Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

I don't think so, might have been at one time but not now. Part of the email I sent to them (a year or so ago now) was regarding call centres and they said it was in South Africa...

Yep, you are right, I stand corrected. Looks like when PlusNet took over Madasafish they also gained their call centre in Durban, South Africa.

Full info on the PlusNet Blog.

Glad to see that they didn't close the UK centre and ship things offshore. They actually use the South Africa call centre along with the Sheffield one.

The fella switched us over to PlusNet last night and everything still seems to be in working order. :)

Ok, so it doesn't work that easy. :oops:

The internet went off this morning, much to my dismay, and I had to wait until Tech Support returned from work to fix it. We're switching from o2 to PlusNet. Tech Support phoned up PlusNet's customer service (several times as the phone number didn't seem to be working - no ring nor busy tones) but he eventually did get through to someone. They said they activated the connection, and o2 hasn't yet deactivated theirs, so there was no internet and there was nothing they could do about it until the new modem arrives. PlusNet's modem hasn't arrived yet - it was posted two days ago and we were told there would be a 3-4 day wait for it to arrive (so why did they activate the connection today?). The only reason we're online now is because Tech Support swapped the new PlusNet details for the old o2 ones and voila! success.

Not a good start for PlusNet. :?

@khit: Can you clarify a few of the point you make there. Does o2 use a unique to themselves Modem, or does PlusNet? I'm not following how your service with PlusNet wouldn't work if you have your log in details and the service is activated, unless one of the two companies use a unique Modem.

I'm just using a generic off the shelf Modem at the moment, and was planning on not bothering getting a Modem off PlusNet, as I was assuming all I would need would be my account details and password to log in with my existing Modem, and it would be job done. If only PlusNet supplied Modems work with PlusNet's service, I would be handy to know beforehand,I don't want to end up signed up to PlusNet, my present lot deactivated, and only then having to wait for a PlusNet Modem....for which they charge a lot more for after the fact, than they do when you sign up.

Maybe it's all this ash in the air :evil:

You might not be far wrong, my line speed dropped right off during Wednesday afternoon when the first of it was probably starting to drift in, and all day Thursday its been abysmal.... Of course, with Tiscali you never know, their line speed turns to crap at random anyway.

@khit: Can you clarify a few of the point you make there. Does o2 use a unique to themselves Modem, or does PlusNet? I'm not following how your service with PlusNet wouldn't work if you have your log in details and the service is activated, unless one of the two companies use a unique Modem.

We're currently connected using the o2 modem and the PlusNet log in details. We'll be sending the o2 modem back once the PlusNet one arrives, but it would appear that you don't need the PlusNet modem to use the internet connection.

What is the line speed reported by your modem?

3Mbps download

0.25Mbps upload

Well your data speed can't go faster than your line speed.

Your line speed usually has nothing to do with your ISP.

That uplink speed is very unusual and indicates a problem.

You sure those figures were taken from the modem reporting the line speed between it and its twin in the exchange?

You won't get those from any speed tester.