lumpsucker

Do you believe in ghosts  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in ghosts

• Yes, I am a big scaredy cat
    • No, its an absolute load of nonsense
    • Yes, I am a ghost

• 4 weeks later...

As for ghosts, I've been told that the Black Gaet road is haunted. Never been told by what/who

There's more than one account of people/something appearing in the back seats of cars travelling through the old black gaet road. I think someone speculated on a "ghost car" even. I've no heard any new stories since the new road was built though.

I've also heard a story 3rd hand about somebody picking up a hitcher on the Black Gaet road on a dark night, just to turn round and find that the person they'd picked up had suddenly vanished from a moving vehicle, apparently the person involved was "not prone to flights of fancy".

I've also heard that the Youth Hostel on Unst is haunted. I stayed there once, and we heard some weird knocking sounds from the conservatory area, which seemed to respond to our trying to get "the ghost" to knock again. No idea if there was anything in it or not. Probably just teenage imagination and too many rid tins.

This thread seems to have gone a fair distance without anyone mentioning Busta House. I don't think I have ever spoken to anyone who has actually seen the ghost in that house, but most people seem to know someone who has.

Not Shetland related, but has anyone been on the Mary Kings Close or Vaults tour in Edinburgh? I've heard some fantastic stories about the Vaults, most seeming to involve the ghost of "Bloody" MacKenzie. Apparently in one of the Vaults the tour guide asks all females to stay on one particular side of a room because a number of women had been attacked by "something" whilst on the opposite side of the room. Another tour occasionally asks for visitors to switch off torches to create atmosphere or something, at one of these tours a young girl was standing on the opposite side of the room about 20 feet away from everyone else and when asked she said she had felt someone take her hand and lead her over to that corner.

The tours are something I have always wanted to do, not been in Edinburgh for years though.

Be careful not to mix it up with the Edinburgh Dungeon tour though - good fun but you sure ain't gonna see any ghosts :wink:

Another couple of random ghost story memories.

The Catfirth car: people often claim to see a car coming the other way but it never appears ----trick of the light?

The Oilskin man at the phone box at the north Ollaberry junction, enroute to Collafirth.

I've heard tell a couple of times of this mysterious figure who is seen in or around the phone box, but disappears rather than ever being seen walking to/from the box. Very weird. :?

• 2 weeks later...

Would the wind house every one is alluding to be the house in Mid yell. I have alwas know it as the hoose 'o' windows, me granfaither , used tae tell wis stories ( he wis frae Mid yell) 'n he telt wis dat sumaen wis kilt and burried under da flag stanes at da back 'o da hoose. dat da dead eens haunted da hoose ower newrdy. stories in da late fifties early sixty's

good wan njugle ga'ed me quite a gluff whit an adrenaline rush!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Njugle!!

I'm sorry i can't post it here but i'm not going to be responsible for anyone's nightmares. If you want to see it then click the link. It's up to you.

Click here

No nightmares, but now there is a brown spot on my chair, a wet spot on the carpet, and a head-shaped hole in the ceiling!!

Njugle!!
I'm sorry i can't post it here but i'm not going to be responsible for anyone's nightmares. If you want to see it then click the link. It's up to you.

Click here

No nightmares, but now there is a brown spot on my chair, a wet spot on the carpet, and a head-shaped hole in the ceiling!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread seems to have gone a fair distance without anyone mentioning Busta House. I don't think I have ever spoken to anyone who has actually seen the ghost in that house, but most people seem to know someone who has.

My hubby's folks converted Busta from the Lord Lieutenant's house into a hotel and had it for a number of years. Hubby lived in the attic > but no, never saw the ghost. That's not to say of course that's she's not there.... 8O

Hello all,

Fantastic thread, really interestin' tae hear stories lik dis fae all ower Shetland. Is der any more comin' on da strage CCTV footage fae Gair & Smith's?

I've niver heard o da incident in da auld school hoose in Ollaberry - Anybody keen any more dan whit's been said already? I'm PM'd the kid lookin' fur a copy o da tape. I canna believe Radio Shetland wid cover something lik yun.

Just tae gie my two cents - I spent two years in da JC Hostel an' canna say dat I saw or felt anything ootstandingly weird dere.. Da Oui-Ja board craze dan cam an' went every noo an' ageen wus a bit freaky at times.

I've done a few o da Ghost Tours in Edinburgh though (I wrote some features on dem fur Uni) an' dey were a bit unsettlin' at times. Durin' wan o dem an' auld American wife nixt tae me startin' skirrlin' dat she could see a peerie lass standin' nixt tae da tour guide. Crapped mesell.

Don't know about seeing the room as it had been decades before he was there. But do know of a man who saw something in a house in Unst and was so shocked he jumped through a window in his rush to get out the house. Although I suspect alcohol may have had a part to play. Would be interested to know which house it was though. :wink:

The house was Dale, lies about 50 yards off the main road halfway between the police station and the tee junction leading down to the hotel, as you head east. It was rented by my boss at the time who's good lady did report creaks, bumps and chills - but then it was a ramshackle old dump.

The chap who went through the window was slumbering on the sofa - after a substantial quantity of ovd when he felt compelled to exit the house by the most adjacent means. To be fair, he's not given to bullturdting, having led the kind of life that provides him with enough interesting anecdotes without having to make them up, but he was a prodigious piss artist.

He never was terribly forthcoming about what made him go through the window though, other than alluding that it was something otherwordly and that it scared him turdless. Given that the bloke himself scares most other people turdless, I took him at his word.

Interestingly, in relation to another post on this thread - he was one of the survivors of the Dan air crash - make of that what you will.

Ive not actualy seen a ghost in in the full form but i have been aware of a presence on a few occasions.

On one occasion I was mopping a floor late at night when i heard crying. I looked around and saw the faint form of a young girl sitting with her head in her hands. I suddenly heard the word "lost" in my head. no-one believed this story untill a customer said that he had seen the ghost a few days later.

On another occasion I was walking through a part of the same building late at night where I had been told there ws a ghost. Being sceptical I didnt believe it but that night I felt someone grab my arm firmly. there was no-one there and no-one near by.

I do have more of these but as they come back to me il post them