Underage drinking

Guest dabuoyfaedanort

Is it legal to serve alcohol to someone that obviously shouldn't have anymore? I too have been in the Marlex and been served whiskey when I was too pissed to say the words asking for it. And thats not to mention how old I was at the time....

On the underage thing. Would it be such a bad idea to remove the age limits and concentrate more on banning the resulting drunken behaviour? At 15 (or whatever) the fact that it is illegal is just one more reason to do it. Call it rebelling, attention seeking, or whatever.

If not I wonder what age people think it should be made legal, the general concensus seems to be that 15/16/17 is fine.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the underage thing. Would it be such a bad idea to remove the age limits and concentrate more on banning the resulting drunken behaviour? At 15 (or whatever) the fact that it is illegal is just one more reason to do it. Call it rebelling, attention seeking, or whatever.

If not I wonder what age people think it should be made legal, the general concensus seems to be that 15/16/17 is fine.

For society to condone the presence of 15/16/17 year olds in the pub drinking alcohol any night of the week would be outrageous.

I think the law revolves around physical growth as well as perception. 15/16/17 year olds are still growing mentally and physically, to condone their self-damage through excessive alcohol would be a definite step backward. Unless they all carried a swipe card to determine that they/we/everybody had not exceeded their weekly/daily limit. Cripes, there's a scary big brotherly thought now.....

Anyway, "getting away with it" intermittently when below current legal age is entirely different to being allowed to by law, i reckon.

I too agree with all you have to say Mario. I also think that south (or in the cities at least) folk are more conscious that they have to have their wits about them to get themselves home safely if they've had a lot to drink. In Shetland there seems to be an attitude that if you end up flakers in the corner of a pub or hall somewhere, somebody else will be there to pick you up and make sure you get home in one piece.

It's more of an issue than that shetlander. Yes, you're right, someone will take you home or at least throw you in a taxi but it's the encouragement for kids to get in those states that is the problem. It comes mostly from their peers. It stands to reason though, your older brother stumbles in at 3am on a Fri and Sat, what are you gonna think? This isn't a rarity either, it's a common place. It's also not a phase, it becomes a pattern. It's just it seems that the Shetland way for young folk is work the week to get money to get hammered. That's a dangerous road to go down, and is obviously, way too easy to get into.

It's hard to explain but there just seems no other way for the young kids to be. Yes, Shetland is good for sport but at the weekends, there isn't really any sport to be had as most of their friends are boozing.

Maybe I just wish it was the 80s again. I could ride my bike like crazy in the King Harald V playing fields, play my Atari 2600 and think it was brilliant, play "kick the can" at the Anderson Road garages, go to JJ Taylors for some sweets and Harry's for a toy.

Honestly, I would hate to be a kid nowdays. Those days were excellent. Oh yeah, and I liked playing that commando arcade game in the Happy Haddock. I remember I cried when I had to stop playing it.

For society to condone the presence of 15/16/17 year olds in the pub drinking alcohol any night of the week would be outrageous.

I think the law revolves around physical growth as well as perception. 15/16/17 year olds are still growing mentally and physically, to condone their self-damage through excessive alcohol would be a definite step backward. Unless they all carried a swipe card to determine that they/we/everybody had not exceeded their weekly/daily limit. Cripes, there's a scary big brotherly thought now.....

Anyway, "getting away with it" intermittently when below current legal age is entirely different to being allowed to by law, i reckon.

I never mentioned anything about pubs. I never said anything about excess either, thats why I mention behavioural laws, so that if you had had excess, you could be suitably punished. Given that behaviour is related to mental growth, and behaviour under the influence of alcohol is related to physical growth, doesn't my suggestion actually fit with what you think?

No strick age barrier, no strict weekly/daily limit. Just a bit of common sense when it comes to behaviour.

And on a note about society, like I say, is it not true that drinking whilst slightly below the age limit is generally considered OK?

Do you think that it would make any difference to our drinking culture if there were more pubs / licenced cafes offering really imaginative activities and entertainment, like the Wind Dog Cafe in Yell does? If there was a good focus for getting together with folk, other than just drink, then do you think that it might be worth while staying sober enough to do the activities?

I too have been in the Marlex and been served whiskey when I was too pissed to say the words asking for it. And thats not to mention how old I was at the time....

I would have to disagree with you regarding the Marlex. I was refused alcohol when I was in a perfectly capable state! I don't know if she got me confused with someone else but my peers and myself were quite astounded.

Drinking has always been part of the Shetland culture, and most people grow out of it - along with teenage spots etc. and go on to live responsible lives (and to cluck their tongues at the next generation coming along who do just as they did). Sadly, this young child got hold of a lot of booze, and we have to ask, not only who supplied it but also where were his parents? Surely they are the ones to be held to account for this? A child is not responsible for its actions, that is why this whole affair must be laid at the childs parents door for they alone are responsible for their child.

The irony is that if you don't (or rarely) drink you are treated like an oddball.

Personally I have enough spine not to drink. I don't care what people say or think. Sadly there are too many impressionable people around and they are not always young.

The government have started to tackle the smoking issues. The next big thing is the fatties, but they are realising now that drinking has got out of proportion. We are all paying too high a price for the yob culture, vandalism, drunk driving, punch-ups etc. etc. mostly fuelled by alchohol. Once the government start to look at how much it is costing the health service today and into the future they might start clamping down on it. They may do well out of the duty levied on booze, but like smoking, there is no real financial gain in the end as we end up paying the price and then some for policing and patching up drunken sad prats and the results of their nights of yobbery.

Get a life - get some imagination and do something other than getting tanked up at every opportunity.

I too have been in the Marlex and been served whiskey when I was too pissed to say the words asking for it. And thats not to mention how old I was at the time....

I would have to disagree with you regarding the Marlex. I was refused alcohol when I was in a perfectly capable state! I don't know if she got me confused with someone else but my peers and myself were quite astounded.

Ha ha du wis quite pitten oot if i mind right, nearly had to get d a brandy at da neest pub to get d ower da shock :lol:

Is it legal to serve alcohol to someone that obviously shouldn't have anymore?

100% NO

It is at the berperson's discretion, however, to decide if/when a customer has had enough.

In fact, if I remember my ServeWise course correctly it is also an offence to allow someone who is ower pished to remain on the premises.

Im fed up hearing about the evil of drinking. Most folk I know like to go out get plastered and have fun. Never seems to do them any harm. Most folk who it does cause problems for have that problems inside them anyway, be it addiction, aggressiveness etc. Its their problem. Drink is just the scapegoat. I say let Shetland carry on the way it is, its part of the charm to me.

• 1 month later...
I'm just flabbergasted at dis story we da peerie boy o' 10 gettin foo an hae'in ta go tae GBH. Whit is this plice comin ta' when folk buy 10 year awlds drink? I mind when I wis underage I got drink bout fir me, but only when I wis at da very least 15+. I just hoop Whaever bout this 10 year awld drink is caught and locked up.

Unfortunately it is a part of growing up, he probably was in his parents drinks cupboard... they should do what my parents did ... and my friends parents.... mark the bottles, either that or have a locked drinking cabinet...

There is another problem of kids nowadays not being properly supervised as their parents work all the time and they are left to wander the streets too much, and there in lies the problem and the mischief....

I got a drink after I was about 14 and it was a peerie glass o cider, at christmas with my parents...

:D

• 1 month later...

(**mod edit - taken from another thread**)

yet again this weeks times has an article about a 14 year old having to be treated in hospital because of alcohol. who is buying it for them, and where are they getting the money to buy it. shuldnt more be done to educate the youth of today on the dangers of booze etc

But alcohol legal and encouraged in society, so it must be safe!

I'm really not surprised that our children are abusing alcohol when the adults are all doing the same.

Inconsistent and irresponsible drug policies, misinformation and a society which measures a 'good night out' on the number of units consumed, amount of vomit produced and how much one is able to remember at the end; these are the problems.