Obesity in Shetland

shetlander

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to some very "fat" music at the moment. Apparently that means it is good. Now i'm confused, you shouldn't call people fat, but fat tunes are cool. So are fat people not also cool then? 8)

:P

"Man this choon is skinny," just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I'm listening to some very "fat" music at the moment. Apparently that means it is good. Now i'm confused, you shouldn't call people fat, but fat tunes are cool. So are fat people not also cool then? 8)

no we tend to be hot specially after carrying in all our food in.

if true to the subjet of this thread should it not be obese music and not fat?

Today in the Shetland News:

Cash to tackle weight problems

NHS SHETLAND will receive almost £170,000 over the next three years to tackle obesity problems amongst children and adults across the isles.

The money is part of a Scottish Government investment of £56 million to implement an action plan dedicated to improving diet, increasing physical activity and tackling obesity.

Director of public health Sarah Taylor said the money had been expected and it would be spread throughout the community to focus on issues such as diet advice and education from a young age.

“We know we need to spend some of it on additional professional dietetics support and some in general practice.

“Also, with schools to develop local support for people including children and families who want help in tackling their weight problems,” Ms Taylor said.

im sorry for my poor english. there are no dietians in shetland. the last one got fedup and moved back home a few months ago. if the nursing staff need help they have to try and get help from aberdeen. the post has been advertised but not filled.

on a positive note the schools up here are doing a much better job than the english ones. they have kept there own kitchens. this gives them much better control over the kids diet.

it also helps reduce the amount of junk food being served.

getting off track my oldest son has an odd allergy to salmon. the staff can provide special meals when its served. this i call an excellent service for £1.50.

Guest posiedon

I just read this in this month's Focus magazine of science & technology.

Overweight people shouldn't blame their glands or big bones, instead they should blame their genes, research published in the journal Nature genetics has identified a mutation relating to the hormones that control appetite in people of northern European descent.

It's the first time a link between obesity and genetic mutations has been found, and could lead to more effective treatments.

I just read this in this month's Focus magazine of science & technology.
Overweight people shouldn't blame their glands or big bones, instead they should blame their genes, research published in the journal Nature genetics has identified a mutation relating to the hormones that control appetite in people of northern European descent.

It's the first time a link between obesity and genetic mutations has been found, and could lead to more effective treatments.

I remember seeing that somewhere as well and thinking how stupid and dangerous the wording was.

Appetite has nothing to do with being overweight. Just because you're hungry doesnt mean you have to eat. All "findings" like those do is make people think they needn't bother doing anything to help themselves because it will make no difference.

You don't have to get thinner to be more healthy.

Imagine how dangerous "treatment" which suppresses appetite would be...