum which surely means that subjective statements are OK. If not it would be a very empty forum. C could hardly have chosen clearer words to indicate that his/her statements are subjective. So what is the point of labelling them with big "Subjective" text? Ought we to label everything in future like this:

Personally I feel that if ...

?

Development committee members on this link;

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/coins/committeeMembers.asp?id=361&bodytitle=Development+Committee

Josie Simpson, Chairman, makes eleven members. Five voted for Mareel, five voted against with Alistair Couper absent. Therefore it could all come down to his opinion on whether the £975,000 is passed or not. Anyone know which way he would be inclined to go?

It won't come to that - it can't come to that.

I'm sure given some "cooling off time" the naysayers will (finally) grow up and accept that they have lost, Mareel is happening and Shetlanders are celebrating.

These councillors ARE NOT REPRESENTING THEIR "CONSTITUENTS" BY FLOGGING THIS DEAD HORSE. It's become a personal vendetta for them, and is embarassing for the whole of Shetland.

Roll on 2010. 8)

Although I think that investment deserves to be put into the arts - I am remain unconvinced that Mareel is the right way to go about it, or for that matter is sustainable in the long term (although hopefully once built hopefully we won't see a mini-version appearing in every village, unlike swimming pools, but thats another story...)

Having said that - at some point a decision has to be made. It has now been made for the second time. If councillors didn't get their say - well tough on them, they should have been there if they had strong feelings either way.

So - in my opinion, the decision has been made, and that should be the end of it. Mareel should now be built, and I truly hope it is as successful, financially viable and good for Shetland as is hoped.

Guest Anonymous

If it makes anybody feel better:

As somebody who was against Mareel, I am sickened by the inability of certain councilors to accept a decision which was reached by democratic means. Their childish attitude has the tendency to increase my support for Mareel.

Guess those councilors will be looking for somewhere other than the council chamber to throw their childish tantrums after the next election. :wink:

@ EM - I'm simply stating "subjectively" that their opinion in my mind was entirely open to interpretation. Yes, their interpretation of what went on - but that's what politics is at whichever level - national and or local - ..... I'm not moderating anyone ... simply putting across a view also. Welcome to the board C ;)

I mirror Auld Rasmies point that the inability to accept a "democratic" decission is what is happening here.

I don't particularly agree with the figures or the design or the placement of the potential facility - what I do know is that something like Mareel and or in the same vein is needed.

What the hell are the reems of documentation from the SIC, for the past decade almost, about encouraging population growth and retainment, about engendering cultural activity and growth, etc. all about then if not what is proposed with Mareel? It's not about capital spend on more care homes and roads and ferries only .... country halls are just that - country halls! and existing facilities have been argued to death and shown to be inadequate for the needs and direction that Shetland Arts are driving towards.

The "centre of excellence" that Mareel is touted as, will bring to the Islands exactly, in my mind ;), what Shetland requires to stay ahead of the game. It will feed into further community based projects and locally built and run industries off the back of it.

Money at this level of attainment and allocation is not how the man on the street perceives their pay cheque coming in and spending it on sundries - it's a whole other ball game! Pot here, pot there, stir it all about ... and do the hokey kokey!

"ladyfootballer"

Josie Simpson, Chairman, makes eleven members. Five voted for Mareel, five voted against with Alistair Couper absent. Therefore it could all come down to his opinion on whether the £975,000 is passed or not. Anyone know which way he would be inclined to go?

Checked the link from 'ladyfootballer' I make the number of members 22

What got me thinking was Jonathan Wills comments regarding the levels of staffing in Shetland Arts. Quite a few of them were at the meeting and have probably attended every council meeting where decisions on Mareel took place. This was not essential as they didn't need to be there. The decisions would have been made without them and if they were not busy enough to have work to do well then I think I have made my point.

To clarify, three Shetland Arts representatives attended the meeting. Myself (I took a day of annual leave to attend, as I have every council meeting regarding Mareel at which I have been present), Gwilym Gibbons (Director) and Kathy Hubbard (Development Manager)

Guest Anonymous
"ladyfootballer"

Checked the link from 'ladyfootballer' I make the number of members 22

My thinking is that Josie Simpson is a sensible, and honest, politician. The Full council voted for Mareel to go ahead, and I'm sure that Josie will back that decision, because it is the right thing to do.

Failure to back the full council's decision now just makes a mockery of the democratic process. IMHO :wink:

I don't like councillor Robinsons' tone. Talk of battles and wars is rude and unneccessary. War against whom? People who make films and music?

Are we to be overrun by a crack team of starving ferrymen who are having the bread taken from their childrens mouths by a bunch of "subsidy junkies". Saying things like "it is more important to spend money on ferries than culture" betrays a lack of experience in political matters, and desperation creeping into this increasingly ridiculous campaign against "culture". Intimating that the ferries will in some way lose out if Mareel is built is clearly a stupid thing to say.To try to set people up against each other just because he didn't get his way is childish and petty.

To reiterate: according to the legal processes of the land in which we live,your bunch have lost.We have won. There will be no rematch. Try and retain some dignity by being gracious in defeat, allowing us to be gracious in victory by not gloating and rubbing yer noses in it.