Jonners

Where do you stand?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand?

• Full independence
    • Crown dependency
    • Keep the status quo

Independence for Shetland?

I wonder what happens when the oil money runs out, and no windmills. The fishing wont keep everybody in the way they have become a customized to these days, I can't see many going back to using horses to plough the fields again, rowing boats out to fish again ect no more care homes. No more going to the pub 52 weeks a year.. And so on, there won't be much money for that anymore. could you afford to pay for your mobile phones. Not if King Sandy has spent it all on a silly music venue or a bridge to some where nobody wants to go to

Call for more control on islands

A call has been made for Scotland's islands to be given more control of their own affairs.

The convener of Shetland Islands Council is urging the Scottish Government to stop centralising services such as tourism and water.

Sandy Cluness is speaking at the Highlands and Islands Convention in Lerwick.

The Scottish Government said more money in return for a council tax freeze allows delivery of local initiatives.

Full potential

Scottish Government ministers have swapped their normal location in Edinburgh for the Shetland talks.

They have been joined by delegates and politicians from right across the Highlands and Islands to discuss topics from tourism to renewable energy.

Mr Cluness is calling for greater autonomy for Scotland's islands to realise their full potential.

He hopes to see an islands committee set up scrutinise legislation affecting peripheral communities and a separate minister for the islands.

Call for more control on islands

The convener of Shetland Islands Council is urging the Scottish Government to stop centralising services such as tourism and water.

Sandy Cluness is speaking at the Highlands and Islands Convention in Lerwick.

An dis fae da leader o a Cooncil dat canna even pit on a music festival fur bairns

:?:

(*** Mod - quoting trimmed ***)

Perhaps we should note that Jersey's stsaus as a Crown Dependency has been blamed in part for the scandal at the children's home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/7266188.stm

Robert, 67, is a Jersey man. He was born here in 1940 - the year the Germans invaded during the Second World War.

Jersey, he tells me, has always had its own rules and regulations.

As a British Crown Dependency which is not part of the United Kingdom, it has its own government and legal system.

"Those rules and regulations do mean it's a simpler life here," he says. "But of course there have been drawbacks to this in the past, and these allegations of abuse tap into that, I fear."

Robert is concerned that there were not enough checks and balances in place in some institutions.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather tragic that Shetlanders, Scots and even the Cornish want independence. Who knows what could follow with NI and Wales and devolution. Tragic, I say, because we encouraging breaking up these great isles that once presided over a whole load of the world, in order to become slightly weaker EU member states. I wish Brits would stop focusing on their divisions and unite.

Hmm, interesting outlook. Are you saying that you prefer the British Isles as a domineering country that preyed on the weak and ultimately took control of them?

Is it a case of becoming slightly weaker states or more self-controlled? If we all united then there is a good chance that we would all become part of the United States of America. Being a United State has made them a super power capable of obliterating any smaller countries that don't 'conform' to their ideologies.

In that respect I would rather there was a little more independence. I would much prefer lots of little 'states' that can get along rather than a 'super-state' that decides how the world should be.

Hmm, interesting outlook. Are you saying that you prefer the British Isles as a domineering country that preyed on the weak and ultimately took control of them?

Is it a case of becoming slightly weaker states or more self-controlled? If we all united then there is a good chance that we would all become part of the United States of America. Being a United State has made them a super power capable of obliterating any smaller countries that don't 'conform' to their ideologies.

In that respect I would rather there was a little more independence. I would much prefer lots of little 'states' that can get along rather than a 'super-state' that decides how the world should be.

Fair points, although the British empire was a great achievement that some might argue had nobler aims than preying on the weak. I partly agree with you in that I don't actually want to be part of an EU superstate. And I dislike globalisation. But when we're talking ona a real small scale, do we really need to break up further? Doesn't the system of local government and MP's work well enough?

But do you think places like Cornwall/Shetland are simply too small for independence? How would their economies change under indepedence? For the better or worse?

Hmm. I don't think he will get very far. He should moor his boat somewhere (if he still has it?) and refuse to pay any seabed rental to the CEC. Of course, boats have been moored all round the coast of Shetland for centuries without a penny being paid to the Crown Estate, and doubtless this still occurs. I think it is only since the introduction of marinas that they have started to charge a levy.