Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Guest Anonymous
PS @ JAStewart :wink:

Dammit,, I've just found out that I have the "Presidents of the USA" on a CD singing one of Willie Nelson's songs, and they're good... Not as good as Willie, but they sing the butt of the song..

So maybe agreed with you twice in one day..... Rare event.. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Twisted Willie yeah.. good compliation.

Yup,,,, Weird Album. But a great writer, performed by some great singers. :D

Guest Anonymous
goats hair??

i asked for lama wool :twisted:

I winder whit odds wid me med tae da soond if dae tried guid auld fashioned oo fae a Shetland hill yowe. :D

Meybe neever ben tocht aboot, bit wid it be wirt a try. :D

goats hair carpet is just one of the requests for the tenderers to price.

A small percentage of goat hair, often a by-product of the mohair industry, is quite common in hardwearing mixed fibre floor coverings (for some reason I remember that from my days working on building sites)

"Goats hair carpet" isn't a particularly accurate description of such composite materials

And as far as I'm aware, there are no specifications for goat hair carpets in Mareel!

Is it just me or has it all gone very quiet ?! :roll:

Think you may find the tender price is very high, and moves are afoot to offset this by reducing the outrageous specification (goat hair carpets et al) to get the ill fated project off the ground.

Maybe white elephant skins would be cheaper that goat hair :lol:

Why does everyone think that Mareel will be a gold-sink, velvet carpet, computer-screen wall high-tech fancy building? When has this ever been suggested?!

I think its the sheer cost thats why everyone thinks it will have gold velvet etc, the problem shetlands going too have esp if they keep spending like they are is that in 10 years less and less oil money coming in and more and more going out to support ventres like this among many others!! what about your children and then their children. mabye there comes a time when we should accept we have a very good standerd on living and just hold at that because whats gonna happen when all the lesuire centres need up grading etc thats going to be costly!!

think we should leave a music venue just now or downsize why does shetland need the best of the best its just wasting money!!

and how about spend it on making a high school that shetland can be proud of, and by that i dnt mean gold taps i mean well thought out and well built so many generations will have it!!

Spend our money on sumthing which will benefit the whole community as 90% of people living in shetland will have something to do with the Anderson High and dont spend it on just 20% or less!!!

and yes i know it should be too keep our music alive but c'mon 60 yrs ago they had music, young ppl making music, being taught music and they didnt spend all this money then why now????

Things like this (at least this expensive) should go to a shetland wide vote! i.e on paper posted to every home! and for young and old!!

its fair!!!!!!!!!

and yes i know it should be too keep our music alive but c'mon 60 yrs ago they had music, young ppl making music, being taught music and they didnt spend all this money then why now????

I understand your point, but things have moved on, and there are far more opportunities to be involved in music nowadays besides teaching and playing

As an example, I was working on the music stand at the recent Careers Convention at the Clickimin, and of the 25 or so young people I spoke to, about two thirds were interested in new media and audio technology further education

This 'straw poll' is backed up by recent research conducted on behalf of Shetland College which illustrates the need for music related further education and the associated facilities

Mareel's education facilities, in conjunction with the FE courses planned by Shetland College, and various night classes and community learning schemes, are intended to address these aspirations

mabye there comes a time when we should accept we have a very good standerd on living and just hold at that because whats gonna happen when all the lesuire centres need up grading etc thats going to be costly!!

I am the first person that moans about the SIC throwing away money. I am also quite surprised to find myself on the side of the fence supporting Mareel. I reckon that there are enough arty farty types (musically and otherwise) to keep Mareel on its feet.

At your own admission. The leisure centres are going to need upgrading. If the income is less than the outgoings then why should they? Exactly the same with Mareel. It will need upgrading at some point. Especially if it is going to keep in line with the educational needs. If it isn't making a profit then it shouldn't be upgraded. Same applies with everything. We shouldn't keep throwing money at projects which don't prosper. We should do the opposite.

There is a chance of something working which could benefit the community. A huge amount of money has already been spent getting the project this far. Why see that go to waste?

There is a great tendency to direct comments towards one particular aspect of Mareel, rather than the general concept as a whole.

No need to go into it in detail, thats already been done repeatedly.

Yes, they had music and methods of passing it down (recording, if you will) many many years ago, but as PB mentioned things have changed. That doesn't mean the old fashioned ways are forgotten, rather they have the opportunity to be enhanced and developed for both cultural and financial benefit.

Something also often forgotten, is the savings that will be brought about by having recording, editing, and educational facilities based in the islands, thus saving on grants loans and personal investments currently required.

Those things cant be included in any business plan, but are facts.

Facts which are, obviously, conveniently ignored by many... :wink:

The income of leasure complexes always make a loss at least as a whole anyway its impossible for them to profit and certaintly make a commercially viable profit!

the music venue will be just the only worse! these classes etc you speak of how much money are they going to take in as opposed to putting out in the form of extra teachers, equipemnt etc??

how can you say if they dont make money dont upgrade them? isnt that a waste of the public money which was used in the first place to build them??

Dont get me wrong here iam not against the Marrel as an idea or even actaully being built but what i hate is the fact that its costing so much for what it is!! we dont need a cinema as money could be better spent upgrading the Garrison Thetre so it could be uitilised as both this would make a better profit on a builing which is under used and aslo mite keep the interest in a cinema, because no matter what you say anyone thats moved from shetland to the mainland everyone at home says oh you can go to the cinema every night great and ok its good for a mnth but you get bored, run outta money etc and in the end go rarely! ive been there ive seen it myself and many shetland friends and thats the uni age group who you would think would go the most!

we could have a smaller scale building which in turn costs less to build and run!

yes they made a great job of the musem so use there cafe why do you need another one on the doorstep?

another thing which need drastically addressing is why have they spent so much money already? before they even knew they could go ahead with this plan and still its shakey being next to GB Oils, the money wasted on bressay bridge?, the dredging fiasco? a hell of a pattern emerging there all with pound notes heading of down a drain!!

OK so this would be so bad even oil was booming and ecomny was high but its not we as a country are facing serious money issues and mabye marrel should wait till our future of what we have is secured first.

Personal Investments hold on a second your trying to tell me that if me and my friends had got togther we could have gotten the sic to build a university in shetland to save our money on having to go to glasgow and edinburgh?

Personal Investment is a choice of the indivdual. im sure i could find 100ppl who want to ice skate but that dosent mean we need an ice rink built!! Personal choice if you love it so much you spend money to do it!!

Personal Investment is a choice of the indivdual. im sure i could find 100ppl who want to ice skate but that dosent mean we need an ice rink built!! Personal choice if you love it so much you spend money to do it!!

100 or so people got the indoor bowling extension at Clickhimin built, or is the popularity of bowls in Shetland much higher than I thought? Why aren't you directing your venom at that colossal, gold plated white elephant? The leisure centres as a whole require a subsidy of over a million a year to keep them running. That's ten times what the Mareel will require and they will never make a profit. Why aren't you campaigning for them to be shut?

I'm not into sports. The only times I have ever been in the Clickhimin is to watch (the increasingly rare) concerts they put on, or at Up Helly Aa. Finally, after 30 years of waiting, some of the oil money is being spent on something I enjoy. I can't wait and I will be an enthusiastic user of the Mareel. Bring it on!

Personal Investments hold on a second your trying to tell me that if me and my friends had got togther we could have gotten the sic to build a university in shetland to save our money on having to go to glasgow and edinburgh?

There is a university in Shetland, Shetland College UHI

The college became part of UHI in 1997 and since then has been offering a wide range of university-level courses

money could be better spent upgrading the Garrison Thetre so it could be uitilised as both this would make a better profit on a builing which is under used

The Garrison is an all seat venue not suitable for many types of music performances

And the Garrison is certainly not under used. The diary is almost always full, particularly over the winter season. When the doors aren't open to the public there needs to be time for preparative work for upcoming productions, rehearsals etc

Who the hell would go to the Shetland Uni... Part of the student life is meeting other people and how many new friends will you make in uni up here compared to down here? Also, how many students bars are up here?