Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Myself and some freinds from south spent 2 weeks in Iceland touring about in 2008, before the Icelandic banking problems started .

Back then it was about 138-140k to the pound and it worked out fuel prices were slightly more than south prices but slightly cheaper than Shetland prices ( so worked out good for me ) , within a few pence either way .

So probably the exchange rates due to the Icelandic banking problems is why the prices are cheaper in Iceland .

But still back in 2008 , Faroe fuel prices was about 98p per litre , about 30p cheaper than local prices

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11505044

The UK government hopes to bring in a scheme to cut the cost of petrol in some of the country's remotest communities, it has been revealed.

Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander said officials were in talks to introduce a duty discount.

He told the Liberal Democrat conference in Dunfermline that up to 5p could be saved on a litre of fuel.

Mr Alexander said the government hoped to start a pilot scheme in the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland.

^^^

Yea, we should be monitoring the 'behaviour' of suppliers, now and in the aftermath of whatever scheme is set up. It will be very easy otherwise for them to inflate the price ahead of any decrease - a bit like the way everything goes back to RRP level just before the lovely SALE reductions signs go in the window.

Shouldn't begrudge any movement on this however so I for one welcome this small token. At least if a scheme is approved at EU level it is then down to the Member State to arrive at the level of intervention applied - we can then continue to monitor how far removed the Shetland average price is from the UK average and lobby accordingly.

^^^

I believe that the strikes in France have closed a number of refineries, which in turn has driven up the price of fuel across Europe.

Pesky French, the only thing they seem to do with any gusto is strike.

You could be right Seaflech, but I doubt that the Petrol already in Shetland was bought at the dearer price ! When I drove past this morning I could not believe that a ltr of desiel had gone up to 134.9p after the rise less than a week ago. If leasks/gulf wanted me to help pay for thier new pumps, they should only have asked!!!

I have bought most of my fuel there since they opened, but I can't help think I'm being ripped off, so from now on all my business will go eleswhere.

The goverment may eventually agree to knock off 5p per litre, but thats already been met by the increases this week!!

• 1 month later...

Leasks aka Scottish/Highland Fuels put thier prices up to 136.9L for Diesel.

I won't mention the expletives that came out of my mouth when I read thier sign today. :x

It wasnt too long ago they put it from 131.9 to 133.9, then 132.9, then 135.9 (for a day) all within the space of a week, and finally it has sat at 134.9 for a few weeks now.

I was in Orkney a few weeks ago and fuel there was 5-6p/Litre cheaper than Shetland, yet both isles are serviced by the same fuel boats, as are the Western Isles, who have cheaper fuel than Orkney. What amazes me is the fact the ship travels further to get there, yet the fuel is cheaper??.

So who says they dont have a monopoly eh? turning a blind eye to it wont make them drop thier prices, blockade at the depot anyone? :D