Bowling alley in Lewis

JustMe

^

This was proposed by DITT for their workshop opposite the Coop about 10-15 years ago (they were going to flit to the old Decca station in the Staney Hill) but it fell through. I believe one of the problems was there was not enough car parking space. This was in spite of the Coop car park being across the road and Bolts car park a couple of hundred yards away.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two more points. Orkney has a smaller population that Shetland so the "didn't work in Orkney" argument really does not hold water. And I would also like to point out that according to the Stornoway Gazette this is a commercial project. http://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/news/Isles-first-tenpin-bowling-alley.5168396.jp This means that a businessman thinks he can make a profit with this venture.

Just because a businessman is backing it with his or her own money that doesn't mean it will be a guaranteed success, what it says is they are willing to take a risk, just look at how many failed businesses there are around the isles from folk who took a risk and it didn't work out. The didn't work in Orkney argument holds a load of water because it didn't work in Orkney and it is one of the closest comparable areas to Shetland it indicates such ventures struggle in remote island communities.

I would definately agree that a bowling alley is a much wanted amenity. Surely if the council think that spending millions on a cinema venue when we already have adequate (maybe not that good) place then surely a few lanes wont add too much to the already highly inflated cost? Same with the SRT, they seem to have most feasable leisure facilities covered so why not a small bowling alley? Would be highly profitable I'm sure. maybe even small teams playing matches against each other like any other sport as well.

I want an ice-rink, please.

Thank you very much.

I have heard from a reliable source that the Clickimin will be hosting an ice rink here in the summer! It's coming up from Orkney and will be in the indoor bowling room!! :D

There ya go :wink:

8)

:idea: Better push harder for the 2nd Ambulance

I have always wanted to learn to ice-skate.

Ok, my back is not brilliant and I will look not dissimilar to something off Fantasia (heffalumps!) but it is a dream, perhaps not quite yet ready to be reality!

A girl can dream!

Ice skating isn't as easy as you would think :lol:

I went for the first time last Christmas when i went back home for the holidays. They set up an ice rink the middle of the town, really big one. Lots of people went too, many of which fell over. Many a dodge had to be done to get out of the way! Surprisingly, I didn't fall over once during the entire hour i was there. Was quite proud of myself :P