Simon King's Shetland Diaries

Mattie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Havin been part of the squad Simon King was in Northmavine Up Helly , and living near to where some of the filming took place , was pleasantly surprised at the result ,and his comment on shetland people in particular.

Every area has a fire festival, and regardless of size ?(is that necessarily a guarantee of quality ?!?!?!) it is equally important as a social event.

Long story short, good night had by all, and good pr for Shetland, job done and wi a bit o luck , twartrree mair toories ta look fur otters etc dis simmer, he canna come shun anoff.

The only drawback I can see is that all the tourists who will be attracted to Shetland by this programme will be bitterly disappointed to discover that there are people who live in modern houses, don't necessarily have beards and often don't even speak (or, at least, have to speak) dialect, let alone grunt monosyllables at wild life cameras.

I was very surprised that they had him kill the tern. I would have thought they'd have made him take it to a vet to be euthanised.

A Shetlander I used to know got into trouble at university for putting a myxi rabbit out of its misery. Someone reported him and he was reprimanded by The Authorities. Meanwhile there were probably rabbits being experimented on yards away from where the trial took place. Maybe TV personalities get to blow their noses when they're stopped at traffic lights, as well.

I would have put it out of it's misery. Seems he agrravated it enough handling the poor thing. Imagine you had an open fracture and some one kept moving it and tugging it :roll:

And I'd do the same with a mixi'd rabbit.

Anyone know where the otters and the orcas were on the programme?

The landscape and wildlife filming was fantastic as you'd expect and family sooth thought it did a great job showing how magical Shetland is. But the rest of the 'dtory' made me cringe especially with the varying inaccuracies and embelishments.

Be better if Jonny Kingdom had done it, atleast he is a character.

The otters were Gluss Ayre. Had a feeling it would be on Harry Hill.. 8) The teeny one or two second clip after the credits was a classic - Simon in blonde wig gazing out to the burning galley - "There's not many people on Shetland and they're all marvellous."

See - more of you ought to follow my example and contribute to Shetland tourism by moving away! This both contributes to the current lack of overpopulation of the pristine wilderness, and removes weak influences from the genetic material of those few who continue to eke out a mere survival on its meagre crags and crevices...!

I quite enjoyed the show. Okay, otters don't give me the same buzz that they clearly do Simon, but hey, it's primarily a wildlife programme.

There was a reasonable level of human-interest to stop non-outdoor types from switching over, although I'll admit to cringing a few times; "with a beach like this who needs a TV?" :oops:

That Guardian review, however, was disappointing to say the least. The author was clearly trying to emulate the brilliant Charlie Brooker, but failed utterly and came across as an ignorant, sneering, city-centric idiot. You can almost detect a hint of real malice behind his juvenile , lazy critique - hinting at an underlying professional jealousy perhaps?

I haven't bought the Guardian for a few years, but if that's the standard of journalism the paper currently expects of it's writers then I'll stick to The Beano...

• 2 weeks later...