peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

The point on the bright lights is a good one....i mean apart from taking a blindfold with you to sleep, or knock yourself out with a potent mix of sleeping remedies, how can you ever hope to get at least a crumb of half acceptable rest on a ship that's lit up like Blackpool illuminations?

Is it beyond them to fire up the dimmer switch? Is that against H&S regulations i wonder?

NorthLink may just go the whole hog and play "background" music all night, turn the telly (if they work nowadays) on full blast, and having repetitive tannoy calls every 10minutes throughout the night....after all they don't give a rat's backside if you don't take out the option of a cabin.... :twisted:

P.S As they say when you get off "Thank you for travelling with NorthLink Ferries", as if we have a bloody choice in ferry companies!!!

Mebee the Spannish naval architect that had the brief to make a slab sided ferry feel like a cruise ship thought dimmer switches would spoil folk wandering the promanade deck looking at all the fancy marble & bright finnish!

Anyway on my last (pain) trip I had to laugh at something that persuaded me I wasn't alone in my absolute & total disatisfaction with Northlink, I was a few seats away from a single mum with her 10 or so year old wee lass. It was about 1 am and an old drunken Peterhead fisherman was pestering them so the lass asked me to speak to her in the hope of putting him off - Ha never been chatted up with that line before! so we spek awaa and he either got the message or became bored and staggered off muttering some classic doric profanaties.

The we lass got to sleep & then mum culed up in her sleeping bag & said that she thought the fisherman was employed by Northlink's security mob to make the experience even better.

They would never do that , would they - I said?

Although a few light are turned off the security guard said the bulk of the lights were not allowed to be dimmed for safety reasons and you canna get a car or bike on the plane.

You can't get a motorbike on the plane but I used to take my bicycle up all the time.

After having spent a few nights trying to sleep in the forward lounge I did come to the conclusion that no matter how good a sleeping bag you get you'll always be cold in that room, some numpty will wake you up confusing you with someone else saying that they've not seen you in years and my personal favourite the folk who get bored and try and turn the tv on at 3am.

I have to say I was more a fan of the P&O boats, maybe the entertainment wasn't as good, you lost the TV signal 3 hours into the crossing but you did have heaps of rooms with seat where the armrests folded up so you could lie down. It wasn't often I didn't end up with a recliner room to myself :lol:

But then you don't have a car when you get there - so how do you get all round the Isles to see the family? Especially if there are four of you and the airways charge adult fares from age two...

adult fares from age 12, no unaccompanied charges for shetland flights either.

not a driver - yet, but a lot of folk I know hire vehicles when they're up.

must admit booking with flybe is a hassle - but the website's easier to navigate than northlink.

the way I look at it is, £150 for one adult & one child by plane, no cabin costs, no "Mum can I have...", no trying to find somewhere suitable for sleeping with child in sleepingbags if there are no cabins available.

as a single parent I have to buy a whole cabin - usaully a 4berth because children aren't allowed to share

adult fares from age 12, no unaccompanied charges for shetland flights either.

not a driver - yet, but a lot of folk I know hire vehicles when they're up.

Don’t know about Flybe’s kids’ policy as have never tried them. But BA charge a child fare age 2-11 …which is … the same as the adult fare.

As for car hire – been there, tried that. Drove two small children up to Aberdeen, left car at friend’s house, trailed on to Clair carrying wellies, waands, child booster seats as Bolt’s wouldn’t hire any, plus luggage, and then set about hiring car for two days for a trip to Unst. It was an uninspiring Fiesta which didn’t even have a radio, we had it for a third of our six days and it still cost not far off as much as bringing our own safe car with its built-in child seats and all the comforts all the way from home. So we never did that again!