Pig flu and Shetland

paulb

sorry but no. this lady was not fully fit but she had had two kids before this one. She was not on deaths door before the flu. About 50% of thosethat have died have underlying conditions like asthma and heart problems. but the other 50% were fully healthy. this is what differs this bug from normal flu.

there is a good spin doctoring job going on to down play this bug. The WHO class this beastie as moderate which bungs it into the 1968 range.

there will be more deaths and there is very little they can do to stop it. they have lost control in the Glasgow area hence there change from treating all contacts to just treating the very close contacts.

what was more worrying is that the bma are saying that there members are threatening to not treat flu patients. this is very sad for the medical profession.

the same flu advice still applies stay away from people if you think you have flu. call the doctor and take some pain killers and drink loads of fluids and the vast majority will be fine. if you think your getting a chest infection then its time to call for help.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bearing in mind that the UK has had one death, how come 50% who died don't have any health issues? I'm just being facetious obviously but this Chicken Little attitude is not helping. More folk die every year from regular flu, smoking related illnesses, unseen buses, and rewiring plugs so get a perspective.

I expect the WHO knows what it's talking about and is basing its predictions on firm epidemiology studies.

But a single death in Britain due to swine flu, although obviously devastating to the family involved, doesn't seem worth panicking over on a national level. For those who haven't been exposed, it's just a matter of common sense: if you're frail/elderly/pregnant (immune response is lowered in pregnancy) or have a young baby, avoid large gatherings; avoid people you know have been exposed; eat healthily etc. Death rates are bound to be higher in areas where health care is poor or non-existent and people are impoverished and probably poorly nourished.

The fact is that flu has always been a killer, especially of the vulnerable. My granny died of it at age 97 (technically heart failure, but brought on by flu), and my mum was hospitalised a couple of years ago with double pneumonia brought on by an otherwise mild dose of flu. In 1998/1999, I was living in Norwich and pregnant during a terrible flu outbreak. My baby was delivered in a hospital which had refrigerated lorry parked outside to house the corpses that could not fit into the morgue (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/249038.stm). Now that was really worrying, given the combination of factors (young baby; and for myself, weakened immunity due to pregnancy, plus an underlying health problem). My sister had the flu at the time, and she didn't see her neice till she was three weeks old, because she wouldn't risk infecting her (for which I was deeply grateful!). As a result, baby didn't get the flu that year, and nor did I.

• 3 weeks later...

No one has it ANYWHERE.

At the moment there just trying to generate some worry in the public that there wont be enough vaccine to go around for their non existent flu, to get you thinking you may miss out on something that is going to do you good. IT WONT.

By the time the vaccine (laced with the very worst crap they can fit in) gets released, there will be plenty to go round and it will soon become mandatory that you take it.

Then and ONLY then will you be set to get down with the sickness.

And so it begins:

http://www.hanys.org/news/index.cfm?storyid=1024

rest assured the hospital wards have a folder that the staff are ment to read. there are masks but they have not been trained in there use oh and they have no proper isolation units. but dont worry unless you have an underlying illness you will be fine(does swine flu count as an underlying condition)

rest assured the hospital wards have a folder that the staff are ment to read. there are masks but they have not been trained in there use oh and they have no proper isolation units. but dont worry unless you have an underlying illness you will be fine(does swine flu count as an underlying condition)

Depends if you're the sucker that's got it!

is it me or is anyone else avoiding going away down south this year , i cant make up my mind if ive just scared myself by reading too much on the internet or sending them somewhere its pretty rife is a risk i shouldnt be taking..whenever i speak to family down there they say its not that bad and my refusal to send them has threatened to cause arguments...anyone else been faced with this situation?

let them go. the health people up here are expecting it to arrive. if the family are fit and healthy no reason not to.

if the person is immune weakened then maybe its worth thinking about.

the yanks estimate 1 reported case for every 10 cases so there are or have been a similar number of reporting in this country there have been about 70,000 but that's a guess.

if that figure is correct then you have a death rate of 0.001 per cent. which is very weedy for a flu bug. its worth noting that the spread in the flu season zones are zooming. the African continent is just starting to get hit as is south America. remember don't try to get the bug because it seems mild it still put a fare few into hospital.

hope this is not classed as panic causing.

thanks Paul..

Think my main concern is the bringing is them brining it back up with them because I have a ten month old baby (who wont be going with them of course) the thought of her getting it scares the bejesus out of me to be honest

PIG FLU IS HERE

I went on a reunion piss up to Amsterdam last week spent several days breathing the same air as folks from all over the planet, and admitedly I wasn't feeling too sharp when I got home,

It must of been PIG FLU cause I was sick as a pig for days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

of course it was. i think the best cure for your condition would have been a slow intake of neat alcohol after all its an antiseptic. now if you had been on the p--s up then its your own fault.

just let them go. you 10 month old has as much chance of getting it from people here as from family who have been south. just make sure they don't hang about with sick folks and they have a very very little chance of catching it. but life is full of risk. do we stop the kids from going out in case they get run over.

when and if the bug gets going and if it becomes nastier then isolation of the vulnerable maybe a good idea. but with luck the vaccine should be ready by then.