Road condition reports - Snow, Rain, Fog, etc

khitajrah

its hoosn herself speaking now,i dont post on here at all as a rule,tho i do read whats on here,n im on my box now, some people were whinging about people driving below 30mph,well im just learning to drive and this is the first time ive driven in the snow and ice,and the only problems ive had have been 4x4s and vans driving in my boot with their lights dazzling me and then over taking me on bends,for gods sake dont be so blooming selfish,you might think your high(and mighty) enough to see round bends and over fences etc,but not all of us can.i have L-plates on my car for a reason,please dont knock my confidence before ive got it properly.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fully agree with hoosn, I only recently passed and driving in snow with someone right up my rear is very annoying and distracting.

Do some so-called experienced drivers not realise if i crash or swerve in icy conditions they're going into the back off me no matter how good a driver they are!! They seem to forget all about stopping distances.

Need to head into the town from strand,

anyone know what the roads are like into the town?

Main roads are all good into town, side roads could still be a bit rumbly with packed snow etc.

Be wary that with the extreme drop in temperature the bits that have seemed like wet tar the past few days will very possibly be black ice tomorrow.

Keep the stereo off and your ears peeled! :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Toab to Airport 6.50am - fine going down but coming back - aarggggh ...

... One soon learnt that one did not require windscreen wipers on due to horizontal snow blowing. One learnt even quicker that better without full beam lights as visibility is absolutely sharn and you really do not want to see that huge sky snow ball whacking towards you.

Seriously, visibility is poo.

No planes taking off at present - as soon as they are clearing the runway, the snow is back.

Apparently, give it a couple of hours and snow should have stopped but I'd guess expect drifting - the wind is getting up a tad.

according to the met office this is on all day today and tomorrow...bleh

Frequent heavy snow showers affecting northern and eastern Scotland on Saturday and Sunday are likely to bring significant accumulations of snow in places. Strong winds may also lead to drifting of snow and blizzard conditions, especially over high ground.

Kames not great. Ended up spinning and facing the wrong way and came home.

Did see the plough out, and drove the road that had just been ploughed on the way home, but it was already white most of the way, and pretty slippy.

The 4x4's seemed to be doing ok (and apologies to any I held up, but I had just spun and wasn't going to go any faster).

Kames not great. Ended up spinning and facing the wrong way and came home.

Did see the plough out, and drove the road that had just been ploughed on the way home, but it was already white most of the way, and pretty slippy.

The 4x4's seemed to be doing ok (and apologies to any I held up, but I had just spun and wasn't going to go any faster).

never apologise for being careful on da roads, :D

Left dis morning tae go ta Scalloway college tae sit Exams and couldna make it in, think its closing onyway!!

The Road fae Skeld to Parkhall is really bad, met the gritter and the snow is just blowing right back in ahint it. Had a very slow drive to Tresta and decided it was stupid to even try the hill!! On the way back in the single track road the drifts were in some places over 2 foot deep and the visability was only about 3-4 car lengths ahead!!

Amazing tho how much a difference Good snow tyres makes, a few cars spinning and sticking in the road an all praise tae me peerie Saxo seems tae manage anything! :lol:

Day for pittin da feet tae da fire we a cup o Tae an da Times!! :wink: