Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

From Arabia Terra]

Climate Change!

"It doesn't matter how much oil, coal and gas is left in the ground. We can't afford to burn it".

Well I must inform you sir that burning it is exactly what is going to happen!

If you haven't heard, Shetland is getting it's very own gas processing facility which will be producing gas - TO Burn for the next 25 years.

Down in Aussie they have planned and have started production to build the biggest floating gas facility in the world, it will also be the biggest floating man-made structure in the world.

The gas reserves found offsore off eastern africa rival that of Quatar in the mid east.

Yep we will drill for and burn that lot too!! I guarantee it!

Shipyards across the world have now started building the latest generation of ULTRA Deepwater drilling rigs, with the capacity to drill 2 wells at the same time in over 2000m of water . When we get the oil or gas out of these deep wells that will be brunt as weel.........

Viking windfarm ? The final fraud to clean oot the S.C.T.

My prediction for 2013..... - Interconnector cable cancelled.

• 2 weeks later...

This is also very interesting. The Ballarat Independent have investigated who the Waubra Foundation (who produced that video) are.

http://theballaratindependent.com.au/news/article/who-is-the-waubra-foundation-really

The Waubra Foundation has no physical address in Waubra and, indeed, appears to have no local Waubra resident on its board. It boasts a "medical director", Sarah Laurie, living in Crystal Book, South Australia. The same address as that of the Australian Landscape Guardians and Peter Mitchell, Founder and Chair of the Waubra Foundation.

Mitchell certainly has interests in the fossil fuel industry, these include founding chairman of the Moonie Oil Company Ltd. and chairman or a director of related companies including Clyde Petroleum plc, Avalon Energy Inc, North Flinders Mines Ltd, Paringa Mining & Exploration plc (most now delisted on the ASX).

So just who is going to fund VE's legal expenses in this Judicial Review?

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6030-sustainable-shetland-celebrates-as-court-grants-cost-protection-order

why sustainable shetland will when they lose.

unlink i suggest you read the paper and ask why would burradale be planning to build 11 3.3mw turbines if it was a bad idea. even our little turbine is producing over 50% of its max out put. lots of other companies desperate to get in on shetland offering upto 20k a year rent.

So just who is going to fund VE's legal expenses in this Judicial Review?

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6030-sustainable-shetland-celebrates-as-court-grants-cost-protection-order

why sustainable shetland will when they lose.

unlink i suggest you read the paper and ask why would burradale be planning to build 11 3.3mw turbines if it was a bad idea. even our little turbine is producing over 50% of its max out put. lots of other companies desperate to get in on shetland offering upto 20k a year rent.

No, paulb, I've read the paper. Ask yourself why Burradale, when already some of their Directors are involved with VE, feel the need to build more. Will VE not make enough profit for them? £20k per annum rent wouldn't be sufficient to cover the health risks from flicker, destruction of Shetland landscape, etc., in my book.

I also suggest you go and read up more on Judicial Review procedures. My understanding is that Sustainable Shetland are challenging the Scottish Government's decision. VE may well decide to put forward evidence (if requested?) and without delving deeper, I don't believe they are a party to the proceedings, with the parties being Sustainable Shetland -v- The Scottish Ministers.

you posted who will pay ve expenses as not apart then they don't have any.

why do you think they are planning to bung up a 36.3mw farm. its dead easy really lots of money. you ask a crofter if they would be tempted with 400k over 20 years for a small area of land. you bet there will be takers. lots of them. you do relise thats more than most crofter make in a year from there crofts. next acres of solar panels. then we will fill the sea with sea snakes.

really what your friends in nimby shetland should be concentrating on is the cable if that get put in then forget about ve thats small fry. also you should start worrying about the shale gas production that may take place around shetland.

you posted who will pay ve expenses as not apart then they don't have any.

why do you think they are planning to bung up a 36.3mw farm. its dead easy really lots of money. you ask a crofter if they would be tempted with 400k over 20 years for a small area of land. you bet there will be takers. lots of them. you do relise thats more than most crofter make in a year from there crofts. next acres of solar panels. then we will fill the sea with sea snakes.

really what your friends in nimby shetland should be concentrating on is the cable if that get put in then forget about ve thats small fry. also you should start worrying about the shale gas production that may take place around shetland.

So, it costs nothing then for VE, if requested by the Court, to prepare paperwork, have their legal beagles look over it so it is presented in a suitable format (Judges tend to be fussy regarding layouts, etc.) and whack a stamp on it? VE may well choose to have a QC represent them if requested by the Court to clarify anything.

What perhaps some of us in "nimby shetland", including crofters (and I know more than one) who believe that the land is there to be used for crofting and not wind farms, have realised is that not only is wind power unreliable but in order to make a profit wind farm developers rely on subsidies. Ask yourself why the interconnector is being delayed. Ask yourself why the other one SSE are involved in has problems and why the Scottish Government are inquiring.

And ask yourself if you could live with the fact that VE will blight people's health - I, for one, know that money doesn't buy happiness and look at how many land owners now complain (some do go against gagging orders) and speak out, saying how they wish they had previously said no. You want to preach, paulb? Then remember money is the root of all evil.

And ask yourself if you could live with the fact that VE will blight people's health...

That's not a fact though. It's a supposition. There's never been any hard evidence that people's health is affected by windfarms, just as there's never been hard evidence that power pylons or mobile phone masts are harmful. The reason being that it's extremely hard to quantify and measure. Take the so called 'flicker effect'. If it actually exists, who come commuters along the A971 into Lerwick from Scalloway and Tingwall aren't distracted and affected? Or why don't we hear complaints from the people who live in sight of the Burradale turbines, bar one letter in the Shetland News last week - to my knowledge, the 1st in over 10 years of those turbines being in operation?

What we do know is that people who don't like something are far more vocal about it than people who do. I would suggest that the latests rash of letters appearing in the paper & on SN is a rather desperate attempt by SS supporters to keep up pressure and 'prove' there is no support for the Viking windfarm.

Meanwhile, we've had an oil processing plant thumping away at Sullom for the last 30-odd years, along with a huge diesel power station in Lerwick, both spreading various gasses into the air. And do SS complain about the associated health risks from that? No. Because it doesn't suit their agenda. SS aren't on some crusade to safeguard Shetland's ecological future, or our health. They're nimby's. Purely & simply.

The judicial review from my understanding cannot overturn the decision to build Viking. It can only look at the way the decision was arrived at. SS have nailed their colours to completely the wrong mast with that one.

And ask yourself if you could live with the fact that VE will blight people's health...

... Take the so called 'flicker effect'. If it actually exists, who come commuters along the A971 into Lerwick from Scalloway and Tingwall aren't distracted and affected? Or why don't we hear complaints from the people who live in sight of the Burradale turbines, bar one letter in the Shetland News last week - to my knowledge, the 1st in over 10 years of those turbines being in operation? ...

... The judicial review from my understanding cannot overturn the decision to build Viking. It can only look at the way the decision was arrived at. SS have nailed their colours to completely the wrong mast with that one.

The same person who wrote to Shetland News also posted a video on Facebook showing clearly the flicker effect so yes, it does exist.

Judicial Review Judges can rule decisions as being unlawful. Even if a Judge finds a decision not to be unlawful but questions the way in which a decision came about, they can say that it went against the laws of natural justice. Either way, they can quash the original decision and the whole thing goes back to the drawing board - whether or not that would mean going back to the SIC stages or just the Scottish Ministers having to re-consider, I'm not sure.

Sadly, there are too many things that can have an adverse health issues. The "syndrome" associated with turbines can some times be self inflicted, I have witnessed outrageous claims about the health issues here.

As the machines are "less than 50% "efficient"" some claim, and the fact that the sun has to be behind the turbine and it is dark some of the time, I wonder about how this can adversely affect folk, I wonder were these same people affected by a stream of cars reflecting the sun, or disco lights and so on. There has been nothing to stop the building of turbines as far as health is concerned. To satisfy folk, many authorities are extending the limits to housing. Why did the Americans not bring this up many years ago with their wind driven pumps or those communities living close to wind powered mills and so on. From what has come before us, it seems to be in the mind of the protester generally.

What we do know is that people who don't like something are far more vocal about it than people who do. I would suggest that the latests rash of letters appearing in the paper & on SN is a rather desperate attempt by SS supporters to keep up pressure and 'prove' there is no support for the Viking windfarm.

I find it difficult to understand how anyone can support Viking Energy in terms of size, ecological impact, proximity, health etc. (IMO), but I can understand how promises of massive profits sway people into support for covering the isles with wind turbines. The wealth creators hardly came out in droves when asked by wsg to show their support... maybe most of them are intelligent enough to realise that such promises are unrealistic. People who object have genuine grounds right now, but what are the grounds for mass support? is it the huge profits promised? or perhaps there is actually nothing to support at the moment and people need to wait for better proof of financial viability (meanwhile Ofgem, Lewis subsea cable, VE changing all its directors amongst other things makes viability look increasingly tenuous).

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy