33 Million of Cost/Savings Per Annum

icepick239

• 4 weeks later...

‘SIC on the ‘right track’, says Buchan

“I think dramatic progress has been made; and we have done so while we managed to maintain day-to-day services.â€â€™

Monday, 24 September 2012

‘It emerged that, from a list of 62 statutory performance indicators, Shetland Islands Council had performed worse in 30 of them during the last financial year.’

Audit and Standards Committee 27 September 2012

WOW. He achieved all this while only blowing £60 million of our reserves. What a bargin.

‘SIC on the ‘right track’, says Buchan

“I think dramatic progress has been made; and we have done so while we managed to maintain day-to-day services.â€â€™

Monday, 24 September 2012

‘It emerged that, from a list of 62 statutory performance indicators, Shetland Islands Council had performed worse in 30 of them during the last financial year.’

Audit and Standards Committee 27 September 2012

WOW. He achieved all this while only blowing £60 million of our reserves. What a bargin.

Whilst Councilors procrastinated on spending cuts, the reserves shrank to makeup the difference. I do hope the recently elected Councilors take note of this. They have already now agreed to go to a lower level of reserves. There comes a point, usually around zero, that discussions by Councilors about savings will become unnecssary as Officials will take over. If that happens, then you will really know what an Austerity budget is!

Outgoing Buchan has this to say on his last blog:

"Much is said, quite rightly, about the heady days of the mid 1970s, the establishment of the oil port and the creation of the special funds and so on. These were visionary, ground breaking achievements on an international scale.

A re-launched and effective Community Planning Partnership for Shetland involving the Council, Charitable Trust, NHS Shetland – indeed all of the public, private and voluntary sectors – represents the best opportunity for the 2012 equivalent of those pioneering days. I hope my old friends and colleagues will grasp that opportunity with both hands."

The man is a complete joke! Comparing himself to the council of the 70s?

The deals of the 70s brought Shetland a billion pounds. Will his community partnership do this? Can't see how.

Meanwhile,

this is the man on whose watch the reserves started diving again after a brief increase for a year.

This is the man who not only saw them breach the £250m target, but saw them belly flop under £200 million.

this is the man that while he was doing this, 30 out of 62 service measures got worse.

You can paint a turd any colour you like - it's still a turd.

I was viewing the commissioned services of SIC Community Care, does anyone know why they 'buy' the use of the museum and archives from the Shetland Amenity Trust? It cost just over a million pounds. Is that the full cost of running the museum and archives?

Why does the Amenity Trust (through the Charitable Trust) not pay for it?

There is a statutory requirement for councils to provide facilities for the inhabitants of their area for recreational, sporting, cultural and social activities. This includes museums. The old museum was funded by the SIC so I guess they spend an eqivalent sum paying the Amenity Trust to help run the new one.

Would it be unreasonable to charge for admission at the museum to help pay for its running costs - I assume the staff are not volunteers running costs are not granted F.O.C.

It is a bit of a poke in the eye to more voluntary run attractions when they have to charge and the flagship museum is provided completely free. There is no doubt it is an excellent facility, but it does lack the atmosphere of other smaller museums in Shetland.

I hope all the cracks appearing in the back wall of the museum are not going to be the source of yet another big bill to the Amenity Trust (cooncil).