Mobile phone signal and service (coverage, contract, 3G etc)

Fifi

Have been up for a week - highly miffed at fact I am away on plane at 09.35 tomorrow and so will miss whole parade of sail etc.

Re coverage - never felt need to use phone on O2 except once in Aith where there was no signal at all.

3G iPad which is on Three worked perfectly - if maybe a little slowly - in Lerwick, Scalloway, Trondra and Weisdale. Wasn't having any further north though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this im really pleased its not just me thats been having problems with signal & Vodafone.

Last month & the previous two months before hand, I had maybe 2 full weeks coverage, and the rest was dotted signal or no signal at all. Every day i called the Vodafone customer helpline, only to be passed though to several people, and being told to actually BUY something to help improve signal in my house.

I wouldnt have minded this, if my house actually did have bad signal but it doesnt - Im in the middle of Scalloway, and have never really had too much problems until lately and now it seems to be a problem nearly every month with Vodafone, Also i already spend £190 a month with them on contracts that i cant get any use out of, So surely as a provider to save me from leaving them they should have offered that for free?!

It was only when i actually got really nasty (well i say nasty, but it wasnt nasty to be honest..) and told them i WILL NOT be renewing my contracts with them in January, as they have disgraceful, rude and unhelpful customer service and rubbish reception, that suddenly my reception on my phone reappeared and has been on ever since.. Is this a bit of a coincidence, or what?!

Anyways - Rant over with, Vodafone and any subject relating to them makes me extremely angry now and i cannot wait until January until i can return to o2. It makes me wonder why i ever left them in the first place. :(

• 2 weeks later...

[***Mod edit - threads merged***]

I know that the signal from 3 isn't very good in Shetland but until about 2 weeks ago it was OK at Holmsgarth and in upper sound. Now it comes and goes from 5 bar to no network access in a few minutes and most of the time there's no sig. It's def not the phone or sim cos it works fine south. Any other 3 people having probs?

With O2 there are apparently only 3 mast locations in Shetland with 1 being 3G enabled located in Lerwick. I was having problems with my signal on my Iphone in Lerwick during certain times of the day which was caused by conjestion on the 3G network.

This is basically caused by to many phones in the area using the cell. With more people getting smart phones the problem will probably get worse as these tend to prefer 3G networks.

I know on the Iphone this is an easy fix until they upgrade the masts, you just need to turn the 3G off. Try it and your pretty much guarenteed to get a few more bars of signal.

[***mod edit - threads merged ***]

Hi I have just moved to Lerwick and have moved into a house in Northgaet and the signal for O2 is really bad, I have been told Vodafone works ok here but was wondering if anyone knows if Tesco mobile works ok too in this area or is it just Vodafone?

My son's phone has just died - probably from being soaked at the bannock! Looks like he will need a replacement and as he is going to NAFC in a couple of weeks I was wondering what networks work around there? Here we use vodaphone 3G through the sure signal and Orange works too, so either is an option at the moment.

My son's phone has just died - probably from being soaked at the bannock! Looks like he will need a replacement and as he is going to NAFC in a couple of weeks I was wondering what networks work around there? Here we use vodaphone 3G through the sure signal and Orange works too, so either is an option at the moment.

Unfortunatley JayDee for scalloway I'd have to say Vodaripoff. Orange/t-mobile UMA/Signal Boost is fantastic but their network coverage is not the best in Scalloway.

My 13year old has decided after being with vodaripoff since christmas, she's going back to orange with her next phone as she's not used to putting so much credit on her phone just to make a couple of phonecalls. she's put more on the vodaripoff phone in 8months than the orange in 4years, at least she knew well enough to keep her orange phone for her international calls (and orange wednesdays)

The BBC survey on mobile coverage in the UK has been completed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14574816

The map is here. Put in your post code and it will show coverage reported in your area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14582499

It does confirm that 3g coverage is limited to O2 in Lerwick. You should not put too much reliance on the extent of other coverage as I imagine that data has come from a limited number of people.

• 4 weeks later...