Fuel Prices

mr_brain

I filled up the car in Orkney last night at 137.9/litre for Diesel in Kirkwall.

Is the price determined by latitude?

Would guess it's based on distance from the refinery, I hear that prices in the North Highlands are even more than they are here.

124.9 at Sutherlands/Jims? & 138.9 for the tractor juice an hour ago when I was there.

Think Leasks were 128.9 & 142.9,

:?

Not true about the Highlands I'm afraid ,I was ther 2 weeks ago and fuel here was £1.33 (ulg) , in Wick it was £1.23 , yep 10p cheaper in somewhere that should be more logistically expensive for the fuel to be . someone somewhere is humping us in Shetland good and proper . The next day in Inverness I payed £1.14 for fuel at Tesco (with there 5p off voucher). Thats nearly a pound a gallon cheaper

unleaded 1.21 and diesel 1.37 tonight at the Aywick shop in Yell. Mary has consistently been among if not the cheapest place for fuel in shetland, not to mention the host of other treasures there.

however mary is doing what the likes of tesco do and selling the fuel at little or no mark up to attract customers, which she does, and long may it continue.

The biggest problem is with the monopoly that exists in the shipping of fuel into Lerwick. If there is only one supplier there can be no competition, and also no reason for them to sell cheaper to tesco, as they can't increase sales from 100% in fact probably better for them not to deal with tesco at all.

unless the supermarket wants to go into the fuel importing business then I reckon their stuffed. Best they could do would be to sell at cost which would only shave the odd penny of.

In Kent Tesco's are now charging 110p per litre for unleaded, sorry didnt notice the Diesel price. Its coming down slowly from a high of 120p. you get another 5p off if you spend £50 or more, and its the same at Sainsbury's.

God I couldn't pay 143p per litre, good luck, you need some competition, the sooner the better.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't remember when since we moved to Shetland that the sound, Grantfield and the old Leasks petrol stations all had the same price for petrol, currently £126.9 per litre.

You would think that Scottish Fuels takeover at Leasks woud of seen a small reduction in the price there, especially being Shetlands only wholesaler , now with a fuel station, GITS, no wonder the Office of Fair Trading is looking at their pricing policy.

Mr R Dailly

Sent by email

Snobunny1s@msn.com

Tel (084) 5722 4499

Our ref E-E-E-34786 Fax (020) 7211 8877

Date 4 July 2008

Email enquiries@oft.gsi.gov.uk

Dear Mrs Dailly

Thank you for your further email of 18 June regarding the price of fuel in Shetland. We apologise for our error in addressing you.

We have noted your concerns about the high price of petrol in Shetland. As stated in our previous response, there are a number of factors which may explain the differences in the price of fuels between mainland and Island locations. The low volumes of petrol sold in very rural locations means that petrol retailers in these areas have less business with which to recover their operating costs. Higher retail prices are, therefore, needed if these retailers are to stay in business. The OFT considered fuel prices in the Highlands and Islands were justified by local conditions.

For the OFT to investigate we would need to have reasonable cause to suspect that there has been a breach of the one of the prohibitions in the Act. At this moment, we have no evidence of anti-competitive agreements or behaviour in the supply of fuel.

In view of the above, no further action will be taken in relation to your complaint at this time. Nevertheless, thank you for raising your concerns with us.

Yours sincerely

Seems to me that they are not interested

I put in my complaint after the piece from Tavish Scott was in the Shetland Times asking for letters to be sent to OFT

Above is the reply

As is the situation of Fuel deliverys to Shetland i cannot see any hope of fuel price reductions , not now or in the future.

The only slight chance would come with a change of Goverment who may if we are extremely fortunate reduce the tax on fuel, so our prices are the same as mainland UK.

Yes, i'am seeing pink flying pigs go by the kitchen window!!!

Guest Anonymous

When i was in Norway recently petrol was on a par with Shetland, but diesel was the same price , so cheaper.

Prices in Norway are now down to about 12.4 Kroner per litre, both petrol and diesel. A bit cheaper in some remote places.

But that is a lot cheaper than anywhere in the UK, when compared to wages. In fact, comparing the fuel price to wages, I would imagine fuel would need to be below 80p per litre in the UK to give an equivalent.

Having said that, the cost of a car and maintenance of it, is twice that of the UK, so maybe worse off all round. :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest willz320

Having just driven from Orkney - Scrabster - Aberdeen - Glasgow - Scrabster - Orkney, I saw a fair range of prices.

Unfortunately the highest was Orkney at 119, Scrabster/Thurso at 114, Brora at 115, Inverness 111, Aberdeen 106.9, DUNDEE 104!!, Glasgow 107.9.

I have heard though, that 5p is expected to frop off the prices in Orkney over the next month or two - quite a substantial drop. Much appreciated too!