Electricity supply and powercuts

JustMe

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Power still aff in some o Sooth Yell yit, fingers crossed we'll get power da night. :roll:

I tak it Yala, du haes someen oot in da gerege peddlin laek buggery tae wirk dy computer dan ? :wink: .. and I hoop it's no Granny !

Thankfully the power is back on at 7pm and Granny has been bicycle free! :lol: Filled da men we beer and dey filled da generator! :D Been an xmas we a difference fur sure :roll:

Thanks Hydro boys for working in aweful conditions to restore supplies

Pwer restored briefly at one point, attempted a shower, ooops power off hubby had to get the suds and shampoo off with jug and bucket !!!!!! :oops: Made for a memorable 2011 Christmas !!! :) Lost a few tiles nobody hurt though roll on 2012 !!! hope everyone else safe and cosy it's good this picnic lark pity the daylight wasn't bright enough to share the views

Happy New YEar everyone

the powers that be do say it would be more difficult to maintain under ground but at least there would be no poles to fall over or things hitting the cable. If you cannot afford a generator then have a gas cooker, portable fire camping gaz and gaz lamp plus oil lamps as we have, then at least you can have hot food some warmth and light Have done that ever since we came to live in Shetland 19 years ago. just abit of forethought and commen sense really, as the power cuts were really bad when we first we were here

It can be a very expensive project to bury cables, 10 times the cost or more of overheads.

There are the many obstacles the trench would have to negotiate that overheads would not be trouble by. As well as rendering parts of the land unusable. The other alternative is to follow the road infrastructure, that would also increase instillation of underground cables and therefore increasing costs.

I recon Shetland is stuck with overheads.

The powers that be can say what they like but the maintenance underground would be markedly less and the power cuts would be minimal, unlike what we suffer with the supply that they offer at present. I think that I'll spend the next few months bugging them to supply a wee gas cooker and a bag of candles.