Fuel Prices

mr_brain

My financial advisor ;) tells me that the oil price is now about half what it was in the summer, yet we're still paying over the odds here. I missed the Panorama programme where Shetland was mentioned but relatives were quick to remind me that we in Shetland have the most expensive fuel in Europe. And this, ironically, despite the Treacle Factory being on our doorstep. It's surprising that we're not shouting about this more..

Interesting that Orkney is now using alternative supplier/s.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_10_2008/Scott%20rages%20over%20local%20fuel%20prices.htm

I wondered whether the Wick company would do the extra hop up here too but have no idea whether they could do it cheaper than GB Oils. Alternatively, I'd been musing over the govt's nationalisation of Northern Rock, etc and wondered whether the SIC could step in somehow to provide fuel as a community service - perhaps a non-profit making venture for the community. Bring it in themselves and cut the current monopoly as we're really held to ransom here with no alternatives other than GB Oils. They have us over a barrel, if you excuse the pun.. ;)

While it's good that Tavish and Alistair Carmichael are pushing for an investigation by the Office of Fair Trading into fuel prices in the Northern Isles, I see in the above article that one of our councillors in the north, Alistair Cooper, is thinking along the lines of Shetland doing something pro-active for itself about the situation -

"He added that he supported Shetland councillor Alistair Cooper’s recent call for investigating bulk buying of fuel for the local authority and using redundant tanks at Sella Ness to store it.

He said the Scottish Government had refused to help the isles with fuel shipping costs, so if Shetland Islands Council “can consider this idea they are to be commendedâ€.

Another interesting idea, but probably not viable due to the population size, would be to build a small refinery at SVT. It could supply our heating, petrol and aviation fuel locally and perhaps export? Perhaps if this had been included in the Busta agreement years ago, we could have had years of reasonable fuel prices and be more in control. Just musing.. :wink:

Interesting that Orkney is now using alternative supplier/s.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_10_2008/Scott%20rages%20over%20local%20fuel%20prices.htm

I wondered whether the Wick company would do the extra hop up here too but have no idea whether they could do it cheaper than GB Oils.

Thats actually quite shocking and goes to show exactly how we are being ripped off.

Fuel is shipped to Scrabster in exactly the same way as it is shipped to Orkney and Shetland, by the same tankers from Grangemouth. The difference in shipping costs between scrabster and Kirkwall from Grangemouth can only be peanuts.

For Orkney to be able to then buy fuel from Wick, transport it across the Pentland Firth in road tankers on a ro-ro ferry and retail it at 8p a litre less than they can by buying from the local GB Oils depot, doesn't leave you in much doubt as to who's profiteering here.

I think it's been pointed out on this thread earlier that petrol could only be carried out on the open decks of the freight ferries (orkney has andrew Banks ferry which runs from Gills Bay to St Margarets Hope) and that freight costs would make it unviable, but at that levels of profit I'm beginning to wonder. At 8p a litre thats about £1600 on every 20 Tonne truck load. The freight costs between Orkney and Shetland can't be that much can they?

one of the local contractors told me that it was actually cheaper for them to send a truck from Shetland loaded with IBC's(1000l containers) to the mainland and fill up and ship it back (so that's 2 runs on da ferry with a Lorry) than it was to buy it locally...now that is crazy!

That is so depressing!

Why is Tavish not jumping and screaming from the highest rooftops on our behalf? Why is this being allowed to happen to us? We can't exactly go and get ourselves a tanker (just popping out for a while, dear!) and so our hands are securely tied behind our backs. Surely this is what some organisation is set up to deal with (not sure who?)? We have no choice so they are shafting us.

odd that the calor gas prices have fallen now that they have compation. did i not hear that sullom did produce petrol and then it was injected back into the oil. if so how much would it cost to extract it. surly if its possable to do it up here it would be a lot greener and cheaper.

Why is Tavish not jumping and screaming from the highest rooftops on our behalf?

If he makes a big fuss and no one in government pays any attention he would be forced to admit that they couldn't give a toss what happens to us as long as they get our resources for peanuts.

Why is this being allowed to happen to us?

because we have something they want and are not prepared to pay for

We can't exactly go and get ourselves a tanker (just popping out for a while, dear!) and so our hands are securely tied behind our backs.

Why not there is spare storage capacity in the isles so set up in direct competition with scotish fuels. even better buy the tanks from scotish fuels with a compulsory purchase order and buy and supply our own fuel as a community co-opretive.

We have no choice so they are shafting us.

we have choice just not the polititions with the balls to push it through