Stena Carron protest in Shetland - Greenpeace Esperanza

jetsam

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....but for those who think it would be a good idea to lower the anchor chains slowly to sea level, the same level of control that the rest of the ship has is unlikely to extend to her anchor winch brakes, if indeed she has any.

There has to be some sort of control on them, elsewise they wouldn't be where they are. She's not been swanning around the North Atlantic with them dangling like that, she'd no hae sic'n boannie pentit boos if sho hed.

Nah, you misunderstand me GR, I mean the movements will probably be jerky and abrupt at best and 'lowering them a yard at a time may inadvertently result in a startled activist being ten feet under water in an instant, locked in a tent. Hoisting them would probably be much more controllable.

I was wondering aboot gieing yon eens in da pod some whale steaks I hae in da fridge as an act of "support".

I would even cook it for dem first, slice it intae thin pieces, get some loaf and den offer it tae dem as a whale steak sandwich.

Do you think dey would appreciate it?.

:ponders:

Oh no, wait. I would tell dem it's just a steak sandwich den when dey're glippet him doon tell dem it was whale meat.

Better idea?.

:rofl:

Ah weel, I suppose I have no choice but tae admit there might be a positive out of this stunt. Looking at all the regulars posting here, some of whom I have had quite heated debate with, others who have had their own peerie disagreements, its kinda heartening to see nearly everybody on the same side.

Mods take note - only suitable subject for mass shetlink meetup is Greenpeace. :wink:

Nah, you misunderstand me GR, I mean the movements will probably be jerky and abrupt at best and 'lowering them a yard at a time may inadvertently result in a startled activist being ten feet under water in an instant, locked in a tent. Hoisting them would probably be much more controllable.

No need to say it like its a bad thing. :wink:

Point taken though. Up is a steady haul, down the only concern is to combat gravity by whatever means are most effective.

But does it make sense to sue Greenpeace? Has anyone tried this so far? Their actions make believe they don't bother much about such vanities.

Judging by the tone of many of the posts on here, many people regard their actions as criminal.

I just did a quick google.

Then I went on the internet and found that a company called syncrude did in 2008, to what end I am unsure. Also Esso and many others.

It occurs to me that if what I was doing (ie;drilling for oil) was legal-I repeat, IF- and someone stopped me from doing so at expense to myself in a criminal manner, then i would want to get my money back.

Also, stopping any further criminal activity would be rather easier if the offenders had less cash than before.

Greenpeace seem to spend more time raising money than doing anything with it other than feeding lawyers.

Interesting that chevron use the term "foolhardy" rather than "illegal" in regard to the protest, and this leads me to ask the question: regardless of personal opinion,who is in the right as the law stands?

Interesting that chevron use the term "foolhardy" rather than "illegal" in regard to the protest, and this leads me to ask the question: regardless of personal opinion,who is in the right as the law stands?

A good point. Perhaps even the oil companies dont want to be wasting money pointlessly feeding their lawyers vs GP's ones.

I have no idea which laws are relevant, let alone the details of them, but sheer common sense says it can't be legal to effectively disable the only mechanical backup device which could stop such a vessel running aground.

In fact, I would be pretty confident in prosecuting them for attempted suicide.

Now if they had boarded the vessel and tied themselves to a railing or something in a safe place, that would be different.

The anchor windlass is hydraulically powered. On most ships it is a fairly simple heavy duty clutch.

You have two choices, you can let go an anchor unclutched, in which case as you release the break it will plummet towards the seabed at speed.

Or you can lower it clutched in, in which case you can walk it back all the way down and all the way back up again.

Its mostly lowered clutched in, unless in an emergency.

It can be a bit juderry as the chain comes oot / in o the chain locker.

But step by step approach

1.) Have a tool box talk and complete a thorough risk assessment

2.) Prepare team to lower a man in a safety harness just above the pod.

3.) Pass down to him, a suitably certified wire and shackle of the correct safe working load, passed through a suitable lead or block.

4.) Connect to strong point on top of pod from which it is presently hanging

5.) Using drum end of windlass, take the weight of pod on newly attached wire

6.) When satisfied pod wieght being held safely, cut away original securing arrangement.

7.) Safely lower to back deck of awaiting lerwick pilot boat with police officers in attendance as witness.

8.) Get them to warn the pod occupants that any attempt to interfere during this process will be seen as endangering life/ property/ assault etc.

Job done, lets go drilling !