Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

On my visit last week I tried the following..

Olsas, nice and quiet when I went, the tomato soup was fantastic, the let down was the mains. I ordered carbornara, it tasted good but they had put the salad in top and had to rush to remove it before it wilted, it was a very big portion, a wee bit too big and the cheese fat was visible around the edges. But, it tasted great, salad should always be served on a cool/cold dish, perhaps a wee side salad to acompany. Reduce the portion size to pay for this and sort out the cheese fat. The pizzas I saw were very good looking.

9/10

Frankies, I went to Firth to visit Longdog and we snuck in for a sneaky portion of chips. Brae is a lucky place, the chips were spot on to my tastes. I am sure once the place beds in it will be worth a day trip

Chips 8/10

Golden Coach, since their move they have only got better, good stuff.

The rice was fluffy, won tons perfect and chicken and sweetcorn soup was packed with ingredients. Good price too.

9/10

The Harbour Chippy, was warned off by a couple of folk and it did not smell too good, so I stayed away.

Fort Cafe, as usual Jims smiling face always completes the experience, 9/10

New Harbour Cafe, same stuff tho portions served in wee pots, nice, cheerful and reasonable tho the seats need cushions 7/10

• 5 weeks later...

when i first moved here i tried the happy haddock and thought it was fab, I was then told the fort chippy was the best and have tried it a few times but it really is NOT the best... but have been back to happy haddock since and it has been a disappointment. I would rather drive the extra miles to Brae and to Frankies tbh. Come on Brae "Frankies" when you opening another chippy in Lerwick?

On my visit last week I tried the following..

Olsas, nice and quiet when I went, the tomato soup was fantastic, the let down was the mains. I ordered carbornara, it tasted good but they had put the salad in top and had to rush to remove it before it wilted, it was a very big portion, a wee bit too big and the cheese fat was visible around the edges. But, it tasted great, salad should always be served on a cool/cold dish, perhaps a wee side salad to acompany. Reduce the portion size to pay for this and sort out the cheese fat. The pizzas I saw were very good looking.

9/10

Frankies, I went to Firth to visit Longdog and we snuck in for a sneaky portion of chips. Brae is a lucky place, the chips were spot on to my tastes. I am sure once the place beds in it will be worth a day trip

Chips 8/10

The Harbour Chippy, was warned off by a couple of folk and it did not smell too good, so I stayed away.

Good to hear both Osla's and Frankie's have improved. I'll most likely be having something from the latter when I return in the summer and I might just try the former.

Also, Harbour Chippy - is that the one that used to be Iain's? You can tell I've not been on the rock for about six months

Been meaning to post this for a while....better late than never

Osla's - customer service poor

food OK

Mid Brae Inn - customer service excellent

food splendid and also good value

Harbour chip shop - customer service good

food ie fish supper, batter not cooked inside and chips so so

Kveldsro - customer service good

food very good and also good value

and I wonder why I'm putting on the weight :wink:

Mmm.. I've always had good experiences at Osla's on both accounts, not that I'm a regualr there though!

Not even seen Kveldsro, never mind been there. Next on the list :lol:

So far Busta House Hotel this weekend is my all time high, great food service, location and price for what you get 8)

Was in Lerwick today and very disappointed. Went to have a cup of tea and a fancy after shopping to find that there was no where open. Faerdi Meat wis closed.

Didn't attempt Osla's as we only had half an hour and going by the last time I was there the service was terrible. we had to wait 20 minutes to get served and there were hardly anyone in.

Skippy dock wis closed. then went to the Olive tree but after standing waitin for ten minutes to be served (i was the only one in) I left in disgust!

With the Folk Festive being on I would have thought that the coffee shops in lerwick would have had open doors for business. As Shetland has so many good products to sell this would have been a great opportunity for these shops.

Was in Lerwick today and very disappointed. Went to have a cup of tea and a fancy after shopping to find that there was no where open. Faerdi Meat wis closed.

Didn't attempt Osla's as we only had half an hour and going by the last time I was there the service was terrible. we had to wait 20 minutes to get served and there were hardly anyone in.

Skippy dock wis closed. then went to the Olive tree but after standing waitin for ten minutes to be served (i was the only one in) I left in disgust!

With the Folk Festive being on I would have thought that the coffee shops in lerwick would have had open doors for business. As Shetland has so many good products to sell this would have been a great opportunity for these shops.

Yeh very odd considering the FF is on, I thought they'd be cashing in with longer openings and more staff to cover. If I was running such a business in town I certainly would.