Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

I got a surprising email from o2 last night:

Hello,

We are aware that you might not have been getting the broadband speeds you expected, particularly between 5-11pm.

We believe this is the result of network congestion in your area, in particular where we have a number of high volume users. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

The great news is that we have upgraded our network capacity in your area and you should see an improvement in your connection speeds. Work is still ongoing to ensure your connection speeds are as high as possible.

Best regards,

The O2 Home Broadband Team

O2 don't have any network capacity (other than mobile) in Shetland. There is no LLU in Lerwick or in any other exchange in Shetland. Every package bought from ISPs are basically re-badged BT product. The only think that might change is the traffic shaping and/or usage limits.

That said, BT seem to be making some sort of improvements... so you may well see an improvement in connection speeds...

About ready to combust after 2 months on the phone to Indian call centres courtesy of BT Broadband. My broadband in Gulberwick was a steady 2.5mb for 3 years and all of a sudden dropped to little more than dial up 2 months ago.

Countless phone calls and engineers visits, another one tommorrow and my IP profile is still stuck at 135kbps. Engineer can find nothing wrong with my end so must be exchange.

Anyone else in fair Gulberwick having to cope with pre ADSL speeds or is it just me. Cannot contact BT directly in Shetland hopefully someone knows the local reason?

Rant over...Back to IPLAYER to watch an hour long show in 4 hours!

I'm having exactly the same problem!

After lenghty calls to Bombay, my internet speed in the middle of Gulberwick is still 356kbps, and they seem to refuse to send out an engineerto look at the exchange, even though 8 of my neighbours have the same problem!

It is very funny to see how keen BT is to upgrade every thing now. Now that the council is looking into other ways of helping some other outfits to supply. Phone and Broadband Services in the Shetland Islands. Same old story Hit them where it hurts BT the most. In the wallet

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the power cut last Friday after my broadband came back on Saturday it has been sooo sllloooooowwwww! It usually runs at over 6mb but on my last numerous speed tests is down to 472Kb, as slow as dial-up connection.

BT are being very frustrating and was just wondering if anyone else was having similar problems.