excellent service

caddylamb

Yes, this tropical weather will have ruined it.

What a wonderful by-product the arrival of the hercs will be, and now that the I'm alright Jacks have filled their cupboards, freezers and fridges to bursting point the rest of us will be able to get the fresh stuff. Thank you. :lol:

Mmm - ah yes the "fresh stuff" that's been sitting festering in the back of a lorry for the last few days..

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the stuff that the I'm alright Jacks bought was somehow newer? Perhaps Tesco have also invested in time machines!

Just check the labelling (when you get to the front of the queue). You'll most likely find that most of the produce was harvested outside the UK a while back so your batch will be exactly the same as Jacks. Except he's probably eaten some of his beans now. (Oops nearly slipped into a fairy tale there - must be the time of year (Oh no it isn't shrieked {some} Shetlinkers.....) :)

Well done Tesco for this initiative. I hope that you get plenty of good publicity out of it. I remember the last time that Co-op did this ... no actually I don't, but I do remember day upon day of empty fresh fruit and veg shelves through previous bad weather before Tesco came to these shores.

I was really pleased when Tesco came up here. Whatever the naysayers may say Tesco have elevated the standard of supermarket shopping that we get here in Shetland.

What a wonderful by-product the arrival of the hercs will be, and now that the I'm alright Jacks have filled their cupboards, freezers and fridges to bursting point the rest of us will be able to get the fresh stuff. Thank you. :lol:

This TESCO praise b******t is just going too far. If the store wasn’t exceptionally profitable these mercy flights wouldn’t be happening. Plus we honestly don’t need all the overpriced crap we fill our trolleys with. You’d think the world was going to end today (hint). Furthermore, any ‘astute’ regional director would have based his decision on the figures alone ie how much are we making!

This TESCO praise b******t is just going too far. If the store wasn’t exceptionally profitable these mercy flights wouldn’t be happening. Plus we honestly don’t need all the overpriced crap we fill our trolleys with. You’d think the world was going to end today (hint). Furthermore, any ‘astute’ regional director would have based his decision on the figures alone ie how much are we making!

It's not b***t at all. This shows some gumption from one of our supermarkets sadly missing in the other. I am glad that Tavish agrees. In fact, in honour of this move I think that we should thank Tesco by incorporating their name in our island's name. The first 5 letters of Tesco and the last 4 letters of Shetland would make Tescoland. I think that this would be a fitting tribute to the efforts that they are making for the 50% of us whose cupboards are bare.

The only downside that I can see to this is the fact that all Up Helly Aa acts will be identical as it is the worthiest bit of news we have had all year.

Well done Tesco Manager. Don't listen to the whingers. There are those of us who appreciate your efforts. If I had a Tesco flag I would fly it now!

This TESCO praise b******t is just going too far. If the store wasn’t exceptionally profitable these mercy flights wouldn’t be happening. Plus we honestly don’t need all the overpriced crap we fill our trolleys with.

Perhaps they will fly us up some New Zealand potatoes and lamb, some shellfish, and some of that nice Shetland beer... Not forgetting the bottled spring water.

After all, how else would we get these fine things without supermarkets to facilitate the transition from trolley to car boot?

How else would we pursue our god-given right to elevate Christmas into the usual orgiastic societal ritual?

I demand weekly airlifts of passion-fruit to Unst.

Our pavlova just isn't the same without it...

Yes no doubt they have considered the profits, publicity etc, but they have also considered the customer and gone that bit further to try and get the perishables on the shelfs. More than most will do.

I agree that we don't need to have the trollies buckling under the strain, but I for one will be glad that they may have some of the stuff I would like to make my Christmas dinner special. Now that's after checking my local shop, which I use at least three times a week.

God, I bet it's all smiles in your house at Christmas :roll: :?

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/12/21/ferries-will-sail-on-sunday-says-serco

I wonder if Tesco would have pushed up the price of perishables to cover the cost of hiring a plane if the ferry wasn't sailing? And are they planning to fly in produce that can still be bought locally like bread and milk? (a final kick in the teeth for Malcomsons)

And are they planning to fly in produce that can still be bought locally like bread and milk?

It may well be a good thing if they do, considering what I've heard about key stock lying waiting for the boat for one of these local suppliers.

Even local suppliers rely on freight getting here.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/12/21/ferries-will-sail-on-sunday-says-serco

I wonder if Tesco would have pushed up the price of perishables to cover the cost of hiring a plane if the ferry wasn't sailing? And are they planning to fly in produce that can still be bought locally like bread and milk? (a final kick in the teeth for Malcomsons)

Malcolmsons are mostly engineers of their own problems has as been discussed elsewhere in this fine forum.

Tesco price are set nationally, come on whats going on here dammed if they do dammed if they dont!

There can be variations between shops due to additional costs related to the location of the shop. Though, you will be right, they are set nationally, but not equally. For instance, I can get money off fuel here when I purchase from Tesco, Shetland folk cannot.

If you go to a Tesco Express in a garage forecourt, you will find them much dearer than the Tesco Extra store. The same goes for many national chains.

It will stop the food going to waste and the store losing the money as a total loss.

Yes no doubt they have considered the profits, publicity etc, but they have also considered the customer and gone that bit further to try and get the perishables on the shelfs. More than most will do.

I agree that we don't need to have the trollies buckling under the strain, but I for one will be glad that they may have some of the stuff I would like to make my Christmas dinner special. Now that's after checking my local shop, which I use at least three times a week.

God, I bet it's all smiles in your house at Christmas :roll: :?

What a silly retort...I did wonder what you buy from your local shop; milk, Shetland Times, fuel, fags etc. If so, it’s hardly shopping. Fuel...mmm...there is conundrum, “why dosen’t your TESCO provide their customers with cheaper Fuel ?â€...I’ll answer for you, “Because it wouldn’t be profitable for them!â€. However, perhaps they could fly it in also.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...to you and TESCO

PS...Shopped local this morning, no trolley dodging and all bagged with smile...however, picking-up few items in town later...perhaps calling at TESCO.