What are you currently reading?

.. and if anyone has suggestions of other good reads of historical novels (e.g. located in Shetland?!), I'd love to hear of them

If you mean fiction (which is what a novel is, but i'm maybe a bit confused if you are researching Shetland why you would want fiction), Ann Cleeves has written a couple. Not read any of them myself, but been told they are a good read.

http://www.anncleeves.com/shetland.html

Emmantro,

Thanks for the link, to read it swapit.

I usually use the library, you can order online and just go in and collect when you're in town, the charity shops are good as well, this is good third option if I can't find what I'm looking for in the other two.

:D :D

If novels based on history is your thing, there's a few Shetland based ones, any of the four detailed at these two links....

http://shetlopedia.com/D._Hilda_Peterson

http://shetlopedia.com/Shadowed_Valley

...and J.W. Irvine has done at least one historical novel as well as several factual books, I can't remember which one it is, but the full list of his work is here....

http://shetlopedia.com/James_W._Irvine

Not personally read any of them as fiction isn't my thing, but all from from respected authors.

Then there's pure fiction (yet anyway), but loosely set in, or more accurately in the sea off Shetland, with Hammond Innes' 'North Star' from the '70's. I have read that one, back in the 70's when it came out that is, so memory is hazy, but I seem to recall it being not bad. Probably would read a bit dated now though.

I'm re-reading 'I am Legend', because after seeing the film I think I need to send my book back to the publisher.

It seems as if the chapter where a carefully manicured scientist saves the world in the last few moments must have fallen out of my copy.

Yeah thought there must have been a sequel written I didn't know about

^^^

Did you prefer the movie story or the original book? For me, the original was far better, the bleak image painted brought "The Omega Man" to mind if you drop off the last two minutes.

The Omega Man was based on the same Richard Matheson story though, I think? The book is far more atmospheric than the film which looks like another man vs. creature shoot-em-up. As a film by itself, I guess it's pretty enough, with plenty of CGI and moody shots of Will Smith.

I wondered why they even bothered using the name 'I Am Legend' since they actually used so little of the book. The 'Legend' (if I remember rightly) is how the creatures will come to refer to Robert Neville after his demise.

I guess they gave it a "Hollywood Ending".

And Hollywood Beginning and Middle.

I have just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, and what a desolate road it is.

A grim journey through post apocalyptic America where a sense of foreboding awaits you on every page, but there's always a glimmer of hope. A real page turner and definitely worth a read--it took me two sittings.

I'm just about to start reading "Look to Windward" by Iain M. Banks. I've read a fair bit of Iain Banks over the years, but this is the first time I've attempted any of his sci-fi novels.

also still struggling through 365 Lithuanian verbs

I'm just about to start reading "Look to Windward" by Iain M. Banks. I've read a fair bit of Iain Banks over the years, but this is the first time I've attempted any of his sci-fi novels.

I wouldn't actually recommend that one as a first sci-fi Banks. I didn't think it was that good. Try "The Player of Games" or "Use of Weapons". :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

(sorry for the late response, been driving up in the van with a limited internet access…)

Muppet – I am interested in fiction as well, for two reasons

1) first reason is related to my research; I am looking at representations of Shetland, mainly in tourism context but otherwise too, and the fiction writing, whether by Shetland or non-Shetland authors, can be seen as a part of this.

2) second reason is more personal - I like reading fiction! :D

Thanks for reminding me of Ann Cleeves, I’ve read ‘Raven Black’ but hadn’t heard there’s a new one!

Suzanne – good to have directed a new member to RISI :)

Ghostrider – thanks for the links, look good! Another trip to Shetland library so….

Now reading: ‘Half of a yellow sun’ by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Set in 1960s Nigeria, a compelling and interesting read from 3 different person’s point of view.

http://www.halfofayellowsun.com/

Before that read ‘The Austen Bookclub’ by Karen Joy Fowler, an interesting & easy read with loads of Austen references & a comprehensive appendix!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jane-Austen-Book-Karen-Fowler/dp/0141020261

(I could do a bookswap of this one to something like another light 'girlie book' or a crime story or some Shetland book - if someone is interested, send me a PM)

^^^I have 'Half A Yellow Sun' down here but it's been consigned to the reading list during exam revision etc.

My auntie loaned me her copy of 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly', which was good - well, what I read of it was. I didn't get it finished, it's still at home and I'm down here.

See, I'd compiled this massive summer reading list that I intended to consume last year, only for the last Harry Potter to come out. So it kind of fell by the wayside somewhat...:(

Will try again this year though :)