Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Guest Anonymous

The premises which Boots are in now was, when I was a lot younger than I am now, occupied by Templetons.

I can't remember if the chain of changes in occupancy of the building, after them. Perhaps somebody else can fill in the years between them and Boots.

:D

As far as I remember, the premises currently occupied by Boots was Liptons, followed by Templetons and then Presto. Presto moved out to the current Tesco site, allowing Boots to move in to the old building on the street. Presto was later to become Safeway, followed by Morrisons, Somerfield and now Tesco.

It seems Tesco's competition has awoken from its slumber

Well, i was one of the "its just another shop" people, and having been along for the first time tonight, thats exactly the impression i got. (apart from the rather strange waste of space, but presumably there are still shelving/displays to be installed)

For the few goods i wanted it was much more expensive than the coop, (almost double for own brand apple/orange juice).

Yes, i'll accept i could have hunted and found a few deals etc, but nothing Somerfield, or any other supersave, didn't/doesn't have.

The bottom line is that the only difference between Tesco's and those who have gone before, is the internet, and its ability to generate substatial mountains out of barely noticable molehills..

During a time when the cost of living seems to only be going up, I can fully appreciate people looking for the lowest price around. However, it appears as if there is an assumption that Tesco are cheapest on all goods v's their competitors. Just because they market special promotions at low, low prices on a selection of products does not necessarily mean they're the cheapest across the board. I hope consumers don't get fooled by their marketing might.

Guest Anonymous
During a time when the cost of living seems to only be going up, I can fully appreciate people looking for the lowest price around. However, it appears as if there is an assumption that Tesco are cheapest on all goods v's their competitors. Just because they market special promotions at low, low prices on a selection of products does not necessarily mean they're the cheapest across the board. I hope consumers don't get fooled by their marketing might.

Well said. :D

Where I stay the equivalent of Tesco is called Rima 1000. Many people are blinded by their special offers, but thankfully even more people have the common sense to look at all the prices, and hence only buy the special offers from them, and go to honest shops for everything else.

Of course, I'm not trying to say that Rima 1000 is dishonest.. But neither am I saying that Tesco is honest. :wink:

Just because they market special promotions at low, low prices on a selection of products does not necessarily mean they're the cheapest across the board. I hope consumers don't get fooled by their marketing might.

Like their home / car / whatever insurance. They've actively blocked some other comparison sites in the past from including their policies. So yeah, shop around and dinnae listen to everything Terry Wogan tells you :wink:

My supermarket(s) experience today - Being inundated with vouchers from both supermarkets, the £5 from Tesco and now the £10 vouchers off £30+ shopping at the Co-op, I thought I'd do a bit of shopping in both. I was one of those folk who welcomed Tesco, didn't have hugely strong views about them and thought that competition can be a good thing. I thought the £10 vouchers from the Co-op were particularly good value and sure to bring in trade for the Co-op...

Just about to enter Tesco when an acquaintance told me in a rather surprised manner that Tesco were taking the Co-op vouchers. My first reaction was to consider dashing back to the car to get my Co-op voucher, but then thought, no, I'm not going to enter into this.

I asked an employee inside if this was correct. He looked surprised and thought no, but said he would check with Customer Services. He came back and said, yes, you're right. I said I wouldn't be using it in Tesco anyway as I didn't agree with the tactics. He looked a bit stunned and just said that apparently they were doing it as the Co-op was taking theirs. T-i-t for tat.

I enquired out of curiosity at the checkout at the Co-op if they were indeed taking Tesco vouchers and got a puzzled look and a nooo. I then told them that Tesco were taking their Co-op vouchers and the woman I spoke to was stunned.

Not surprisingly, the Co-op was a lot quieter than Tesco today. No wonder. Sad to say, but perhaps the Co-op's going to have to toughen up if this is the tactics already and how long's Tesco been open? 2 minutes? I was looking forward to Tesco's range of products and good quality, coupled with reasonable prices and was hoping to use both supermarkets. I thought that Tesco was bound to do well and hoped they would do well through the above qualities plus refreshing customer service. They should be able to get by on good products and service without the need to lower themselves to tactics like this. But hey, what's new?

I know Paul, the Tesco manager reads this thread and I hope he reads this. Probably water off a duck's back, but they possibly underestimate the connection Shetland's had with the Co-op over the years and people's sense of justice here. Never mind, get your picture in the paper handing over a cheque to a local charity and all's well. :roll:

The taking of other stores vouchers is carried out by all the main supermarkets on the mainland.

Tesco takes Asda, Morrisons, Sainsurys etc.

Asda take Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsurys etc

Morrisons take Asda,Tesco,Sainsburys etc

Sainsbury's takes Asda, Tesco, Morrisons etc.

Seemingly the vouchers system has been mis-used in this way for many years.

Oh yes, The Co-op enter into the same moomin for tat dealings too. :D

^^^ Yes this is standard practice and it works because all of the biggies get a moderately even share. Up here, it isn't quite the same as the balance is somewhat different.

Can anyone tell me how the system works from the retailers point of view? If Tesco takes Co-op vouchers, I'm presuming that they can claim the money back from the Co-op?

I am strongly pro-choice so I welcome Tesco!

It looks like they are getting the supply chain sorted out as I managed to get a loaf of bread on the 4th visit and bananas on the 5th visit. To be fair I am one of those people who tries to be there when there are less people, so I suffered the same at Somerfield.

I think that the narrow aisles are a mistake though as too many of our fellow shoppers treat a trip to the supermarket as a social occasion and stand there blocking the aisles talking drivel.