Should drugs be legalised?

Should drugs be legalised?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Should drugs be legalised?

• Yes
    • No
    • Its not a yes/no question
    • Undecided

I came across this report today. It doesn't mention the Netherlands declining crime rate as a direct result of their approach to drugs legislation, but it will be interesting to follow this story and see what transpires:

http://www.morungexpress.com/international/24404.html

Amsterdam, May 26 (Agencies): The Dutch justice ministry has announced it will close eight prisons and cut 1,200 jobs in the prison system. A decline in crime has left many cells empty. During the 1990s the Netherlands faced a shortage of prison cells, but a decline in crime has since led to overcapacity in the prison system. The country now has capacity for 14,000 prisoners but only 12,000 detainees.

Deputy justice minister Nebahat Albayrak announced on Tuesday that eight prisons will be closed, resulting in the loss of 1,200 jobs. Natural redundancy and other measures should prevent any forced lay-offs, the minister said. The overcapacity is a result of the declining crime rate, which the ministry's research department expects to continue for some time.

Some reprieve might come from a deal with Belgium, which is facing overpopulation in its prisons. The two countries are working out an agreement to house Belgian prisoners in Dutch prisons. Some five-hundred Belgian prisoners could be transferred to the Tilburg prison by 2010. The Netherlands would get 30 million euros in the deal, and it will allow the closing of the prisons in Rotterdam and Veenhuizen to be postponed until 2012.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, booze and fighting go together, too.

no have to disagree there, pilticks that drink and fighting go together but then pilticks will find an excuse to fight whatever state they are in.

BF if you wish to witter sharn like that then lets hope it is you and yours that gets foot-sucked up on smack and not some youngster that reads this site and then thinks smack is safe as long as you take care, because Baron darlingwit and many others said so.

^ Nobody has said that smack is safe. Quite the opposite. But you are the one who is arguing that it should be as dangerous as possible.

You might as well argue that seatbelts make people feel too safe, and therefore drive too fast. Let's ban them and see how road fatality statistics are affected.

Where did I say smack was ok? I was merely pointing out the lack of logic in your own post. I have an intense and active opposition to the distribution of junk. As I stated in one of my earliest posts on this forum, my opinion is that since there are only two ways for smack to get onto this island, the brave "viking" men should get together and sort out the people who are profiting at our childrens' expense once and for all.

For some bloke( I assume you are male) to churn out this crap about Darwin etc on the internet saying it's ok for people to OD makes my pish boil, and people like you with your simple worldview have repeatedly demonstrated that you have nothing relevant to add to this complex debate otherwise you would have come up with a solution by now.

Get a life, and a heart.

How the hell do you know anything about my own experiences with any drug? I may have lost friends too, as well you don't know.

As for wishing harm on me and mine, there you have crossed a line, and can Farkoff.

You have shown yourself to be absolutely clueless and thoroughly ignorant in your correspondence on this and many other issues, I have noticed, spouting many a supposition not based on any fact.

I pity the sheep.

lets hope it is you and yours that gets foot-sucked up on smack and not some youngster that reads this site and then thinks smack is safe as long as you take care, because Baron darling and many others said so.

Have you read your sig? Pots, kettles, glass houses and all that.

Give the poor child a break. He has lost friends due to drink and others to drugs. If we desert him he will have no friends left.

It may be more serious than that :wink:

you will complain about the tobbaco companies selling and profiteering from their highly addictive and lethal product but you want to put smack in the same class you are ignorant beyond belief.

there is no such thing as recreational herion use, only6 the missguided and the truly stupid folk in this world think there is or ever can be.

Once you start using the turd on a regular basis you are screwed no matter how "clean" or consistant the quality is.

And if the fear of OD keeps one kid from trying it then it is worth it

Exactly. if the doctors can use a safe version of heroin, how is it the public cannot access a safe alternative. Hundreds more die from driving cars but no-one wants to ban driving. The point is, just because you don't agree with something, doesn't make it wrong. Just because sky-diving is dangerous and you or i possibly might not do it because of the dangers posed. Its down to the personal choice of the person. As long as their choices do not infringe upon freedoms or safety of others. The government has created a perpetual cycle where upon the addicts of today cannot access their necessary drugs safely and cause them/us to seek it out in the darker unregulated and unsafe circles of unsavory characters where shiningans are afoot (adulterants). I hate booze, but you don't catch me judging those who partake. Not openly anyway. Any judgments i make are open to change and reason. Something which i note a lot of you are averse to.

Regarding heroin( most of this info is already elsewhere on this thread, I just thought we could use a reminder):

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/hatreatm.htm

The swiss model of treatment would appear to be the way forward, already having been utilised in Germany, Holland, canada and australia with much success( Also denmark as of january this year, success unknown yet). Interesting to note point 10:

"The UK is exceptional internationally because heroin is included in the range of legally sanctioned treatments for opiate dependence. In practice, this treatment option is rarely utilised: only about 448 heroin users receive heroin on prescription."

Source: Stimson, Gerry V., and Nicky Metrebian, Centre for Research on Drugs and Health Behavior, "Prescribing Heroin: What is the Evidence?" (London, England: Rowntree Foundation, 2003), p. 1. "

So heroin is available on prescription for addicts, doctors just choose to use methadone.

I found that link while looking for some worldwide heroin addiction stats broken down by country, can anyone help?