Annoying but trivial things - Room 101 stuff

tin openers that don't work

Has anyone ever noticed how cheap and nasty tin openers are now a days they just don’t seem to last as long as they did back in the 1970s. I stumbled on this on a food message board . and it started my hatred of the things again

“I have some lovely tinned duck I bought in France but it is an absolute pain to open the tins. All the tin openers I have tried do not cut deep enough to open these tins. I had the same trouble with a baked beans tin I pulled the ring pull off by mistake. Am I the only one with this problem? I have googled but with no success.â€

This was one of the replies to the problem

“.A very underestimated gadget a tin opener, you may need a new one as suggested.

In the meantime, sometimes you can get into tins from the bottom side.

Failing that, you can open tins by scraping them vigorously on a concrete pavement to sand away the tin lip/ seal, it's softer than it looks.

It will sand so the lid comes completely off, but you could do it just enough to give your tin opener a chance to clip.â€

I willing to bet the concrete solution was by someone who was pissed to the eyeballs at 3 in the morning and trying to get into a tin of something maybe an ex army person

Can opener tip - buy a Leifheit (sp?) can opener. I would expect Harry's to sell them. With each new relationship I have bought the other half a new tin opener. If they got nothing else out of the relationship, they got a tin opener!

With each new relationship I have bought the other half a new tin opener. If they got nothing else out of the relationship, they got a tin opener!

Just wondering..

Is it possible this approach to 'each new relationship' might be slightly flawed.

Why waste a perfectly good tin opener on someone who, possibly, isn't going to be around to long.

Better as an anniversary gift I think.

:D

Just wondering..

Is it possible this approach to 'each new relationship' might be slightly flawed.

Why waste a perfectly good tin opener on someone who, possibly, isn't going to be around to long.

Better as an anniversary gift I think.

:D

I like the fact that they are reminded of me in a positive way. It's a small price to pay :wink:

I can never work out why my alarm clock doesn't stick with the time I tell it to.

I keep adjusting it but it just seems to keep slipping back. Every other clock in my flat says it's five to eight, but my alarm clock says twenty to.

I may need to go back to having a digital one...:roll:

With each new relationship I have bought the other half a new tin opener. If they got nothing else out of the relationship, they got a tin opener!

I would suggest that a bunch of flowers might make a relationship last a lot longer than a tin opener - no matter how good a tin opener it might be!

Perhaps it is the tin opener gift itself that sounds the death knell to your relationships. A household item should never be given as a gift...ever!

I have to say that I have been misled by a book; Men are from Mars etc...

It said that a gift of small value was worth as much as a gift of a large value (and that each basically gave you one point). Assuming women not to be shallow for a moment, i.e. not impressed by money, I jumped to the conclusion that they would like their life made easier, so after looking in the window of the flower shop, which was selling roses at £4 a stem I decided that they would prefer a tin opener at £12 rather than 3 roses.

I will never understand women :wink: