peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Security? I remember they used to announce over the tannoy 'anyone not sailing with the ship go back onshore'

Regards the hull colour of the Clair (3) - I seem to think she was light blue when she arrived, only to be promptly painted 'fleet' black. I thought I had a photo somewhere but can't seem to find it. The light blue was such a different colour to the drab black that we were used to seeing.

Hello

This is my first post to the Shetlink forums so please forgive any breaches of etiquette. I was reading the thread about north boats and was wondering how many of the folk here were old enough to remember traveling on the old St Clair, it was painted black, although the new St Clair may have been painted black when it first arrived I cant quite remember, also how many of you can remember traveling between the islands on the Earl.

I did quite a few trips from Lerwick to Uyeasound on the Earl. Back in the 1960s and there were some bad trips. On one I can remember my father saying “ Hold on to what ever we could find, that was fixed to hold on to as we were going to be hit by a big wave †(Some of the American women on board did not) I can still see it yet in my mind after all these years. The woman and all the luggage and our dog, going from one side of the saloon to the other side, sliding across the floor with there legs in the air and the undignified look on dogs face, when we went to help everyone back to there feet, was something else.. After all he would not go on board at Lerwick, my father had to pick him up and carry him up the gang plank. And then the trouble at Uyeasound with the flit boars. The dog who had clearly had enough of it all, launched it self from my fathers arms and into the sea, swam ashore. And then the whole thing again when we went back to Lerwick was an even bigger nightmare. And looking at all this from my point of view a small boy at the age of seven where every thing looked huge at the height of four to five feet was terrifying. Now I find my self :lol: At the memory of it all like a sketch from Scotch and Wry

....and if you were on the Saturday night sailing south, there was a good chance I was the SOAB who'd had to deliver the loaf that made your Sunday morning toast.

Talk about zero security, you could clunk clunk up the old aluminum gangplank and descend to the galley with a skurtful box of loaf and buns, dump it off down there, and leave agiain, without ever meeting another person most Saturday afternoons.

Mam's said the staff mostly started around 2 O'Clock on Saturdays unless it was summer or something big was on. I'm trying to get her joined up to Shetlink but no success so far.

For those wondering regarding the quotes on SN and in the Times about passgengers being allowed to stay on board recently :

I will certainly give them a ring on monday morning, as I assume higher level staff will more likely be monday-friday, to see what they say, however one would expect the receptionists and ships crew to have noticed if people had been on board! :)

Well, I did, and waited all week for "someone who knows more about the situation" to ring me back.

Still waiting. Will be ringing again tomorrow.

Looking more and more like Bill Davidson just said that to paint a pretty picture to the media. I do encourage everyone else who had to organise, and fork out for, their accomodation following the cancellations to make similar enquirys.

I had a ludicrous experience with Northlink around Easter last year, and was "fortunate" enough to discuss my grievances first-hand with Bill Davidson in their Aberdeen terminal. The guy (both in person and in the media) consistently comes across as aloof, arrogant and uncaring - hardly qualities you would expect from the Chief Executive of a lifeline service.

I won't even bother getting started on a rant about my disdain for Northlink - I'm worried the Shetlink server couldn't handle it.

"Thank you for choosing to travel with Northlink Ferries..." <-- That's like a swift boot in the testicles the morning after a night of uncomfortable hell in a "reclining seat". :x

Perhaps at this point it wopuld be good to remember that ferry operators on other routes charge for reclining seats and it is also worth remembering that ferry operators have even refused to sell "passage only" tickets until all berths have been sold. At least we do have the chance to travel on the floor or wherever.

I have just read that for a second time waves have damaged one of the North Boats in just a few weeks. Makes you wonder if wave patterns have changed, boats are weaker, or they are sailing in worse coditions than they used to allow?

The old St. Clair in the 70's (the one with two cranes on the foredeck) used to sail in anything upto and including (I think) force 9. It seemed to us as crew members that no matter what, she was built for it.

You never had the opportunity of reclining seats if the cabins were full, you bought a ticket and then hoped they had room so that you could buy a bunk. If not, its the bar all night if you got there early.

I do think that they should look at these ferries to ensure fit for purpose. Do they have a Shetland crew? Always made me feel better having a Sheltie crew when I was just a passenger.

The boat is sailing from Rosyth tonight I see...

Delays affecting Aberdeen Arrivals and Departures

Updated on Tuesday 3rd February at 12:00

M.V Hjatland arrived in Rosyth at 11:30.

Due to tidal conditions in Aberdeen Harbour the M.V Hjaltland will depart from Rosyth at 21:00 sailing to Lerwick.

Foot passengers are requested to check-in at Aberdeen as normal between 17:00 and 18:30, they will then be bussed to Rosyth.

Foot passengers may aslo check-in at Rosyth between 19:00 and 20:30.

Vehicles and their passengers are requested to check-in at Rosyth before 20:30.

For further information please call 0845 6000 449

Hello

I was reading the thread about north boats and was wondering how many of the folk here were old enough to remember traveling on the old St Clair, it was painted black, although the new St Clair may have been painted black when it first arrived I cant quite remember, also how many of you can remember traveling between the islands on the Earl.

The first Clair I remember travelling on was St Clair II. She later became the St Magnus. I was just a wee lad, and I remember wakening up in the morning, looking out of the porthole and seeing loads of herring drifters fishing.

I then remember the St Clair III. One of the novelties was, though travelling 2nd class, sneaking up to the 1st class lounge to watch TV. If I remember rightly it wasn't tea and toast you got in the morning but tea and buttered cream crackers. Heading south, though, you might get buttered Blacks biscuits (remember them?) & coming north sometimes Aberdeen butteries (the only kind!!).

In the early 70s I was staying in Scallowa' so on a Saturday you could see the boat off at 5 & then nip across and catch the bus outside the Thule.

The Earl did a nice round trip on a Wednesday I remember. It went from Lerwick - to Symbister - then Mid Yell - Uyeasound (where flit boats were used) - then back to Lerwick.

I wonder why the cargo boat managed to sail the other night when the Passenger ferry stayed in port.

Smaller boat yet able to take the seas, seams to me this was an addmision of the Hjaltland And Hrossey NOT being fit for purpose.

And before folk start pleepsing about passenger comfort if you don't like the weather don't sail, your ticket will still be honoured the next day.

Better still if you are a poor sailor take the plane in the winter save the rest of us having to wade through puke when we go for a piss.