Drivers so bad they provoke road rage!

^^ A great example. The speed limit for the bus is 40mph, yet it tries to overtake something travelling at a similar speed and almost causes an accident.

As with everything in life, everybody is soley responsible for their own actions. Nobody can be "provoked" unless they make he decision to be so..

a great example indeed, a bus with a 50mph speed limit trying to keep to schedule clearly hindered by an inconsiderate driver going unnecessarily slow

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Highway Code

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

im yet to see a quote from the vigorous opposition.... apparently opposed to adhering to the highway code

Dunna want to get involved in any arguments here, but dir was almost an accident right infront of my hoose da night, a car doin 35-40mph held up a bus and about 10-15 cars. I didna actually see dis, but my pal was stuck behind da whole lot. Da bus took the decision to try and overtake da slow car, but an oncoming car came around the corner and had to brake to let the bus get past. like I say, didna actually see it, but it was surely too close for comfort.

My pal said da slow car had loads of opportunities to pull over, as this convoy had gone on for miles.

Mak of dat whit you will but whitever you do, dunna shoot da messenger!!:lol:

Thank goodness you posted when you did.

I thought we were in danger of having a serious" road rage incident."

From the Highway Code

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

im yet to see a quote from the vigorous opposition.... apparently opposed to adhering to the highway code

Who says anyone driving "slow" (an entirely relative and objective term at best) is ignoring the highway code?

How many laybys are there on the road from Toft to Lerwick, as an example?

I admit I was wrong (and surprised) to find the speed limit for busses to be higher than that for LGV's, but neither that, nor the excuse of keeping to a schedule, is a reason to cause danger to other road users or themselves.

Good driving is all about anticipation, of road conditions, weather conditions, traffic conditions etc. That includes leaving 15 minutes early on a thursday if thats the day auld Meggie goes fur her errands..

As I said before, people are soley responsible for their own actions. If you are late because you did not leave enough time to accomodate a disruption in your own personal schedule, that can hardly be blamed on someone else.

From the Highway Code

Who says anyone driving "slow" (an entirely relative and objective term at best) is ignoring the highway code?

How many laybys are there on the road from Toft to Lerwick, as an example?

I admit I was wrong (and surprised) to find the speed limit for busses to be higher than that for LGV's, but neither that, nor the excuse of keeping to a schedule, is a reason to cause danger to other road users or themselves.

Good driving is all about anticipation, of road conditions, weather conditions, traffic conditions etc. That includes leaving 15 minutes early on a thursday if thats the day auld Meggie goes fur her errands..

As I said before, people are soley responsible for their own actions. If you are late because you did not leave enough time to accomodate a disruption in your own personal schedule, that can hardly be blamed on someone else.

refreshing to see somebody with a positive and safe attitude towards thier fellow road user , thanks spinner

Horses, cows and male appendage beside (please try and stick to a language most of us can understand!) I think that this thread shows how easily some people can be affected by road rage.

Providing each and every one of us take due care and participate safely in driving then this road rage could be reduced by a great amount.

The original (recent) argument was that a van was driving dangerously close and, to put it mildly, being a wooble.

I have always been of the opinion that a slow moving vehicle should pull over and let traffic pass if there is a build-up or if the traffic has been held-up for some time and unable to pass. I have also been of the opinion that you should leave a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front. If it does happen to be an inexperienced driver then chances are they will brake quickly and may have a shorter stopping distance than you. Bang, crash, accident, tears, death, etc ,etc...

The most important aspect of all of this is to keep your cool. You will always meet idiots on the road. You will always meet people with different driving styles. You will always meet tourists wanting to take in the scenery rather than keep their eyes on the road. You will always meet people that think they can safely text while driving.

I am in no way a perfect driver but I do try to respect other road users, no matter how they drive.

From the Highway Code

the only type of vehicle i have experienced doing this is trucks and tractors, its the cars that vary there speed from 35-50 that get on my nerves and usually end up having to overtake them because i do not like having to constantly brake then accelerate because they cannot maintain a constant speed they usually speed up on the straights and crawl around the corners making it more difficult to perform a safe overtake

^^

And as the auld folk always said ..

It's better to be 10 mins late in this life

Than 30 years early in the next !

yep, its a well proven , time tested principal i was trying my best to uphold, worse to send somebody else 30 years early

I agree

Lerwick to Sumburgh ~25 miles

Time taken at average 40 mph = 37 min

Time taken at average 50 mph = 30 min

Time taken at average 60 mph = 25 min