Council budget cuts

sheltie87

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote from Florence Grains: I’m probably the only non-driver in the council,†she said. “I need to make arrangements to get to Lerwick to do the job, and I don’t have access to a bus.â€

Well isn't that a shame.... what if we all were non driver's and those that are non driver's? Shall we all get taxi's into work and claim it back then? Old Florrie knew she did not drive and knew what the job entailed prior to taking it on and I say it should be tough at the top and if you need to get to Lerwick to fulfill the role of your job then it's up to you to get there, yes and to pay your own way there. This is a totally new EXPENSES SCANDAL!!!

her taxis over say 10 years equals the knitting they have just cut it maybe peanuts but they are gold plated ones. they claimed a 1/2 million on top of there wages.

do they have to disclose there expenses down to the last penny and if so we should be able to see them.

She insisted: “None of the money goes in my pocket. I don’t get a penny out of it.â€

I think the point has been thoroughly missed there. No-one is accusing Cllr Grains of profiting from her taxi expenses, but they are saying that it is a significant sum of public money being spent on taxis.

her taxis over say 10 years equals the knitting they have just cut it maybe peanuts but they are gold plated ones. they claimed a 1/2 million on top of there wages.

do they have to disclose there expenses down to the last penny and if so we should be able to see them.

Read the articles before jerking your knee. The salaries are included. The expenses *over* their salaries are around the £92K mark.

The spreadsheet is published on the Shetland News website.

Note: it is in Microsoft Excel format, but it does open correctly in Open Office. I can't guarantee it is authentic. The document properties are consistent with a file created on a council computer.

EDIT: Sorry make that £93K for total expenses, I misread a column.

To compare the taxi expense with the knitting is reaching somewhat and pretty trite. I do not wish in any way shape or form to support the taxi expenses claimed by Cllr Grains, and while I personally believe them to be in a gray area, I do believe that other areas of expenditure in the council are capable of being cut to support the likes of knitting and music tuition. I think that Councillors should lead from the front, but to factor in ten years of expenses and compare it to an annual cost is just ridiculous.

Read the articles before jerking your knee. The salaries are included. The expenses *over* their salaries are around the £92K mark...

Perhaps Paulb meant that there should be a breakdown of their expenses as opposed to an annual total for the figures claimed? (Say illustrating each occurrence, similar to MPs)

Read the articles before jerking your knee. The salaries are included. The expenses *over* their salaries are around the £92K mark...

Perhaps Paulb meant that there should be a breakdown of their expenses as opposed to an annual total for the figures claimed? (Say illustrating each occurrence, similar to MPs)

Nope he said:

they claimed a 1/2 million on top of there wages.

ive just had a look at there expenses for 07/8 08/9 and 9/10

i find it strange that in 07/08 she claimed 4k then the next year it triples.

if you look at mps expenses you are able to see extremly small claims ie hanging baskets papers ect. we are just given a statement that she spent 14k this year gone and 13 the year before. surly an itemised statement would be better. her expenses are more than some folks wages.

i wounder if the wife can put an expenses claim in to get to work. thats all she is doing she is paid a wage as well as expenses. if she has to use taxis why not to the bus stop.

^ The difference is that Grains is expected to attend all sorts of meetings and events which are outside normal working hours and therefore not on the bus timetable. I agree that she should take the bus where this is possible, but it is not always possible.