Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Stopped by Bixter hall this evening because we'd spotted a 'Chinese Takeaway' sign up. Only had a couple of quid, but fancied some spring rolls to eat on our journey.

Was impressed by the really friendly folks running the takeaway. Speedy service, nice food. Best takeaway service. Ever. From the Bixter Hall.... :?

^^^Like I said, takeaways provided by local halls are usually amazing. Not had a Chinese from anywhere but fish and chip nights are always worth it.

When I was younger my granny and I used to go to Aith in the summer holidays and have fish and chips - they were always phenomenal. :)

^^If I'm guessing correctly > then the Chinese Takeaway mentioned could be nothing to do with the hall itself, but the Chinese Burra boy/s who are going round the country halls. We had it for the first time recently in the Hillswick Hall and it was very well used. You could phone the hall to place your order. However, at peak time it was mobbed and your waiting time you were told on ordering was pretty well doubled. <½hr to hr> This wasn't a problem outwith peak times.

We ordered at peak time and did wonder what the quality would be like since they were run off their feet, however it was very good and we'd use it again. I understand they'll be watching costs, but certainly at peak times they could perhaps have benefited from another person working dealing with the public and the phone and passing on info about extended waiting times which was a bit lacking. I think they were keeping their heads down and concentrating more on trying to get through the orders. Well done guys. :)

^^If I'm guessing correctly then the Chinese Takeaway mentioned could be nothing to do with the hall itself, but the Chinese Burra boy/s who are going round the country halls.

You're right, FiFi. They were just using the hall as a place to operate from. I thought it was a good idea and asked them if they were going to be attending other halls too. Only thing they told me for definite was that they'd be back in Bixter in one month's time.

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the Maryfield in Bressay last weekend. Superb as usual. Had grilled king prawns in a hot chilli sauce, it came with rice and the usual side plate of salad, also had a taste of prawns in crab sauce, which was very tasty. Finished of with a pudding of ice cream, cream and strawberries, which were much tastier than the rubbish you usually find in supermarkets. Can't wait to go back.

• 1 month later...

I went to the Maryfield on Saturday and the food was brilliant. I had Grilled Garlic Mussels, Sirloin Steak and Sticky Toffee pudding. Was glad I hadn't really eaten all day. Big portions but absolutely lovely.

If I had to pick my favourite out of that it would be the mussels they were superb.

Went to the Scalloway Hotel for an evening meal recently- Excellent!

Hot, tasty food brought very quickly, Excellent service and good value for money.

{As a fussy Vegetarian, that is praise indeed!

best meal out I've had here since the Vegetarian Experience at Spiggie about 5 years ago}

Canna wait for an excuse to go again!