Brae up helly aa

jasper33

As a term UHA does cover all the events, but if anyone refers to UHA without regional qualification it is clear that they mean Lerwick.

I think that very much depends on where the person saying it comes from!

What every Up Helly Aa does is inspire a lot of very deep rooted and genuine dedication to the event and everything related to it. To say the events are vey different is true, but any making any comparisons as to which is best is akin to arguing who would win between Batman or Superman :lol:

One thing I will say, having both attended and been part of most of the festivals is that none can get the hairs standing on the back of your neck like your local one can.

From a tourist/visitors point of view, how much they enjoy the smaller festivals will depend on how well they can associate with that.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is anybody else finding this knobbish shortening of up helly aa names irksome ,DUHA ffs , who started this nonsense? its Delting Up Helly Aa !! (edit that if you like)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/Delbhoy419/HBK0092_attentionpink.jpg[/img]

I tink you wid fin dat da majority o "country" folk coodna really care less aboot da Lerwick Up Helly Aa!

Da sma country eens at least involve da whole community and dunna treat weemin and bairns lik second class citizens.

Surely it's aboot time Lerwick hed a revamp o whit's become a braaly stale and boring event, as da Nort Boys sed............."We dunna burn wir galley(s) in a playpark"

I tink you wid fin dat da majority o "country" folk coodna really care less aboot da Lerwick Up Helly Aa!

Da sma country eens at least involve da whole community and dunna treat weemin and bairns lik second class citizens.

Surely it's aboot time Lerwick hed a revamp o whit's become a braaly stale and boring event, as da Nort Boys sed............."We dunna burn wir galley(s) in a playpark"

Boring.....Explain?.....Boring :roll:

Guest Anonymous

at the risk of attracting the attention of anybody :shock: , dare i say meekly and blaetly :roll: (on the internet) that the country up helly aas are all more of a spree n agree that Lerwick is a bit lack-lustre and regimented

I wid tend tae agree! Wis in a squad in Brae an been up all weekend an its been brilliant!! An same we all da idder "Country" wans am been tae!

Everybody takes part an its a great comunity event! An squads consist o members o both sexes and all ages!

Where as I always feel da Lerwick wan is unwelcoming, Dare again maybe not moving in the right circles!!!

I'd say that the timing of the conversation could determine which UHA is being referred to.

F'rinstance if you asked a Bressay person on Valentine's Day if they planned to be in a squad at Up Helly Aa - without the clarification of it being the Bressay one - I presume they'd naturally assume you meant the Bressay one, since Lerwick would've been and gone.

And as for the unwarranted criticism of the Lerwick one...na, na bairns.