Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

• 2 weeks later...

Spiggie Hotel... won't be going there again :evil:

Food tasted nice, what there was, but soooo over priced, have to pay £2-£2.50 extra for tatties and again for veg and again for salad etc with your meal.

so the beer battered haddock was just that, unless you paid more for tatties of some sort and then more again for salad of some sort. :roll:

We felt like we were an interuption to their day.

Shame as it was supposed to be a treat for us and my wife's mums' first trip up here.

Busta house next, no comparrison

I am really surprised to see a bad review of Spiggie Hotel. We have always had great service and food there and last month we bought a voucher for friends wedding anniversary for bed breakfast and evening meal. They are still enthusing about the welcome they received, the food, the kindness, attention to detail etc and the fact that they received a bottle of champagne when they left to continue the celebrations!

Longdog must have caught them on a really bad day!

Food tasted nice, what there was, but soooo over priced, have to pay £2-£2.50 extra for tatties and again for veg and again for salad etc with your meal.

so the beer battered haddock was just that, unless you paid more for tatties of some sort and then more again for salad of some sort. :roll:

If you go to any fish and chip shop you will see on the price list, firstly, the price of the battered haddock (fish), and then the price you pay for the 'tatties' (chips) and yet again the price for veg (mushy peas).

This way of pricing is common practice in the restaurant and fast food trade. I am surprised you have never encountered it before. :roll:

Ermm though it was a'restaurant/hotel' not a fast food outlet where you mix and match :lol: I was obviously mislead.

That practice wasn't restricted to fish and chips but everything on the menu and there wasn't mushy peas available :lol:

Usually you order a meal, i.e something that the chef thinks goes together. The yes if you want extra you pay for it extra but a meal is a meal not a random collection of choices. Seems to work at other places that aren't fast food pretty well.

There was more than that at issue actually. I just didn't go into that.

Defend them all you like and slag me off too if it makes you feel good, but I won't be back. :roll:

^^ It is common in London restaurants to pay for the main course ingredient but vegetables are always extra. This isn't just the case with English restaurants, but also applies to Italian, French, Indian, etc.

I've been to the Spiggie once and found the staff delightful. It wasn't cheap but then I've yet to find a cheap restaurant in Shetland (perhaps I will when I manage to get out and about a bit more!). Out of a party of four, only one of our lot didn't like the roast potatoes. I understand they were short on staff that day and like many other establishments, if the usual chef isn't on duty, the standard of the food can vary - perhaps it shouldn't but this hasn't been unknown.

^^ It is common in London restaurants to pay for the main course ingredient but vegetables are always extra. This isn't just the case with English restaurants, but also applies to Italian, French, Indian, etc.

This isn't London. There is a lack of competition from a vast number of competitors driving forward pricing and quality of product and service in the same way as in London, so to add a charge for the veg on top of the price of your entree up here is perhaps going too far, especially for potatoes. The restaurants up here are relatively expensive for what you get whether your veg is included or not.

As to the charging itself this should have been clear on the menu and if I recall my visit it was pretty clear. I don't agree with the practice as I said, but they didn't try and hide it in any way so the decision was down to the diner. I wasn't that impressed with the food, and the service was nothing exceptional, but by no means bad.

^^ I appreciate Shetland is not London but the owner of the Spiggie is English so perhaps some of his practices stem from that? Apologies, I should have worded my comment above better to reflect that.

That said, do any of the Indian restaurants up here charge extra for rice, bombay potatoes, etc.? If so, then surely that is on par - charging a set amount for the main dish/ingredient and with the veg as extra?

I can understand getting a meal in a pub or cafe not charging for veg just as in the same way a restaurant such as Pizza Hut will state that a pizza comes with either chips or jacket potato but in "higher class" establishments, nationwide I have always been charged extra for veg.

Yep the pricing is clear on the menu (I didn't say it wasn't). That doesn't mean it's right in my opinion for that sort of meal/food.

Anyway it was more than that we had issue with as said.

Talk amongst yourselves...

Out of interest how much did you pay for your main course?

I've been to Spiggie on numerous occasions and always left feeling totally satisfied but it only takes one bad meal for anyone to ruin a meal out. No one gets it right everytime but the general impression I get is the Spiggie Hotel is highly recommended.

Cheers