The Rangers & Celtic thread.

JAStewart

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have missed the gist of my post. As Medziotojas has kindly pointed out, this debate seems to get nowhere. It goes around and around in circles until everybody blames each other. Then it starts again.

The fact that none of it has very much to do with football doesn't seem to click with the football 'supporters'.

Exactly it never ceases to amaze me how both sets of fans wheel out the "they're worse than we are" arguments, it's not a matter of who have the worse set of sectarian, bigoted knuckle draggers it's pointing them out as they halfwits they are. Both clubs have a problem that neither of them are doing anything substantial about, still debating which one has the worse problem gets nobody any further down the road.

[Can you name some of these sectarian chants..??/quote]

Any song referencing the IRA, of which there are many. At away games "go home ya huns" are sung to Rangers, Hearts and Kilmarnock fans. This is of course a minority, but still a massive problem.

Quite frankly I couldn't give a toss if you doubt whether or not I am a Celtic fan, I know, as do many others, who i support, your opinion is yours and yours alone.

Answer me this, do you have any Rangers supporting mates?

As I thought, you don't know what sectarian means. Songs referencing the IRA might be distasteful to most but they aren't sectarian. In any case they haven't been heard at Celtic Park for years. The Celtic board have successfully stamped that out.

So, the sum total of your argument is that Celtic fans chant "Go home ya huns" to rival fans who chant something similar back. This is a "massive problem"...???

My opinion is mine and mine alone...??? Really...??? :shock: Wha widda tocht dat...??? :shock:

A minority.

Okay folks, I've put my opinion forward only to have the fully expected replies of "you're just as bad as each other".

My position has been constant throughout in that I believe that Rangers have a far worse problem with their supporters (and not just a small minority) than any other club in Scotland as regards racism, sectarianism, bigotry and violence.

Despite the compliant Scottish media, aided and abetted by the SFA/SPL stating that Rangers as a club have done "everything they can" to alleviate these problems no one can answer the simple question of "what exactly have they done..??"

Furthermore, Celtic's problems are no worse than most other clubs, all of whom (including Celtic) have fans that you wouldn't invite into your house.

Nobody has disproved that.

In fact, the debate has been reduced to a so-called Celtic supporter saying that the away Celtic fans chant "Go home ya huns" and this is a "massive problem".

News for you, nederlander. This same phrase was chanted last night at the end of the Motherwell v Rangers match. I'm guessing it was Motherwell supporters but who can say for sure.? I haven't heard ofany arrests yet or what steps the Motherwell board are taking to eradicate this "massive problem". Maybe you could keep the forum up to date on this..??

So, Pooks, Medziotojas, JohanofNess, Tomblands. Let's hear exactly why you consider Celtic fans to be behavioural equals of Rangers fans. I'm genuinely interested to see the evidence that must exist given that you're bold enough to post your opinions.

I'm guessing there could be some Aberdeen fans among you. It's been reported that Aberdeen fans sing a disgusting ditty about the Ibrox Disaster. If that's true, please show me the evidence of Celtic fans displaying such tasteless behaviour.

Let's move this thread on with some facts instead of me stating my case and the rest of you sticking your collective heads in the sand and hiding behind the "two sides of the same coin" excuse.

By stating that you don't think that pro IRA chants are sectarian, you have highlighted to the rest of us your ignorance and blinkered view of the situation. To be honest, I don't think you really care about the sectarian problem, all you want to do is lay all the blame at Rangers door.

On a ligheter note, good to see Rangers slipping up again, while the injury ravaged champs march on! :D

Sorry to be pedantic but although singing pro IRA songs can be considered pretty repungent it's not sectarian.

It wasn't only catholics who were in the IRA, there are plenty of well known protestants who were members. Catholics were obviously the majority but that represents the demograph of Ireland more than anything.

Wolfe Tone was one of the original founders of Irish republicanism and he was protestant.

The IRA was set up as a political force not a religious one. Followers of any religion could be members of the IRA.

Only songs that are exclusively against one religious group or another can be termed sectarian.

I'm a Celtic supporter and find the whole religious element boring and unneccessary. I think it's really a west of Scotland thing. If the old firm didn't exist these historical religious divisions would just manifest themselves in some other sphere in that part of Scotland. It's just human beings and religion unfortunately.

Sectarianism does not exclusively concern religious matters.

Sectarianism is bigotry, discrimination, prejudice or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion or the factions of a political movement.

A wikipedia quote admittedly, but one that is as whole and exact as you could hope to find.

Jeez, this old firm debate; it's a little like shouting at the mirror. :roll:

So, Pooks, Medziotojas, JohanofNess, Tomblands. Let's hear exactly why you consider Celtic fans to be behavioural equals of Rangers fans. I'm genuinely interested to see the evidence that must exist given that you're bold enough to post your opinions.

I was actually referring to this particular thread. I enjoy watching a good game of football, but football is something that seems to be distinctly lacking from this thread. More attention seems to be focused on what goes on off the pitch.

Any sport, as far as being competitive is concerned, needs a lot of focus from the participants and support from the fans. It should also, and maybe more importantly, be fun. It's when a minority of fans start to take things way to seriously that trouble begins (in bigger clubs that minority can constitute a larger number of troublemakers).

You may be surprised to learn that I am actually a Celtic supporter, although I’m more inclined to watch basketball these days as football isn’t such a big deal over here. I’ll maybe have to switch my allegiance to Hearts; at least they get some coverage. :D

On a ligheter note, good to see Rangers slipping up again, while the injury ravaged champs march on! Very Happy

Yes indeedy!

Furthermore, Celtic's problems are no worse than most other clubs...

:shock: I think its statments like these that does your arguments no favours.

Its simply no true, db.

Why isn't it true..??

Expand on your post please.

It's a mere five years since Celtic fans won awards from UEFA and FIFA.

Yet in Scotland they are considered to be the worst set of fans out there.

Why is that..??

Sorry to be pedantic but although singing pro IRA songs can be considered pretty repungent it's not sectarian.

It wasn't only catholics who were in the IRA, there are plenty of well known protestants who were members. Catholics were obviously the majority but that represents the demograph of Ireland more than anything.

Wolfe Tone was one of the original founders of Irish republicanism and he was protestant.

The IRA was set up as a political force not a religious one. Followers of any religion could be members of the IRA.

Only songs that are exclusively against one religious group or another can be termed sectarian.

I'm a Celtic supporter and find the whole religious element boring and unneccessary. I think it's really a west of Scotland thing. If the old firm didn't exist these historical religious divisions would just manifest themselves in some other sphere in that part of Scotland. It's just human beings and religion unfortunately.

Thank you.

Furthermore, Celtic's problems are no worse than most other clubs...

:shock: I think its statments like these that does your arguments no favours.

Its simply no true, db.

Why isn't it true..??

Expand on your post please.

What other clubs are you spaeking about ?

There are round 60 that play in the Scotish leagues.

I wid say Celtic are second worst.

You say most are worse than or equal to Celtic, go on name the 30 odd.

ok let;s make it easier just name 10.

Tak yer time. :wink:

• 1 month later...