Drivers so bad they provoke road rage!

Hmmm, I am thinking that those that are disputing whether or not this was the fault of the driver behind or the driver in front have never been in a similar situation themselves.

I am guessing that this took place on an open road, driving at the normal speed limit (60mph). If this is the case then the following has to be taken into consideration:-

Travelling at 60mph the thinking distance is regarded as 60ft (18m), the braking distance is 180ft (55m). This gives a stopping distance of 240ft (73m).

I don't believe I have ever seen anybody in Shetland (or the mainland for that matter) leave 240ft between themselves and the vehicle in front. If anything, one of the biggest problems is people tailgating the vehicle in front.

There should be no excuses braking hard for a rabbit when there is a vehicle in close proximity behind you. In fact, if a vehicle is following close behind there are no excuses for braking quickly unless a hazard appears which requires you to do so.

I am sure many of you have travelled the tail end of the A970 where it runs parallel to runway 15/33 at Sumburgh Airport. How many of you have seen the car in front brake and drive erratically as the driver watches a helicopter or plane out of the passenger window??? Not quite as bad as the people who stop at the side of this road to watch the aircraft. In case they hadn't noticed it has a couple of nasty blind corners coupled with 'No Stopping' signs at either end. Nobody seems to enforce it though so feel free to park at your own will.

P.S. I am going to spread nails there shortly. Enjoy...

P.P.S. Rant over.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you both brake at the same rate you can get away with leaving enough distance to cover just the thinking time. The 2 second gap does OK for most things, no need to leave the full stopping distance. Leaving the thinking distance as a gap would be a step forward for some people though....

This did cross my mind after I hit the submit button. :)

However...if I had to brake suddenly causing undue stress to my son, my car and my own well-being (not even contemplating the hire car driver behind me who is too busy working out what the new buttons do to contemplate looking at the road in front), due to a rabbit confrontation, then it would naturally invoke road rage within me (the thread topic).

Nothing against rabbits. Many of them would make better drivers than some of the people on the roads at the moment.

It makes quite a bit of sense to follow this very simple rule do not brake swerve or make any sudden or erratic manouvers for a rabbit, scorrie etc not only does it put your life or good health at risk but also the idiot too close behind you. it is only a rabbit for gods sake and if you do kill the damn thing it will make a good meal for da swabbies.

5 folk in hospital but bugs scampered away without a thought for the souls in the car on its roof didn't even stop to flag down the next car inconsiderate sausage.

Do the still teach the two second rule?

Watch the vehicle in front of you pass a landmark - such as a sign or gate post. As it passes the landmark, say "only a fool breaks the two-second rule".

If you pass the landmark before you finish saying all eight words, you are following too closely.

The 2 second rule works at all speeds, no distances etc to remember. Very simple :)

They were teaching when I passed my test four years back. Good rule of thumb; requires adjusting for conditions, of course - 4 seconds for wet, and 20 seconds for snow, iirc.

With such an easily followed concept, it's amazing how many cannot follow it. Maybe these folk just speak really fast? :P

I find brushing the brake pedal works quite well for those ppl,

not enough to actually brake just enough to get the brake light on

they tend not to follow as close after that ;)

yeh its pretty funny when you do that of course iv only done it a few times when there have been no other cars around just me and the idiot trying to touch my bumper, they sure as hell dont follow so close after you do that :lol: :lol:

Driving from Northmavine to Lerwick this morning I was horrified at the amount of drivers that showed little or no regard for the safety of other road users.

Thee were more cars NOT showing lights than there were with lights on.

In the weather conditions we had this morning the use of car headlights is a MUST!

SWITCH THEM ON !!!

:twisted:

(***MOD Edit - Merged with existing thread about dangerous drivers***)