Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Guest Anonymous

I will never be in the building it will just be another pub for drunks to go to

Only if it's allowed to become that sort of place. Hopefully the staff employed will all have attended the Drink Aware course, and chuck the pi*s artists out, leaving it to be perhaps the only non-stereotypical place in Shetland where somebody can go to enjoy music without getting drink spilled on them, spewed on, asked for a fight, offered drugs, etc. etc.

I know, it's an impossible dream for Shetland to have a venue which doesn't fit the stereotype,,, but dreams can come true, even if it costs an arm and a leg. :wink:

Only if it's allowed to become that sort of place. Hopefully the staff employed will all have attended the Drink Aware course, and chuck the pi*s artists out, leaving it to be perhaps the only non-stereotypical place in Shetland where somebody can go to enjoy music without getting drink spilled on them, spewed on, asked for a fight, offered drugs, etc. etc.

I know, it's an impossible dream for Shetland to have a venue which doesn't fit the stereotype,,, but dreams can come true, even if it costs an arm and a leg. :wink:

I want to visit this perfect world you speak of :D

If you want to keep the professional boozers out play Wynton Marsalis in the bar really loud and don't let anyone change it. Yet to meet a hardcore boozer who likes that guys music.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Why should Mareel not exist?

Simple answer. The post on another thread by Farkoff:

I'm sorry to have to say this, the Tommy Fraser show was a dispointment.

I was waiting for the moment when he decided that the sea was his prairie, and the lightning bolt zapped his heed and he decided to write his own tunes, rather than re-record some songs written by someone else.

To me, it just reeks of Shetland self-importance at the fact that he had the family support to be able to buy a tape recorder and interpret some Hank Williams tunes. He didn't play live after he got a tape recorder because he knew he didn't have anything new to offer the listening public.I was expecting to hear at least one song written by the man himself, speaking of his life and where he came from, but of course, as he didn't write anything, that wasn't going to happen. I felt set up to recieve new and interesting information about the evolution of contry music, and recieved only the the facts that once Burra obtained electricity, a man bought a tape machine and recorded some songs by other people, and this achievement has enabled his descendants to claim some kind of musical heritage worthy of mention. I am not Impressed, especially considering the vast array of songwriting talent contained within these Isles not being given real support at a moment when the international media eye is looking at Shetland for what it can do in the future. If that is the best the past can offer,what hope for the future? I really hope I have not offended anyone directly with this post, because I want the very best for Shetlands' music. This is not it.

I am disgusted to think that a member of Shetlink could have such a nasty attitude towards Shetland Music, such a disrespectful attitude towards a musical genius, and so few brain cells.

Cancel Mareel.

Thomas Fraser just needed a reel to reel tape recorder. The youth of today are so much better, so they certainly don't need a multi million pound emporium.

Why should Mareel not exist?

Simple answer. The post on another thread by Farkoff:

I am disgusted to think that a member of Shetlink could have such a nasty attitude towards Shetland Music, such a disrespectful attitude towards a musical genius, and so few brain cells.

I thought it was an excellent program, although not being a supporter of Mareel, maybe I missed something subtle that only a supporter could discern!

Cancel Mareel.

Thomas Fraser just needed a reel to reel tape recorder. The youth of today are so much better, so they certainly don't need a multi million pound emporium.

I think an i-pod would probably be the modern day equivalent - you can get a good one for a little over £100. :D

come now db we all know that faced with a simple problem the sic way to deal with it is throw a shed load of cash to a bunch of muppets.

The only viable solution must cost millions with running costs likely to be a lot higher than any income generated. future generations of Shetlanders will lookback at this with dismay at the way we wasted all that money.

Cancel Mareel. Thomas Fraser just needed a reel to reel tape recorder
Bear in mind that reel to reel recording and the techniques Thomas Fraser employed to great effect (such as sound on sound overdubs) were pioneering at the time, and he embraced technology. Additionally, Karl Simpson used modern restorative and mastering technology to prepare the recordings for release, some of which Karl had previously believed were 'virtually unusable'. So it's not 'just' a reel to reel in terms of the 4 Thomas Fraser CDs.

Whilst some people apparently think that Shetland musicians should still be recording in their bathrooms on reel to reel tape recorders, things have moved on greatly since then, particularly in terms of equipment and the expectations of the market. It's very different to record a live band, produce electronic music or work with mulimedia than it is to record a vocal with acoustic guitar.

Also, it's worth pointing out that many recordings of Shetland musicians are made outwith Shetland, principally because of a lack of facilities. For example, of recent releases, Brian Gear & Violet Tulloch; May, Mackie & Rhonda and Maggie & Brian's CDs was recorded in Orkney or on the mainland. I hope it's not these musicians that Auld Rasmie is being disparaging about in the Thomas Fraser thread for aspiring towards better sound quality or making use of Mareel's facilities in future.

I'm by no means saying that good quality recordings can't be made with modest equipment, but to state that an acoustically treated work space equipped for a variety of modern sound, multimedia production and education uses, and available to the whole community, should be 'cancelled' because people have previously used a reel to reel to record songs in their house is, I humbly suggest, missing the point.

Cant wait for Mareel, when does building start?

I think I might have to pop home when it opens. :wink:

Looking forward to it and talking about what its gonna bring is what we should be talking about.

I have recorded some songs on computers that most people have thought were done in a studio using the best equipment, but nothing compares to a studio. All the things people will learn with the facilities will be very beneficial to shetland and its students, young and old.