Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

Last night was pretty bad, ping around 700-800ms and slow downloads.

Today:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3207155496.png

Would be faster but router connected at lower speed after I rebooted it last night.

The BT problem is still listed as being due to be fixed on 9th?

Ghostrider, what is yours like this morning?

Edited by DizzyKipper

@DizzyKipper,

Mine is "okay" at the moment, the speedtest comes back showing an average speed of what I'd normally expect for the time of day. What's hidden though is that the speed is spiking a great deal frequently, so performance isn't what you'd expect were the measured average more consistent.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3207500737.png

Sometime within the next couple of hours when it gets dark, folk get in for their tea etc, and the load increases with more and more folk coming online is when it will crash right down to a trickle, and stay there until well in to the night.

Just did the test 3 times, pings of 79ms 116ms and last result:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3208275162.png

best evening for a while.

I'm assuming that Plusnet will be using BT's 'backhaul' stuff. So it's not Sumburgh exchange that's fubar just non-BT backhaui ISPs now? (Assuming mine stays like that... last times I posted it went bad again.)

Unlinked was on BT, I assume still is, what does she have?

For anyone that is remotely interested the " ILE DAIX" is on course to be in Macduff by 15.00 hrs on 6th Jan. She looks a peerie bit like a cable-ship. Noo wha wis it dat was bleating aboot the microwave link and cudna wait for the cable to come ?

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/beenister/iLeDaix_zpsfc2585b9.jpg

Count yourselves lucky BT folks - at least you have a connection!

Us Post Office people in Lerwick (and presumably all over Shetland) are still down and have no actual phone line either. I have much disdain for BT, but clearly this much derided 'resilient' line is doing it's job. My Neighbours are happily enjoying a 7mbps connection and have being catching up on the festive TV via BBC iPlayer etc no bother. 

In the meantime i'm using the BT Wifi hotspot service which I can only get in certain rooms in my house... crazy. 

Edited by Horns 'O' Da Geo

According to BT Business Broadband, possibility of fault also at Sumburgh exchange and not just the subsea cable outage - apparently my line is flashing up several faults.

Speed right now:  0.40mb as opposed to 'normal' 6.20mb ... and dropping with ping of 300 mid-afternoon to over 570 a couple of hours ago.  It's fecked.

Equivalent on microlink?  Slow, slow, slow ... until it eventually fell over completely for 3-5 days so 'slightly' better. (:

After seeing no effect for the first few days after the cable break, I am now on similar speeds to Ghostie., how he manages I'll never know.

I'm with BT, so I don't know why I was getting reasonable speeds well after the break, but speed has now been pathetic for quite a few days. Someone must have turned the knob down :-(

Noo, if I lose my phone line or electricity, these providers have to compensate you, so why do broadband providers not have to do the same. As with past faults, they continue to grab the standing order every month, no matter how poor a service they have provided. How many service providers could get away with that?

Maybe if they had to pay compensation, we would get a better service, but it's unlikely to improve whilst they can provide sh-te service and take your money.

Pee'd off and fed up with feeling I'm being ripped off!

@ owre-weel - you can get compensation.  You log a service call.  If your speed drops below what BT stated in their original letter, then you get compensation on the broadband rental.

I'll have to see if I can find the info, I'm sure I did it all on line, but they likely sent something in the post.

The last time we had a complete outage and no broadband for a week, I emailed them on several occasions stating that they should at least reduce my monthly fee. Of course as expected I didn't even get a reply, never mind a reduction. I also spoke to a "so called" supervisor when phoning in the poor speed last time and he told me that they state the expected speed, ie 6mb but that is not guaranteed, therefore they couldn't reduce my bill.

Of course they said I should have been using the bt speed tester as proof, despite me telling them that the system was too slow to be able to run it. That was after several calls through the Indian call centre, going through the same questions and being told there was no fault, it had to be my equipment.

To be honest, you just give up and accept a crap service as there is no one who might provide a better one, hence, why they get away with it.

But thanks for the info :-)

@ owre-weel - you can get compensation.  You log a service call.  If your speed drops below what BT stated in their original letter, then you get compensation on the broadband rental.

You might, as a business customer, get some compensation but I fear mere mortals do not.  Well I never got anything from BT when my phone was off for several days nor from my ISP as of course the internet was off as well.