Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Only guessing at the sums here, but the cost of hiring a road tanker for almost 2 days to do a return trip from Grangemouth to Lerwick and back as well as the freight cost to ship it on Northlink and back for about 30 tonnes of petrol a time to be sold at a cheap price doesn't sound to me like it could make a profit.

Whereas if you were to ship a boatload at a time direct from Grangemouth, the garages here should easily be able to undercut Tesco's price. But then they don't. Wonder why?

I do like the idea of getting them to come to an agreement with one of the local garages to honour their promotion. Perhaps if one of the local garage owners is reading this they will see the sense in forming a working relationship with tescos

Now then, the last time the four of us came up on the Clair, with the car, the return fare with cabins was around £700. But... I had been saving up my Clubcard coupons, which, translated into Clubcard vouchers, came to - £540. It was wonderful. I've still got all the paperwork for it stashed somewhere. What happened next? - we got Northlink, who are far too small in comparison with P&O for Tesco to bother contracting an agreement with for random folk south like me. And it costs a bomb and we can't afford to come.

But... if there are now lots of folk in Shetland shopping regularly in Tesco's and regularly needing to get to Aberdeen - why not suggest to them that a Clubcard arrangement with Northlink would be viable? Everyone would benefit from that!

the problem with fuel up here isnt so much the local shops its the company GB Oils who ship the oil into shetland and keep the price high, its them that has the fuel depot, them that dont wanna move (dnt blame them either),

shipping road tankers full of fuel on a ferry isnt safe at all!!! and def wouldnt be allowed, on inter island ferries they are strapped down even on a calm day and they have space around them.

Fuel has too come too shetland in bulk otherwise its no way viable 22 thousand ppl prob are half have cars plus trucks, boats, planes its a lot of fuel.

GB Oils need an ass kicking!!

anyone know anything about the autogas depot at gremista?

looks like it's highland fuels with pumps....

have noticed some vehicles other than busses filling up there but can't be arsed phoning the number on the side to find out what it's all about

shipping road tankers full of fuel on a ferry isnt safe at all!!! and def wouldnt be allowed, on inter island ferries they are strapped down even on a calm day and they have space around them.

It's "def" not allowed on the Passenger Ships. SOLAS says no.What with the totally enlosed decks and passengers. But with the Clare and the Hascosay as long as it's on the weather deck I think you can get away with shipping practically anything. Different products have to be different distances away from the accomodation, thats why you see the road tankers ,f usually full of Kerosene, and the Calor gas lorries right aft. I'm sure a road tanker with petrol would be okay to ship under the Dangerous Goods code. It's still never going to be financially viable however.

On the inter island ferries somebody told me that technically if they are transporting fuel then thats all they can take on the run. No cars no passengers. But I don't agree with this. Are any of the Inter Island boats totally enclosed?

^^^ I don't think any of them are fully enclosed. I think you're right about the fuel trucks though. I wonder if they have to book in advance and pay for the cost of the whole transition? Anyone know how this works?

BTW, did Leasks drop the price of Diesel and Unleaded this week? IIRC Derv is down (down - hah!) to 142.9 from 145.9

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I've noticed a big drop in prices in Norway over the last week or two.

Most pump prices peaked at about 14 Kroner, but saw one today down to 12.75 Kroner (=£1.27). Having said that the variation in pump prices can go as high as 13.5 Kroner.

anyone know anything about the autogas depot at gremista?

looks like it's highland fuels with pumps....

have noticed some vehicles other than busses filling up there but can't be arsed phoning the number on the side to find out what it's all about

Used to be out at Greenhead, mainly for trucks and buses but some businesses use it for vans