Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

There would be turbines at the back of Brae, so about the same distance.

I don't drive through SV everyday either, unlike the proposed wf.

I live in a Hjaltland house that is the most poorly insulated out of date rabbit hutch i have ever lived in.

I go to the clickamin gym, they have them down south as well you know, as well as schools, care homes, tarmac on roads street lights and shops, lots of shops, and guess what, cheaper bloody fuel :twisted:

I go to the clickamin gym, they have them down south as well you know, as well as schools, care homes, tarmac on roads street lights and shops, lots of shops, and guess what, cheaper bloody fuel :twisted:

The leisure facilities in Shetland are way way above anything you'll get down South for the same population. The tarmac on the roads is in far better nick than most places down South, despite more extreme weather.

The fuel... Yeah, you're right :D

Yeh i agree , good leisure centres for the size of poulation.

The gym at the clickamin does'nt compare to privately run gyms on the mainland.

The rest of the place is very good.

The Muckle cafe is better than anything the council was operating, and no doubt at a profit !

Plenty of potholes in Lerwick.

enkelt skapninger wrote :- The tarmac on the roads is in far better nick than most places down South, despite more extreme weather.

Mair extreme wadder ?, tink maest o da pot holes doon sooth are caused by da extreme frosts which we just dunna get here so roads dunna need da sam level o maintenance....

enkelt skapninger wrote :- The tarmac on the roads is in far better nick than most places down South, despite more extreme weather.

Mair extreme wadder ?, tink maest o da pot holes doon sooth are caused by da extreme frosts which we just dunna get here so roads dunna need da sam level o maintenance....

I agree that the frosts are a big factor in many places, but the potholes in Devon are pretty bad, and frosts there are few & far between.

I'd disagree that talk of compulsory purchase is borderline scaremongering - SSE will have discussed it internally from day one, and as a business they'd have been incompetent not to look at all options, including those that drive a steamroller over local wishes.

If there is any money to be made in leasing the land, it'll be peanuts compared to owning a stake in the venture.

I'll wildly speculate now (as everyone else seems to!). It'll be in 7 figures, but probably not by much, and won't maintain standards of life as they are at the moment, let alone improve things.

I agree wholeheartedly that maybe the deal on the table isn't the best that could have been negotiated, but like you say, SSE aren't going to renegotiate, and my opinion is that the lease-only alternative won't give benefits that'll outweigh the disadvantages.

You are correct SSE will have considered every single option, they will have a strategy for every eventuality which may arise and this strategy will be designed to maximise the benefit for them, not the people of Shetland. That is the responsibility of the SIC/SCT partner. Who gets/got what comes down to who has the hardest nose at the negotiating table.

I know which of those two partners I’d rather have punching for me in a fiscal scrap!

The idea of compulsory purchase is immaterial until such time as planning permission is granted. Without planning permission the site is of little worth to SSE and there would be no benefit for them to raise a compulsory purchase action.

Once planning permission is in place, if the SIC/SCT partner were to renege, or become insolvent or befall some other misfortune which meant they could not uphold their end of the bargain SSE would certainly be in a position to, and most likely would, explore the compulsory purchase option.

Without local authority and landowner support it would, IMO, be as good as impossible for any other organisation to gain planning approval for a project of this scale. That’s why I don’t swallow the “if we don’t do it someone else will†spin.

ArabiaTerra, with regards to a few pages back, the economic problems with renewables are much deeper than what you have outlined, particularly in the differences in job creation between the oil and renewable industries. The influx of money from workers in Sullom Voe's construction and operation is a significant reason why Shetland's economy has prospered over the past few decades. The wind farm will not bring that kind of capital to the islands.

http://www.thegwpf.org/uk-news/2548-new-study-green-sector-costs-more-jobs-than-it-creates.html

This report suggests that renewable industries actually cost jobs, and echoes similar reports from other EU countries. While I think this is not a correct assessment of the situation, and the renewables industry needs to be recognised as a sparse employer in comparison with the oil industry, which by the nature of its model has always employed more people than sustainability would allow, I do think that this is important information, particularly as it is a symptom of the underlying problem in the way in which renewables are being approached.

You are right that I am a AGW skeptic: I can't understand how anyone isn't... But that isn't a conversation for this board. In response to your latter points, I feel that the scaremongering, the hurry, the panic that AGW pressure has put on the renewables industry will lead to significant problems in the future. The only option is sustainability: plant a seed, and watch it grow.

This is the only way this windfarm will make any proposed profit

A FOUNDRY worker with turbine-blade makers Alcoa Howmet yesterday showed off a wage slip that paid him £2.3million

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3440821/Foundry-worker-shows-off-wage-slip-that-paid-him-23m-by-mistake-and-he-paid-back.html

http://www.thegwpf.org/uk-news/2548-new-study-green-sector-costs-more-jobs-than-it-creates.html

This report suggests that renewable industries actually cost jobs...

The Global Warming Policy Foundation is a fossil fuel funded lobbying group dedicated to the cause of denying Global Warming and protecting the global fossil fuel industry.

Every word they produce is dedicated toward that cause. They are not a credible source of information about the science, or the economics.

If that's where you're getting your information, then I'm not surprised you're a denier. It's pure propaganda.

If you want an honest source of information, try here: http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Work your way through those points and if you still have a problem with the science, get back to me. :wink:

If that's where you're getting your information, then I'm not surprised you're a denier. It's pure propaganda.

If you want an honest source of information, try here: http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

But is this not just more propaganda from the other end of the spectrum?.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle...

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy