Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Guest Anonymous
I am strongly pro-choice so I welcome Tesco!

I think that the narrow aisles are a mistake though as too many of our fellow shoppers treat a trip to the supermarket as a social occasion and stand there blocking the aisles talking drivel.

Not that I agree with Tesco in any way, but they aren't the only ones guilty of the narrow isle syndrome. One of our local supermarkets, has the same problem.

And they also suffer from the "static shopper" syndrome, where old women (some of them female), block the isles while they discuss the weather, etc..

And, yes, I agree with Brink. Relax the gun laws and let quick shoppers take advantage of the law of nature by eliminating the slowest members of the herd.

:wink: :lol:

Can anyone tell me how the system works from the retailers point of view? If Tesco takes Co-op vouchers, I'm presuming that they can claim the money back from the Co-op?

Im fairly certain that the individual retailer simply allows the voucher as if their own, ie they take the hit

Tesco or Co-op, they are both big multi million pound businesses. The Co-op has just bought out Somerfield, and as Peter Marks, Chief Executive of The Co-operative Group said:

"This is good news for consumers and for competition in the grocery market, where we will create a stronger fifth player in food and a convenience store chain with unrivalled geographic reach.

So save yourselves the angst and shop with whoever is offering the cheapest deal that week - then their is only one winner.....You!

^^^ Yes this is standard practice and it works because all of the biggies get a moderately even share. Up here, it isn't quite the same as the balance is somewhat different.

Can anyone tell me how the system works from the retailers point of view? If Tesco takes Co-op vouchers, I'm presuming that they can claim the money back from the Co-op?

If the Scottish COOP offers the Shetland public a £10 voucher to spend in it's Lerwick store it incurs an investment on the promotion,

TESCO thanks the COOP for the promotional investment and will be pleased to honour any COOP voucher/coupon issued to the Shetland public............

you will never be worse off with Tesco in Shetland.

Fair Trade for the Common Man

Hmmm, was interested to learn about Tesco taking the Co-op vouchers..... so thanks for that.

Have noticed that Tesco too suffers from the inability to ensure that the offers on the shelves match what is plugged into the computerised till system. The Co-op are guilty of this too. I sometimes wonder if it's deliberate and they hope people will not notice or will not be bothered to go back to Customer Services to get the necessary refund.

So, study your receipts closely and be bothered to go back if a mistake has been made :-) I went to Tesco Customer services last week in relation to a bottle of wine that was on offer from 6.99 to 4.98 but I was charged full price. TESCO doubled my refund so instead of receiving the £2.01 difference, they refunded me £4.02. I was pretty pleased with that.

Other than that, I'm enjoying having two supermarkets in Lerwick again. I'll now return to getting some messages in Lerwick - from both supermarkets - but will continue to do most of my grocery shopping in Scalloway.

If the Scottish COOP offers the Shetland public a £10 voucher to spend in it's Lerwick store it incurs an investment on the promotion,

TESCO thanks the COOP for the promotional investment and will be pleased to honour any COOP voucher/coupon issued to the Shetland public............

You just can't stop, can you. I'd go see a doctor - they may be able to help remove the tesco bible you've obviously swallowed :wink:.

OK, since you mentioned it:

...but not for the turtles.

^^ If you look back a few posts, you'll see Malcolm and TeeAyBee say that it's common practice south for the big supermarkets to accept each other's vouchers. I enquired again at the checkout in the Co-op yesterday and it seems the Co-op here still aren't doing this, so it still seems a bit one-sided, however that seems to be a decision the Co-op is choosing to make. Acording to Malcolm, the Co-op does do this south.

What is this all about? Tesco is saying they will redeem all vouchers belonging to rival companies. Is this underhand dealing or what?

Last year Morrison's was due to open a big new supermarket in the north of Dundee. Big fanfare about opening date - but then it didn't happen because the traffic chaps were not satisfied about the access (from the main road north) and so it was postponed for a few months while they put in more traffic lights or something and it eventually opened not long before Christmas.

The point about the vouchers was, for the 4 weeks from the first opening date, Tesco had already sent us (Clubcard holders) vouchers for I think £10 per week if you spent so much; obviously designed to persuade you not to go to the new place for the normal weekly shop. Then when the opening finally did happen, they did it again - this time to a higher value. I think in the end I had almost £100-worth of vouchers from Tesco - and Morrison's had big signs up all over the city saying they would accept them. That's a lot of money - I was more than pleased with the saving and, having gone once to Morrison's for a look and found nothing I wanted to buy, I never went back .

You just can't stop, can you. I'd go see a doctor - they may be able to help remove the tesco bible you've obviously swallowed :wink:.

OK, since you mentioned it:

...but not for the turtles.

Why do you not see the wood for the trees?

"Tesco entered the Chinese market in September 2004 acquiring a 50 % stake in Hymall...an existing chain of supermarkets based in Shanghai. When entering a new market, our preference is to work with existing retailers who understand the needs and tastes of local customers.

..turtles and frogs are a traditional and popular part of the diet in China, are consumed widely alongside other meats. ...sold by most food retailers in the country.... We are aware that this may be one of a number of habits and tastes that do not translate easily to Western culture and that some people in this country may find them difficult to accept. We believe however that it would be wrong to impose our values on other countries,regardless of local feeling, attitudes and tradition".

A very wide and open outlook..... unlike Livingstones entry into Africa "Clothe them and teach them the Bible readings" those guys were happier dancing around a campfire bare arsed than they ever have been since Western man imposed what he thought was best on them.....TESCO have blended not tried to change the ways of the locals.

Guest posiedon

I'll ask a straight question of Salmon, and expect a straight answer.

How much of the meat sold in Tesco stores is halal or kosher?

Straight answer please.

And why isn't it clearly labeled so that folk who don't agree with cutting an animals throat and letting itl bleed to death, can avoid it?