• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Lib Dem
    • Greens
    • UKIP
    • SNP
    • BNP

@paulb

Sorry, I disagree completely. Terms like <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!> and Pakistani etc can be, and are used in ways that are intended to belittle, but it does not automatically follow that all use of the term is intended to be, or is belittling, as I pointed out in my previous post, specifically toward the term <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!>, its usage was entirely neutral in insinuation and 100% descriptive in Shetland in times past, it meant "black", and described people with a darker skin tone, in exactly the same way as Japanee was used to describe people of diminutive slitty eyed appearance associated with those of Japanese descent. Along with numerous others, Portugee, Ruskie, Norskie, Frenchie, Dutchie, Da Ireesh, Booer, Argenteen, the list is endless....

Removing the word "Pakistani" from the language, and replacing it with whatever the people of Pakastani descent demand will make not one iota of difference to racism and discrimination.

A <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!> = a black = a black American = an African American.

A Red Indian = a Native American = a First Nation.

The label makes no odds, it is what people see behind the label and their own opinions of the person and the race in general that drive racism and discrimination.

Anyone who was in the habit 40 years ago of describing someone of a certain race as a <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!> and for whatever reason felt negatively towards all people of that race, is highly unlikely to think any better of them just because folk insist they be called African American instead. If anything they're going to feel considerably more negativity towards them for causing so much fuss over a word.

Likewise it matters none whether you call someone a Pakistani, a Pakistani or an Asian, all three words conjour up exactly the same image and feelings in the mind, as they all refer to one thing. The same racism and discrimination will be directed at an individual regardless of whether they are tagged as a Pakistani or an Asian.If you want to eliminate racism and discrimination based on racial or regional stereotypes you need first to eliminate all labelling of any sort, and simply have one label for everyone regardless of appearance and/or roots.

I dunno how I'd feel about being discriminated against for being Scottish, probably laugh, then curse violently, as I don't really consider myself Scottish at all. There have been numerous occasions in the past, and some which are still ongoing today where Shetlanders are arguably discriminated against because they are Shetlanders, so its not an entirely alien concept.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it not fine to see a bunch of hypocrits on newsnight denying Nick Griffin his right to free speech, behaving just like the nazi's they accuse him of being.

Adolf and co started out shouting down the folks they disagreed with and moved on from there, so glad to see that you lot are already well on the way to advocating violence against those you disagree with.

Andrew Brons Nick Griffin's side kick now elected to the European Parliament.. Was the leader for the National Front for a time.. the same Party Nick pledged his legiancy too and was heavily involved in!!

Nick looked shocked yesterday as he was assaulted by protesters - Absolute Brill!!

At the end of the day.. they are Holocaust Deniers.. Since the eighties.. formerly the National Front.. Affiliated with Neo-Nazis .. If you Google Nick Griffin and look at his background then he ain't Snow White but a Nazi in a suit!! His parents the same too!!

Does anyone remember Negro Brown in your Crayola pack of Crayons from years gone by?

lol!

Is it not fine to see a bunch of hypocrits on newsnight denying Nick Griffin his right to free speech, behaving just like the nazi's they accuse him of being.

Inciting racial hatred is a crime. While the BNP publicly walk a very fine line in what they say, whether you support them or not, you know exactly where they're coming from. As you well know, it's easy to imply things without saying the exact words that can come back to bite you.

Not having heard every word that's come out of the BNPs collective mouths I can't categorically state they should have their right to free speech curtailed (and neither can you say otherwise before you go getting sanctimonious) but lets just say there will be a time when something gets out, and hopefully the sh*t sticks.

Letting people say whatever they want with no restriction is as crazy as letting people do whatever they want with no restriction.

Its even more dangerous when its the leader of a group who will undoubtedly do whatever they want without restriction given the chance.

Broadly there are two main principles applied to freedom of speech. The Harm Principle, that it should be curtailed if it causes ‘harm’. The other is the Offensive Principle: that freedom of speech should be curtailed if it causes offensive. John Stuart Mill and Joel Feinburg respectively. Many established arguments for and against both.

"the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others." (Mill, On Liberty 1859)

If we suppress the views of the BNP people will not hear them, be appalled and fight against them. On the other hand, people will also hear them, be delighted and join them. How many of each I wonder?