Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

Spending on the infastructor related to the housing and rec centres for the oil workers. There is a five star sheep shed at firth. The clean up of the camps should have been paid for by the polluter. the oil companies.

Sometimes you have the memory of a goldfish paulb, i will refer you to the last time i answered this same question from you:

they were ment to clean up the camps as well but i remember that it was the council who had to pay.

The camps were built on private land and the landowners were given a lump sum to pay for demolition, as you can see the landowners kept the cash and decided against demolition.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

as your in Norway you missed a radio broadcast that said he had lots of experience of council work.

Perhaps in the world you live in you've never heard of "online radio". There are various ways to hear what you want to hear in any broadcast, just in the same way that you seem to read what you want to read from any publication.

I can think of many small builders in Shetland who could say that they have experience of working on large council funded projects, just because they were a small sub-contractor for part of the works. This same rule applies for anybody in business who has done work, supplied materials, etc.. It's all experience.

And will you please stop blaming the new chief executive for crappy housing from the 70s, you're just trolling with comments like that. Yes some of the houses were of slightly doubtful standard, but the blame for that lies fairly and squarely at the feet of the builders, with more than a little blame on the provider of concrete blocks at that time which fell apart because of bad cement....... Damn it I could go on and on about this, from experience, but:

Please quite trolling. You've gotten to the stage where the militant tendancy here, eg. me, is starting to agree with the mods... I'll never sleep now.... :wink:

1.Could you explain, and back up, what you mean in saying "messed up all the oil related spending"

Spending on the infastructor related to the housing and rec centres for the oil workers. There is a five star sheep shed at firth. The clean up of the camps should have been paid for by the polluter. the oil companies.

2.Could you explain what "sub-standard buildings" you are referring to and what money is owed to whom for/on them.

If you have ever lived in either the council housing in either brae, mossbank and firth you would know that they are poorly built. the last quote was that there was still a debt of some 40-50 million owing on them. The building quality was poor and the infastructor is still lacking as in the sewage system.

3.What clear up of Sullom Voe it is that you feel is necessary? If you mean returning the site to an agreed state in perhaps 30-50years time when operations there cease, this was a part of the original agreement that allowed the site to be developed, as I understand it. If this is what you are referring to I fail to see any relevance to the topic whatsoever. The terminal was built over 30 years ago and has a similar life expectancy and none of the current administration were either involved in it's inception, nor will be in it's final administration, or it's highly unlikely anyway.

yes this was getting off topic sorry but are they saving funds to do it. It would be good to know that the site will be cleaned up by the oil firms i would like to see this in writing something binding that nether side can get out of.

4. And finally "when do we let the oil companies walk away from their deals", once again, could you elaborate on which deals and on what grounds you see the need to discuss them 'walking away' from the deals?

there has been no income from the oil to us since 2000? because we were conned into think they were going to shut sullom voe. They should have stuck the rate up. They allowed them to avoid the clean up of the camps and if the council are not careful they will try to get free tugs etc.

5. And could it all be relevant to the selection of the new Chief Exec please?

yep totally of topic. I' m bad its the cat clipping its keeping me so busy.

Blimey Paul, your so far off the mark on most of this I'm not sure where to start...

1) The 'rec centres' were built and run by the oil companies. It was only in the 90's when most of the travelling workers had left that the oil companies gave the Firth centre to the council as a community centre.

2) Not all the new housing in Brae, Firth and Mossbank was built by the council, some of it was built by the oil companies and then transferred to the council when they no longer required the housing. Most of the housing you refer to as substandard was only ever intended as temporary housing (15 yrs'ish) The council never built housing for travelling workers, the council housing that caused the housing debt was for folk who had moved to Shetland to live/work. I think you'll find that it was housing developments from Sumburgh to Unst that contributed to the debt - Sandvein and Nederdale included.

3) Yes there is an agreement

4) There has been income since 2000, the agreement terms changed in 2000.

I'm not defending the oil companies, I think Shetland has had a very good deal compared to other UK regions with similar industrial developments - but your post does have a whiff of greed about it - why do you think the oil companies should further subsidise the local economy?

Guest Anonymous

Just to keep with T&Cs I didn't post my latest poem here, although it is more than relevant to this thread.

No personal offense intended paulb, but have a look at the "Any Good Jokes Gyaan Aboot" thread.

:wink: :wink:

Infiltrator

thanks for the info.

To all of you except a chap from Norway. im sorry if you think im stirring i was not trying to.

We do have a right to question the top council post its going to cost us the best part of 100k a year. He faces having to slash budgets and jobs over the next few years to meet the spending targets set for them. its worth knowing that he is up to it.

I do indeed over react and am suspicious of lots of things. if this appears as moaning again im sorry. indeed I may be a miserable old sod. But at least i have my own poem now.

Guest Anonymous

To all of you except a chap from Norway.

paulb, as I said, no personal offense intended by my silly little poem. Just having a bit of a laugh and I will immediately delete it if it causes you any personal offense.

I may be a "chap from Norway", but having lived in Shetland for 50 years, I feel that I have some right to express an opinion or three about Shetland matters.

You went a little bit wrong, in my opinion (and I add, "just in my opinion"), by attacking a man before he had started the job which he had been selected for, by the council which was voted for by the Shetland public.

Maybe, and this is only a very small suggestion, you would find your comments better accepted on Shetlink, if you didn't attack things so "head on".

You could be right, only time will tell, but what gets my underwear in a twist is the fact that you condemned the man before he even warmed the chair.

So, in the good old Shetland style, might I suggest that you "Haad dee sheeks, an gee da craetir a shanse"

:wink:

We'll have to learn our, erm," scales" first. :lol:,and I'm sure we'll fillet!

Sorry, well OT. :oops:

As long as you play plenty of soul.. :wink: >

Carry on with the fishy puns and someone'll get (sorry) battered :wink:

Anyroad, I'm all for giving folk a chance. Only if and when they screw up do you nail 'em to the wall.

Guest Anonymous
Maybe, and this is only a very small suggestion, you would find your comments better accepted on Shetlink, if you didn't attack things so "head on".
:shock: Are you after a moderation position Auld Een?! :wink:

Peeriebryan behave dysel,

A'm little use for moderator hell,

Handlin sheep an tryin ta fin,

Da best wye ta get dem hirded in.

You're gyain weel da wye you're do'in,

Ithoot help o me i da cröin,

Just keep Meldrew i da dipper,

An a'll say nae mair aboot da lipper.

:wink: