Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

Do you tink Boris should be doin ony apologising? He doesna seem lik a man dat has muckle shame so I tink an apology fur onything is liklee unliklee!

I'm no big supporter of Boris I can assure you, but give Boris his due he "grasped the nettle" and went for it.

What is the point of sitting for now years on end discussing the same thing over and over again and getting nowhere.

Boris has got the ball rolling and hopefully it will fall in the correct pocket and just ma'be parliament might get back to discussing and deciding something more important to us all,rather than Brexit.

Boris should not apologize in my opinion as we are supposed to live in a country of free speech ,but this is slowly being taken from us..

Did prohibition stop folk drinking NO !, and trying to shut folk up will not stop them speaking only encourage them to talk more. 

He has been criticized correctly at the time and now it should left alone,

I do not agree with what he says but i respect his right to say it.

In a free country why should we be dictated to act in any certain way just to appease those who think differently.

Lets live and respect each other no matter what they say, I have like most folk had many unpleasant things said to me and about me but I have learned to ignore them .Very often those remarks said by people we love and respect .   

Did anybody hear his own sister, somehow pluck from out of nowhere, that maybe his drive for no deal could possibly be driven by his backers shorting on the pound and aiming to make billions at the expense of the entire nation? Where she got that from is anyones guess... no, wait... they have over 8 billion invested in shorting already. But yeah, good old Boris is trying to deliver the will (what's left of it) of the people good old chap that he is. Quite how anyone can defend that pathetic excuse of a man just does not compute.

• 2 weeks later...

How many vessels like the FV Margiris, would it take to completely change the UKs fishing industry this would close all our shore processing plants not to mention all the other firms that depend on our fishing fleet.

This must not be allowed to happen or it will cost many jobs.     

Edited by Urabug

If you look back 50 years we used to have a lot more whitefish processing factories, employing lots of land based staff. They were all over the place. Now it seems to be mainly salmon processing. I’m assuming whitefish landings are mainly shipped out whole to other places for processing.

It always annoys me that a bit of “sooth branded” breaded haddock is a heck o a lot cheaper than locally caught stuff. When I was young we had fish at least twice a week as it was a good and cheap lunch, now I only buy local fish as a special treat.

As for the local industry being wiped out, I would think the large pelagic boats are still making money, or they wouldn’t be buying new ones. The white fish fleets is another issue and I would without doubt blame that on the common fisheries policy.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look back 50 years we used to have a lot more whitefish processing factories, employing lots of land based staff. They were all over the place. Now it seems to be mainly salmon processing. I’m assuming whitefish landings are mainly shipped out whole to other places for processing.

It always annoys me that a bit of “sooth branded” breaded haddock is a heck o a lot cheaper than locally caught stuff. When I was young we had fish at least twice a week as it was a good and cheap lunch, now I only buy local fish as a special treat.

As for the local industry being wiped out, I would think the large pelagic boats are still making money, or they wouldn’t be buying new ones. The white fish fleets is another issue and I would without doubt blame that on the common fisheries policy.

Fae da Shetland News daday - Whitefish landings at record high

I doot da whitefish industry is in braw good health

Fae da Shetland News daday - Whitefish landings at record high

I doot da whitefish industry is in braw good health

Yeah du’s right on dat, but I wonder what percentage of whitefish landings are actually processed in Shetland

^ The catching sector may well be in a reasonably healthy place, but could be in a far more healthier one if all the fish taken within 200 miles/median of us were caught by Shetland boats, or at least if taken by others, there was some sort of reciprocal agreement whereby Shetland benefited in some way.

The 'added value' sector however virtually ceases to exist, 40 year ago there were in to double figures of processing factories, all appearing to be doing pretty okay, now unless for one or two niche outfits there's nothing. Relying entirely on a 'fresh' only market for whitefish, which in turn relies a boat run by politicians making a trip every night, or boats tripping it themselves, is putting eggs all in one basket, which is never wise.

Shetland may well be able to sell all the fish its current fleet can catch with current quotas to the fresh market with current transport connections, but the fleet needs the fish others, with no connection to Shetland are currently coming here and taking, so that it can grow and develop in to the 'added value' sector again, otherwise the industry has no resilience.