Shetland Isles or just Shetland?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct!

There is only one Shetland and that is the mainland, the rest of the archipelago have their own names but can be termed "Foula" Shetland Isles, Mousa Shetland Isles et al.

There is a group of islands called the South Shetlands.

The mainland is not Shetland on its own, it is the mainland, as we know it, I wonder if there is an old name for it, or just named as regions?

Guest posiedon
Seaflech

Shetland is called 'Mainland,' on every map I've ever seen.

Well from where I'm sitting,

When mentioned on this forum "mainland" usually refers to mainland Scotland.

Does it not?

Agree about the tin foil though.

As a little aside from the discussion:-

It has always interested me that folk who live in Fair Isle, when planning a trip to Lerwick (for instance) say they are going 'out to Shetland', as though Fair Isle is not actually part of Shetland.

I can understand why, because Fair Isle is most certainly a very special place, and it is easy to see how folk living there feel it is different to anywhere else on the planet, even to the rest of Shetland.

Interesting, all the same.

Seaflech

Shetland is called 'Mainland,' on every map I've ever seen.

Well from where I'm sitting,

When mentioned on this forum "mainland" usually refers to mainland Scotland.

Does it not?

Agree about the tin foil though.

Maybe that depends if you're from any of the other Isles, or indeed on any, when you refer to it.

To me as a Yell man, "the mainland" is mainland Shetland, Scotland etc is "sooth".

As for the topic, I usually say i'm from "the Shetland Isles" if asked. However if I were from mainland Shetland I would probably just say "Shetland".

I remember an explanation when I first joined Shetlink which went along the lines of:-

Shetland is not geographically larger in size than the other islands making up the Shetland Islands and therefore "the Shetlands" cannot be used. If the isle of Shetland was larger in size than all the other islands put together then you could use the term "the Shetlands".

Therefore, taking the above into account, I regard Shetland as being one of the islands within "the Shetland Islands".

Surely then the correct postal addresses would run along the lines of:-

Lerwick

Shetland

Shetland Islands

Scotland

(example) Smith Cottage

Fetlar

Shetland Islands

Scotland

and so forth?

Sorry, can't do that, cannot put Scotland in as part of my address. I live in Shetland and to me Shetland is a place on its own, it is not part of, or subservient to Scotland.

Don't get me wrong, I love Scotland, born in Edinburgh but very strong roots in Shetland and to me it's Shetland, UK.

• 1 year later...

I'm a regular tourist here and when I'm up here I phone my grandma regularly and each phone call makes me cringe as we have the same conversations every time....

*Are you in Lerwick or are you now in the Shetlands?*

ARGH! Lerwick is IN Shetland

*grandad speak to Sal she's in the Shetlands*

No I'm not! I'm in Shetland or Shetland Isles but NOT the Shetlands!!

Makes my toes curl and I don't even live here (unfortunately)

Well, Shetland(s) is as shetland(s) does, the pronounciation and verbal etiquette being paramount however, poison popcorn has released an album and i'm sure all your shetland pronounciation needs will be answered if you go here http://poisonpopcorn.bandcamp.com/

...only 6 pounds or so i believe.

And I'm SICK TO DEATH OF SEEING YOU PLUG IT! Had a listen, and it is nothing special. Crumbs, no wonder you need to advertise it so much. :evil:

...but it's only sick squid:

An elderly squid was laying on the seabed nearing the end of his life when a shark, looking for dinner, swam over to him. "Please don't eat me", said the squid, "I've been sick for weeks now, and haven't got long to go". So the shark said, "Ok, as you're so sick, climb onto my back and I'll take you for a little ride". So the squid climbed on and the shark swam across the seabed until they came to some rocks where another shark was lurking. "Hello", said the second shark, "What brings you over here?". "Hello mate", said the first shark. "Here's that sick squid I owe you"

Ok, back on topic now, the correct answer is 'Shetland'.