Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

Doctors can already supply injectable opiates. I would not be suprised at the depth of the methadone marketing ploys.

From folk I have spoken to they miss the instant rush, the needle fix that orally taken methadone does not give. Hence folk still will seek that rush.

So, in a way, it is already legal, it justs needs the planning and infrastructure to prop it up and slowly lower it.

If you read the links I posted about alcohol, than you would realise that comparatively, opiate addiction is the cheaper option from the two.

Perhaps over a quarter you could add up newspaper column inches on arrests for each, I bet I know who will win.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say hutch.

It seems that the safety net for loosers as you say was installed for the xs of alcohol taking, 374 million on fixing folks damaged livers, because it is legal, it seems to boil down to educating folk, 300 million on accidents and the disruption each one causes. I read once that a fatal accident costs one million from start to finish.

So cutting opiate abuse may sve enough to buy 3 years of cancer drugs, but it is 10 times less than the money alcohol takes from the system.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does OP8S 'attack' everyone with a different opinion ?

Personally, I think that the only way forward with drug abuse is to remove the criminals who are supplying it and, the best way I can think of doing that is to start prescribing it to registered addicts on the NHS.

Prescription charges (if any) should go some way towards recovering the cost and addicts will get clean drugs administered by doctors etc.

Every fix they get from a doctor is one fix less that the dealers supply. Take the organised drug gangs out of the loop and you should see a great reduction in the problem.

Colin, I don't no how you've come to the opinion that I've " attacked " anyone using this site. All I've done is reply with my own opinion & which is based on my own life experiences & fact, things that I have educated myself on because of interest & a cynicism that as a member of the general public we are often mislead by the media. I think if you read over the posts that I was replying to you would have seen that.

Your post I agree with completely, because it makes sense. It's not just based on second hand information or the, at least misleading media information the British public are fed on a daily basis.

I expressed sympathy with someone who has lost a friends brother fighting in Afghanistan, but also pointed out that thousands of Afghani's are also grieving for loved ones, a balanced point of view & certainly not an attack.

I've given my opinion on the subject of drug policy in the U.K. & though some people with any depth of knowledge into the subject agreed I also read several posts that were obviously of a more conservative point of view, but offered no real fact to back up their point beyond " lock da druggie boobalubes up " which isn't very logical or constructive. I responded to one by pointing out that alcohol was as dangerous a drug as any, but I don't think the fellow realised he had contradicted himself in the first place.

If you point me out to who I may of offended then an on-line apology will be forthcoming.

Anyway, I think I made it pretty clear which side of the fence I'm on from my first post. All drugs should be available to decent folk using a proper means of distribution which could provide our NHS with the cash injection it so very much needs. This would also hopefully stop the growth in so called "legal" highs which at the moment are probably the most dangerous substances to be taken.

No matter what we do in society people are always going to want to alter their consciousness in some way, it's part of the human condition. Whether it's a few whiskeys, licking the back of a cane toad, smoking a few reefers or taking an opiate. What we have to do is not spend our time differentiating over which is our preffered substance but try & make the consumption of these substances as safe as possible. Education plays a big role but getting everything out into the open & away from the criminals is the most important issue at the moment.

[

Colin, I don't no how you've come to the opinion that I've " attacked " anyone using this site.

OK, maybe it's your writing style or, maybe, it's the way I read it. :D

I see that you have very few posts to your name. Might be an idea to be a little less forthright until everyone gets to know you better.

Is neither young ..nor a drug taker ..nor a troll. Is however someone who has done her reasearch and a lot of it and found hard evidance to prove that it has and continues to work in other EU countries, the fact that the Swiss saw addiction figures drop by 90 percent must perk your curiosity surely?

Sorry no , objectively looking at this line of thought its simply changing the law to cover up a statistic. The most of europe has a better way of thinking. This country is never happy unless theres ample qibbling and quarreling , mainly over money and greed , and fair enough i could see how some could be tempted to turn to hard drugs. Legalising hard drugs will undoubtedly see a massive increase in robbery ,theft , and violence whatever corrupt statistics you can trawl up on the good old internet.

Well now we see how hypocritical our health board really is.

It would seem that if a Nurse or Doctor, is seen smoking in the grounds of the hospital.

In there uniform! It is grounds for instant dismissal .

And after all the fuss about underage drinking or anything to do with drink

They have given the ok to open a drug store next to a pub in Scalloway.

If the local shops have been broken into for scratch cards and money.

I wonder how often the drug store will be broken into just to get a fix.

Well now we see how hypocritical our health board really is.

It would seem that if a Nurse or Doctor, is seen smoking in the grounds of the hospital.

In there uniform! It is grounds for instant dismissal .

And after all the fuss about underage drinking or anything to do with drink

They have given the ok to open a drug store next to a pub in Scalloway.

If the local shops have been broken into for scratch cards and money.

I wonder how often the drug store will be broken into just to get a fix.

thats using the logic of the pro drugs faction , leave a couple o 9 bars n a gallon of yun heroin substitute on the doorstep at night for any poor soul that runs oot

Is neither young ..nor a drug taker ..nor a troll. Is however someone who has done her reasearch and a lot of it and found hard evidance to prove that it has and continues to work in other EU countries, the fact that the Swiss saw addiction figures drop by 90 percent must perk your curiosity surely?

Sorry no , objectively looking at this line of thought its simply changing the law to cover up a statistic. The most of europe has a better way of thinking. Legalising hard drugs will undoubtedly see a massive increase in robbery ,theft , and violence whatever corrupt statistics you can trawl up on the good old internet.

You don't seem to get it, what we are saying.

You are not legalising, it is already legal.

All the stats show, as my post may indicate that crime rate drops, you may need to read into it. Then you may understand what we are suggesting. At the moment, it is not controlled.

But it seems what ever is logically put forward there will be some who may not comprehend. You could go and talk with someone, they may help you see this side of the debate, then you can make a true and educated statement.

So, you are not adding to the debate, just stagnating it.

Yet I take all as requirement, punishment, treatment but without the apparent hate. Or lack of confidence in others. If you cannot go through life without constantly thinking the worst, you may as well give up the spark.

There are 3 models available, if not more, yet you still go against the evidence, without support contradicting the crime levels.

That is y the waters do not flow.

To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk
Edison

[

Colin, I don't no how you've come to the opinion that I've " attacked " anyone using this site.

OK, maybe it's your writing style or, maybe, it's the way I read it. :D

I see that you have very few posts to your name. Might be an idea to be a little less forthright until everyone gets to know you better.

Maybe I should be a little less forthright Colin, my replies were based on 30 years of being surrounded by addiction, the problems caused by it & I'm more used to posting on sites that specifically look at these problems where the other members are from the medical proffession, drug workers as well as addicts.

This being the case I ( wrongly or rightly ) assume that I have a little bit more insight into the subject than the prohabitionists that have posted on this thread as they supply no hard fact to back up their claims. Most of them being only a few lines long. As for the anti-prohabitionists nearly all the posts that have been written by them are backed up with fact. I'm sure it's frustrating to many people when the are trying to discuss a serious subject that effects millions of lives in the world today when their posts are answered with a post that have no real credentials, just folk spouting of their own mis-guided views, which is the kind of rhetoric I would expect someone who hadn't taken the time to really look into the history of drug-policies & drug treatment in Europe today.

Having an opinion is one thing, having an educated opinion is another. An example of this being when somebody posted that Afghanistan's poppy crop being destroyed would solve the heroin problem in the U.K. , anybody with any knowledge of the opium poppy knows that it's an incredibly hardy plant that grows all over the world, there used to be feilds full of it in the South of England in the 1800's & the working class were employed to milk them for their sap. Their's still a few of them about if you know what to look for.

How about that for harm reduction, let addicts grow their own poppies on land that isn't being used for anything else. Most opiate addicts would be happy enough to have an opium habit instead of a heroin habit. It would get them out into the outdoors, working the land & be a reasonably cheap method of solving the problem ?

Nice idea, but it will never happen unless we push for drug policy reform & for that to happen people really need to educate themselves to argue the point with the politicians whose only interest is to line their own pockets.

Hey mhutch , have you seen the film deliverance?

maybe you were in it?

I bet you play a mean accordian!

You dont really have any clue what you are talking about..... to be suggesting leaving gallons of methadone out on door steps at night is a direct indication of your total ignorance on this subject.

banjo actually , cheap personal attacks are a shoddy means of defence, as is searching "tepid excuses for junkies" on google

mhutch a tadge of trolling there old chap. ps you do know what the name mhutch means don't you.

i would have a fair idea, its my first initial and half my surname, unless you can slander it in some way? be my guest

not slander just the word is also slang for a person who is proud of his penis size and likes to be public about it.

a slight change of your user name maybe wise.