Shetland Football Gossip Column

Dusty Rhodes

Having seen most of Spurs home games the last 2 seasons I can arguebly confirm that there should be more as just James Johnston in the county squad. Yes these players seem to be jinxed with injury but when fully fit and playing to the ability they can play at Lewis Kay, Sam Ward, Scott Morrison, Joe Leask and Connel Gresham are all top candidates for the county select.

On the Jamie Wilson saga, theres no denying that boys talent, you ask any defender in Shetland who they least like playing against and 9 times out of 10 over the past 5 seasons they would say Wilson, the boy is strong, fast and a clinical finisher, if he joined Celtic playing with the likes of Aitken and Webb he'll bag alot of goals, he'll be in my dream team thats for sure.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

top class county players spurs have are james johnston and sam ward when fit! if gresham could finish he would get in too but only thing he lacks is finishing!

Is that not the point of a striker??

Anyway James Johnston is the obvious stand out there. Sam Ward is a good player but seems to be quite injury prone which has held him back quite a bit over the last 2 seasons.

I make that 1 quality county player in the Spurs squad, wheres Kirsty with the rest? :wink:

Biglad – I stand corrected - I am sorry to say this but I agree with you.

No problem Kirsty its no often I git it right but I think I nailed it there! :wink:

Listen, Spurs are definently the underachievers of the Shetland League in my opinion, so many good players ON THEIR DAY. So why is it they underachieve?

I don't mean by winning a couple o cups in the last few seasons I'm talking about 'challenging' not even winning the league, something wrong there!

No problem Kirsty its no often I git it right but I think I nailed it there! :wink:

Listen, Spurs are definently the underachievers of the Shetland League in my opinion, so many good players ON THEIR DAY. So why is it they underachieve?

I don't mean by winning a couple o cups in the last few seasons I'm talking about 'challenging' not even winning the league, something wrong there!

Bloody hell Biglad - spot on again. I was thinking that with the players they have they should be challenging for the league. Unfortunately, something stops them.

Jamie has to be classed as one off the best strikers around at the moment due to his strike rate over the past few seasons.

When it comes to playing up front its all about putting the ball in the back of the net and Jamie has consistently done that.

He is strong, fast and direct and can hit the back off the net. (Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but very effective)

His goal tally has come playing in a Whitedale team that are not up there with Whalsay, Celtic or Delting of the past. Usually you will find the top goal scorers tend to come from the top team/teams. They tend to play more games, create more chances and score more goals.

We will have to see how much truth is in this rumour; I don’t know if I can see this happening did Jamie and Robbie not have a few strong words during and after a cup final last season when Jamie let it slip where he thought the league title would end up?

Regarding the Spurs players, I don't think Scott Morrison would have done himself any favours regarding chasing the County Squad by spending half a season in the Works League!

stumpy bob, in Morrisons defence, I know he only played in the works league as his job stopped him from attending monday and friday games. He'd rather be playing some shetland football as none atall. When fit tho, should be knocking on that door no problem atall

Scotts form really dipped last season right from the beginning, he ended up on the subs bench, nowhere near the form that he can play too and I'm sure he would agree with that.

And that is true he had to play works league to get any football in at all after changing jobs so fare play to him. Hope he has a better season to come!

Good thread! I hivna been on hear for a couple o years until I heard on FB what wis going on!

I think next year will be wide open, I don't think Whalsay will be as strong without Monty (fulltime) and Keith Pearson.

Deltings squad will be a lot better if they get the Mossbank boys and could be in with a shout.

Celtic will be there and there abouts and Spurs are good enough to win, they certainly have the players If they just get a bit more grit between their teeth and not care so much about looking good.

Yeah its gonna be close again I doot, Celtic will need to push on and keep the tempo going all season to have a good run at it.

Whalsay will be difficult to beat and usually quite consistent whichever team they put out.

Delting, who knows, they didna do well last year I don't know the Mossbank players to know wether they will improve them as a team.

Spurs, anybodys guess but full of potentially quality players.

Sorry Whitedale, Scalloway & Ness, no chance unfortunately.

In fact losing Molloy and potentially Wilson would be enough to cripple any team!

I can't see how whitedale cant be in with a shout, if am not mistaken whitedale are 2nd in winning the most trophies in the past 3 year just behind whalsay. Also I don't think they will suffer with losing Paul molloy (as talented as he is) as the young players they have will now have their chance to grace the stage.