Road condition reports - Snow, Rain, Fog, etc

khitajrah

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SIC are advising their workers.

"The weather conditions are making travel difficult today.

The Police are advising people not to travel.

The Roads Service are concentrating on keeping the main roads passable. Travel on side roads is difficult in some places.

The Roads Service are making arrangements for a convoy system at 5 o’clock from Lerwick.

The forecast does not indicate any improvement.

Please make arrangements to ensure you can get home safely. If that means leaving work early to get home safely, please feel free to do so (and let your line manager know)."

Well, the 10.50am arrival bus to the airport has just arrived (10:55). No flights going out at the moment but morning arrivals have been on time.

...just to clear up some mis-information here.

there are NO flights getting in or out of sumburgh today so far.

I have just been on the phone to sumburgh 5 mins ago.

:cry: we were expecting pals up fae sooth :cry:

Hubby works at airport and has just telephoned me - some flights have taken off and some are landing in-between the blizzards. Not misinformation. I dropped him off there at 7.00am and I can see when planes whizz just pass my house (albeit not so easy to see in the snow but I can hear them!)

Roads warning from Police in Shetland

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:36:10 GMT

Road conditions in Shetland have deteriorated significantly within the last 2 hours owing to the heavy snowfall. Police are now advising against all travel.

Police are currently responding to a number of reports of motorists stranded on the roads in Shetland and we have taken reports of a few vehicles which have been involved in collisions as a result of the adverse weather.

To reiterate - In the interest of safety, Police are advising against ALL travel on Shetland.

:?

any up date on sumburgh airport? meant tae be on da 7.50pm flight danite.

I think it will depend on whether or not they manage to clear the runway and how much snow there is, together with visibility for landing and wind speed, etc. Glasgow, this morning, for example, had tiny bits of snow like we had yesterday. I'm not sure of which flights are affected but I think it is safe to say there is quite obviously going to be delays and some cancellations.

Airports such as Inverness, Aberdeen, may be affected more than say Glasgow as it is the east side of Scotland that is forecast for snow more than the west.

At lunchtime I could see right out to sea and see the airport and runways clearly but couldn't earlier on. Right now, I can't even see the other side of my road. Glad I'm not a pilot!

Snurtmunchkin - my post earlier is links for live updates on flights

From the live webcam http://www.shetland.org/60NTV/index.html# it appears that they're making some headway at clearing the Sumburgh runway down to tarmac and there's two planes on the apron but the link below shows that earlier flights in and out have been cancelled.

http://www.europe-airports.com/uk-and-ire/show-flightstats.php?code=LSI

Seems that the following buses have been cancelled tonight:

18:45 Departing Scatness to Lerwick

19:50 Departing Sumburgh Airport to Lerwick

21:05 Departing Lerwick to Scalloway and Hamnavoe

22:30 Departing Lerwick to Sumburgh

The buses departing from Lerwick around 5pm will be leaving behind a gritter convoy.

The traffic along the main road in Cunningsburgh is running freely in each direction at the moment albeit people are going slower.

I have our car's MOT on Monday, in town, so I hope that I will get it there OK. The weather forecast is for some really heavy snow by this time tomorrow.