Warning, phishing scams on the up.

shetlandpeat

From the Times

NEWSFLASH

We have been contacted tonight by the local police to put out this warning as there is a scam on in Shetland this weekend

Police in Shetland are investigating multiple frauds and attempted telephone frauds from criminals reporting to be from respectable financial institutions. "Phishing" takes the form of a fake e-mail or phone call purporting to be from your bank or a financial organisation. They may claim to require confirmation of some information or that there has been a security breach. By answering the caller's questions or even clicking on the e-mail link (which would take you to an identical in appearance "cloned" site), your bank details will be accessed and used for criminal purposes. You may find your bank account emptied, contracts set up in your name, or credit cards used to purchase goods. Reclaiming your financial security following one of these attacks can be a long, and sometimes costly process.

A police spokesman says "Don't reveal personal details in a phone call - no proper institution would ever cold call, let alone ask for personal details. Ask for a name and phone the customer service telephone number that appears on your original contracts/card. Never click on a link in an e-mail that wants you to reveal personal information. Instead, open your browser and type in the link. If you become a victim, immediately inform your bank and Credit Card Company.

If something seems too good to be real, then it probably is. The chances are that all those "opportunities" are all scams"

Never click on a link in an e-mail that wants you to reveal personal information. Instead, open your browser and type in the link.

:shock:

What an insane piece of advice! 9 times out of 10 you will still end up at the offending site.

I wonder whats spurred on this sudden "panic", as surely most people get at least one or two of these type of emails a day? :?

I've had less of this phishing rubbish over the weekend than usual! But Did get one supposedly from ebay - pay me later, whatever that is threatening court action for failure to pay a bill! If you hover over the email it shows an extension from a legitimate site taking you to the dodgy bit!

I wonder whats spurred on this sudden "panic", as surely most people get at least one or two of these type of emails a day? :?

It seems that quite a few people locally have been getting cold calls which sounded plausible and were claiming to be from Santander. From this quote

Police in Shetland are investigating multiple frauds

It sounds as if some folk have been caught out with it.

Never click on a link in an e-mail that wants you to reveal personal information. Instead, open your browser and type in the link.

:shock:

What an insane piece of advice! 9 times out of 10 you will still end up at the offending site.

:lik:

^^ Absolutely, but those sort are pretty rare now aren't they?

Usually they are a valid address made to look similar to the real one, for example the link in a paypal one I had today began:

http://paypal.com.us.cgi-bin

Which is pretty similar to the proper US homepage of http://www.paypal.co/us/cgi-bin

I think the best advice is never to open a link in an email by any means!

Got this from my bank.....

Clydesdale Bank has been made aware of a scam being attempted which can result in loss of funds. Customers are contacted by phone and told it is the bank calling and that there is fraudulent activity on the account or an outstanding payment which requires approval. Customers are asked to confirm personal and banking security data including passwords in order that the payment can be investigated or generated. On occasion customers are advised to call the number on the reverse of the bank card however the fraudsters remain on the line and customers continue to speak with them and not the Bank. Once personal and security data is confirmed this allows fraudulent login or contact to be made by a 3rd party. Clydesdale Bank would like to stress we would NEVER request confidential information or security details in order to assist with your enquiries and this information should NEVER be shared with any other party. If you are concerned you have divulged details then please contact the Internet Banking Helpdesk on 08447 362616

^^ Absolutely, but those sort are pretty rare now aren't they?

Usually they are a valid address made to look similar to the real one, for example the link in a paypal one I had today began:

http://paypal.com.us.cgi-bin

Which is pretty similar to the proper US homepage of http://www.paypal.co/us/cgi-bin

Really ? The latter is valid, but not in USA, unless Colombia is now part of USA ?

I