Drivers so bad they provoke road rage!

I could be a long process, could the land owners not give up the 2 metres required, or tape off enough and provide access and egress points so folk can walk within the boundaries.

Perhaps a corridor. Could be built by motorists who go to court, as a punnishment, or any other organised party.

The council will find the cash to support that perhaps but not to buy strips of land, you will always get the greedy ones...

The district council would probably be able to organise this better...

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes cyclists....the ones who think they can do what they like...

Down here they arrive in packs, generally middle to late aged folk who need to prove that they are not old, spend thousands on gear to look the part and have peddles clapped to their feet.

They ride through red lights, against traffic flows, ride on the pavements against pedestians and ride 3 or 4 abreast to block of roads instead of pulling over to let faster traffic past, this is highlighted again in the highway code about slower vehicles causing tail backs..But they are timing themselves and need too beat the yunguns....

They totally ignore traffic signs and have seen them jump excavations within my road space to beat the red light. The police seem to do nothing.

Cycling clubs do train in groups but not all of them ride 4 abreast, I was out with groups of 20 plus and we never rode more than 2 abreast at any time. Having ridden through a city where every driver thinks you only need 3 inches of space and it's okay to dive in front of you to make a turn at a roundabout occasionally mounting the pavement almost becomes a necessity in light of the selfish, dangerous behaviour of motorists. As a motorist as well I observe some down right ridiculous behaviour by cyclists crossing pedestrian crossings on the green man to beat the traffic and almost hitting pedestrians but having experienced the behaviour of some motorists I can understand why they do it. It's not a matter of totally ignoring the traffic signs its choosing when to ignore them so as to avoid getting battered by a 4x4 driving halfwit who has no idea how big their car is. The provision of cycle lanes is laughable and when they do appear they're too narrow and are regularly infringed upon by motorists trying to get up the inside of someone doing a right turn and even then they don't care someone is in the lane, you can tar cyclists with the selfish brush but many have become that way from the way they get treated by other road users.

I ride a bike to work, I also install temporary traffic control measures.

I also know there are folk who ride bikes who stick to the rules, but as with folk who speed, there are many cyclists who push their, and others luck in their quest for fitness.

The reason I install these measures is to allow a work force to work safely on the highways. They should not have to look out for folk who think they are above the law.

And yes motorists to drive far too fast and close...

Personally I think bikes should be registered, there are many folk who have fallen foul of a cyclist and not receive any recompense for injury..the cyclist should have insurance..even more so if in a time trial team travelling at upto 40 mph, racing and time trials are ileagal on UK highways, except when the road is closed and even then. the speed limit is not broken...

racing and time trials are ileagal on UK highways, except when the road is closed and even then. the speed limit is not broken...

Not sure you're right about that the cycling club I was with when I was younger held evening time trial events which were marshalled and were inspected by the police but there was no requirement to close the roads.

We had to take a test before riding a bike to school, and before that take an afternoon of instruction..

We were told about insurance and the legalities of riding a pushbike..

Still think they should register them...

Oh, and yes it is one of my jobs to install temporary traffic control systems..

One of the other problems we have come across is folk who are still drunk from the night before, although you may feel ok, you still have an amount of drink in you that can make you drive in a dangerous way.

Folk who do not indicate their intentions are another band of peeps that can cause problems.

Anyone who drives the morning efter a drinkind session should loose the right to drive, full stop

shetlandpeat wrote

Folk who do not indicate their intentions are another band of peeps that can cause problems.
Perhaps folk who do not cancel their indication of their intentions after they have completed their manoeuvre are just as problematic.

That said I always drive or indeed walk using the simple motto that a flashing indicator means that the bulb works........and that is it!. May mean the driver intends to turn in the direction indicated but equally may not.

Drivers so bad they provoke road rage? I'll tell you what grinds my gear, not drivers on the road, but cyclists.

We car/motorbike/truck etc... drivers pay road tax, insurance mot's etc... and the government say that if your car is "green" enough. Thats fair enough, the "green drivers" still pay insurance, for tyres, brakes, exhausts etc....

BUT

as for cyclists, they are D*CKS. Tell me, if you have a pushbike on the road. Who MOT's it to say its safe to be there? Why do they not pay insurance incase they are in the wrong for a change!!! HOw often do they change there brakes? Tryes? And how often do the police stop a bike and check its road worthiness? NEVER.

Another thing, they have there stupid time trails on the road, along the tingwall straight etc... and they are all racing? on a public highway!!! Are they insurced for a race? And more so, is my car insurance covered to be involved in passing such a thing!!!!

BAN CYCLISTS

Or get them to pay some sort of tax or insurance and have some sort of MOT introduced.

We car/motorbike/truck etc... drivers pay road tax, insurance mot's etc... and the government say that if your car is "green" enough. Thats fair enough, the "green drivers" still pay insurance, for tyres, brakes, exhausts etc....

Cyclists have to pay for brake pads and tyres as well, you know.

That said I always drive or indeed walk using the simple motto that a flashing indicator means that the bulb works........and that is it!. May mean the driver intends to turn in the direction indicated but equally may not.

I was always told to wait until the said vehicle changes direction....

Folk are too impatient and think they can prejudge an outcome..to save a little of their own time...

They have been told they may have the safest car, airbags and active seatbelts, so perhaps it removes any vunerability..

People who drive at 20mph on single track roads and dont let you pass as they build up a huge que behind them drive me crazy.

This is covered in the highway code, a slower vehicle MUST pull over if there is a q of traffic, it is sometimes better for the slower motorist to let even 1 car pas, it can reduce an accident and everyone can travel at the speed that is dictated by road conditions..

nortower...I think most organised clubs do have an insurance available to them, you are right to say that bikes should be a little more regulated..

When you think how much cash is spent on cycle lanes etc it can seem a little unfair..

There is a element of law to do with this as the bikes are people powered, and not a taxable fuel or certain power...

It would be a slow to include in society...

But, more should be done to enforce existing laws..

And parents should see that the fruit of their loins are fully versed in cycle and road safety, insurance should also be mandatory...

The fines should increase or the power to fine parents who let their little darlings terrorise the pavements at stuped speeds..

The conditions of the validity of the insurance should also depend on the roadworthyness of the bike...

The insurance companies could be levied with a small fee to enhance cycle routs and the fines would and should help too..

Saw a beauty today..

Fellow is a little late trying to stop the Mossbank bus at The Shetland Hotel and, as a result, the bus did not have room to pull into the layby so stopped on the road.

Idiot behind the bus, busy texting someone on his phone, barely got stopped in time. Beeps his horn furiously at the bus driver and continues texting..

Sometime you almost wish these people would have an accident..