Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

Shetland in line for broadband boost

A broadband project and a scheme to support training for people working for small and medium enterprises in Shetland are among the recipients of European funding that will be announced by Scottish finance minister John Swinney when he visits the islands today (Monday).

The Shetland Fibre Optic Network which plan to connect the islands to a recently-laid fibre optic cable between the Faroe Islands and the Scottish mainland is to receive £367,500 towards a project that will cost in excess of £1 million.

The cable is expected to significantly improve broadband connections.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/September/news/Shetland%20in%20line%20for%20broadband%20boost.htm

Excuse my ignorance on this subject but will this benefit the whole of Shetland, in that we will all get better connection speeds and reliability, or will it just benefit certain locations within Shetland?

My understanding is there are at least 2 phases beign planned at the moment, One that will be linking where the cable goes through sandwick to Lerwick and following on from there.. Lerwick to Scalloway.. further roll outs from there will most likely depend on finance and wether or not the first two phases have kicked BT's rear end into gear.

swc123 posted :-

Excuse my ignorance on this subject but will this benefit the whole of Shetland, in that we will all get better connection speeds and reliability, or will it just benefit certain locations within Shetland?

The short answer is all this will not make one iota of a difference to you,me and Joe Bloggs ! This is purely for the big boys with the megabucks.. As long as you are stuck with the same pair of copper wires back to the same exchange nothing will change.

Has anyone else been having awful, awful ping timings post 6pm? Every night without fail my ping jumps from 30ms during the day to 300-600ms at night. Meaning playing anything online is completely impossible.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks and PlusNet have promised me that they're not doing anything. In fact they said they would offer me a refund for the last 3 months if I could prove it was them as they give priority traffic to online games.

So, Open Reach being a pile of useless asses again? :-/ I'd be interested to see some other ping timings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, the Burravoe exchange was upgraded a couple o months ago to 8mb. After a couple of weeks of trying to persuade my parents to phone about getting the line upgraded I went ahead and did it myself.

However, the person at BT told me that our house could not yet receive 8mb broadband and that when we could a letter would be sent to us to let us know.

We still haven't received a letter and I'm starting to think the BT lady was talking nonsense. Why would an exchange that serves 127 houses take several weeks to upgrade?

I live in Lerwick so it's not that big a deal for me but if my folk are meant to be getting internet at a decent speed then I'd like to know just how to persuade the BT people that we're ready for it. This time next year Lerwick will apparently be able to support 100mb, so going back to Yell for the weekend to 0.5mb will seem like an extreme back-step.

Burravoe was upgraded back in July to speeds up to 8Meg, some houses in West Yell are too far out to get any broadband at all. Speed at Ulsta last w/end was averaging at 3886kbps. :) Might be of some help to read the associated forum on Yell and Fetlar upgrade. Best of luck with your battle with BT.

It's in West Yell. We're as far down the line as you get go, attenuation is around 62db. The BT engineer apparently told my folk we shouldn't even be getting a connection at all.

One of my friends a bit further down the road couldn't get broadband so he wrote to Tavish Scott and got satellite broadband installed for free, he just pays the monthly costs. Not the most reliable though.